[RELEASE] Hubitat Package Manager (HPM) -- HubitatCommunity

So is this update the "official" migration? Or do we need to watch for that later?

Updated all four of my hubs and had to repair each one. Got the error shown above on all hubs.

Tried to update 3 hubs, same error as above and non finished on their own, Looks liek it did update, did a repair just in case.

Yes, official. If you look in View Apps and Drivers you should see:

Screen Shot 2022-05-29 at 9.06.54 AM

2 Likes

I actually finished v1.8.4 before starting v1.8.3 as a migration specific solution. :smiley: I wanted to reduce the load on my brain for errors like this aren't part of code I touched. For this release, only the repo links were updated. I cannot reproduce the error at will, making debug extremely difficult, thus my advice to Repair after.

Update is the process of deducing what needs to be replaced. Repair only does a replace. I'm not sure how the first can go bad :smiley: Anyway, once this phase is past, I can release 1.8.4, which I'm itching to do.

3 Likes

Thanks, I was just making sure as I thought there was a beta phase and that the "official" version was something we would have to install as a parallel app eventually (and then remove the original app)

Glad it was this painless (although I too had to do a repair for some reason)

As I said, I don't see how it can go off the rails, and it goes wonky on a different line number. Yet another clue that doesn't make sense. :slight_smile: On the other hand, I'm very confident in the Repair-after method.

Just updated 3 hubs (2 C7s, 1 C5) and they all finished in about 30 seconds without errors. Went from 1.8.2 to 1.8.3.

Go figure!

1 Like

Just FYI, the "Community Thread" link still points to the old thread (for 1.8.3).

:smiley:
At the time, THIS thread was rather empty :slight_smile:

I'll change it for 1.8.4

3 Likes

@csteele, looking forward to 1.8.4. Thanks for all your work! Like RM, HPM is perhaps the most universally useful app available on HE (HPM made even more significant as its a community app and illustrates what makes the HE community and hub so special). Thanks for keeping it going!

1 Like

It wouldn't have gone away, I easily imagine there were several others that would have jumped in if I had not raised my hand first. :raised_hand: :smiley: :wave:

2 Likes

I've got v1.8.4 "in the bag" and have 1.8.5 well on it's way. The primary feature for 1.8.5 is "Bundles" support. For a single driver or app, bundles are a tiny user benefit. Anyone who's pasted a Driver into "Apps Code" or an App into "Drivers Code" would see how having a single "universal" install would save a click or two in that case. Otherwise it's perhaps a click or two more to use a bundle. However, anytime there's more than one code package involved, bundles save a lot of clicks... and errors I imagine. It's the #1 reason I built HubConnect bundles... to get Apps into Apps and Drivers into Drivers, since HubConnect needs both just to work.

*    csteele v1.8.5     Bundles support added.
 *    csteele v1.8.4     Migrated to HubitatCommunity
 *                         added txtEnable to silence log.info messages
 *                         use httpS for Fast Search 
 *    csteele v1.8.3     No change here. Changes were to Dominic's repo to cause an upgrade to here.
 *    csteele v1.8.2.A   Converted to using HubitatCommunity.com as the search resource.

and:

Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 1.32.25 PM

After that, I have nothing... :smiley:

7 Likes

One request if you are up for it is to change the release note display in the app from multi text to a paragraph or input field that displays HTML. As a developer I have wanted to include HTML in my HPM manifest releaseNotes key to things like upgrade instructions.

That would be nice. Another benefit is that a lot of apps seem to just say "see community thread for patch notes." If it was html they could include a link to it.

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 10.43.30 PM

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 10.44.41 PM

I thought that's what those blue words were for...
as implemented by:
Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 10.46.09 PM

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 10.46.24 PM

1 Like

Those will take you to specific links defined in the manifest. As part of a major release of my Google Calendar search I had to create one off upgrade instructions that I mentioned via the releaseNotes key but because the display uses multi text the link wasn’t clickable. Plus it would be nice to include other HTML like bullets, bold, underline, etc.

This is the multi text field I am referring to that doesn’t support HTML:

1 Like

Is this app being deprecated in favor of Bundle Manager? I installed a new app from Package Manager and was told I need to switch to using Bundle Manager for future updates.
I hate the idea of having multiple "package managers" installed just to do something as infrequent as install apps/drivers.

1 Like

They are different apps from different authors, though both can ultimately be used for a similar purpose. HPM has, seemingly, a large community following now, while the other apps is newer. I suppose it is TBD where the "market" will take either. (There are actually some feature differences: HPM works directly with app and driver files now, where as the latter works with "bundles," a feature that didn't exist at the time when HPM was created but perhaps would have made things easier and might be able to be retro-fitted into the existing structure. It also doesn't support libraries, which should be able to be added in a similar fashion.)

If you infrequently install apps or drivers--and even if you do so frequently--you don't truly "need" either app. You can do so manually, and especially if the author provides direct links to "raw" URLs, they are fairly easy to either import via URL or copy/paste yourself. The new-ish "Bundles" feature on the hub is also supposed to make this easier for multi-file apps/drivers/libraries--regardless of whether that's you doing it or an app pretending to be you doing it for you (basically how these both work, given no truly "native" support for this kind of thing). :smiley:

2 Likes

The fact that installing certain apps from Package Manager (which means there is no problem with them being installed from it) and then having the app tell me I should be using a different packager manager (Bundle Manager in this case) is ridiculous. This is the type of app we do NOT need multiple of. Not only is it bad for the end user who will have to research which one contains what they want to use (if they don't want to install everything manually), but I imagine it would be bad for all other app/driver devs as they will have to keep two package managers in mind when choosing support.

Why does there really have to be a whole new one? It would be better to just add the features to the established app. Can that other dev not submit pull requests with these features?

1 Like