[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

I created several widgets with a 10 min refresh rate and just kept an eye on them without opening the app to see if the states were generally in sync. It seemed like it was while I was away last night but this morning I did notice one of the widgets was out of sync. Looking at the logs, I see the API call to get the device state failed.

I'm not 100% sure yet but it appears as if the refresh is happening before the device is connected/online. I'll look into if this is happening and if so I'll see if there's a way to delay the refresh until the device is actually online

1 Like

Might this be a victim of Android saving power by turning off Wi-Fi when the screen is off?

It looks like the app itself needs to be running for the widget to refresh. Once I started it, the widget would refresh.

Because I primarily use the widget feature in my car, I've set the widgets to refresh every 2 minutes. Other than data usage do you see any draw backs to refreshing this often?

Also, Not a big deal, but when I manage the widgets in the HD app I see listings for widgets I've removed from the OS desktop. Anyway to only show active widgets? Also, how can I remove widgets in the "Configure Widget" list?

@jpage4500 Actually, I am still having widget refresh problems, on my my car unit and my Samsung S10+. I think it is probably just the garage door widget. We had this issue when you first added the garage door tile and I think you had to add some special timing. You were just going ahead and changing the tile status upon click, and then verifying it after 10-15 seconds. I think this is what the widget needs.

I've been testing widget update states on my phone the last few days.. so far it's worked pretty well but I did notice 1 time where a device was out of sync. I'm testing now with logic that waits until there's an Internet connection (up to a few seconds) because I think what was happening was -- the widgets were being updated every X minutes but the API call to get the latest state was failing.

Anyway, it's slow going but with my kids activities starting up again I'll be out of the house a lot more -- so I'll get a lot more cloud testing in

1 Like

This is a great app, thanks for all the hard work. I added an image URL from one of my security cameras and set it to update every 10 seconds, it works, but there is a flicker each time it updates.
I would post a link, but apparently not.

1 Like

Hi, yes I've seen that too. I looked into it a while back but I'll add it to the TODO list and see if I can figure out how a fix

Thanks. I'm new to Hubitat, evaluating a move from Smart things. So far cool project like this one have me leaning to making the jump.

Feature request: Tile that displays the temp and battery level from an Ecolink Firefighter Z wave device.

version 1.0.978 (beta)

• prevent image tile refresh from flickering
  • when widgets update, wait for device to get online
  • don't show hidden devices in widget selection screen

I tested this and it worked for me but if you get a chance, can you also try it out and let me know?

I hadn't been able to spend as much time as I'd like on this but I did put in logic to ensure the device is online before refreshing widgets. It's been working for me in the limited testing I've done. I'm using a 5 minute refresh rate (for widgets) and I haven't noticed any battery drain either FWIW.. likely due to Android not updating widgets when the phone is sleeping and only when it's woken up.

done

2 Likes

FWIW - I wasn't sure if this was possible.. I found a post on stackoverflow.com that said You cannot add or remove app widgets from the home screen. Only the user can do that.

@ngcard I don't know what your waiting for, its an easy switch. I just had to commit, because since the switch my home automation system actual works!!! I would never go back to smartthings. Hubitat is SOO much better!

My checklist used to switch over:

1. Webcore supported (YES)
  2. Echo-Speaks (only works with Hubitat now!!) Major reason I switched over.
  3. Z-wave device support (yes and better managed)
  4. Zigbee device support (duh)
  5. ActionTiles support (it's already in beta). But after working with Dashboards, probably not even a consideration now.
  6. IDE and custom app/device handlers (oh boy, so much better with Hubitat) All my custom apps were easily migrated over from smartthings and the community here is way more interested in development and supportive!
  7. Price (I'd pay it again no hands down, only thing I regret is digging into smartthings in the first place, should had gone with Hubitat from the start

Seriously, its so much better, the local control is really local and so much faster. Alexa and GH support is so much better. Thermostat control now really works. Update are typically painless. The ability to maintain backup is awesome. Make the switch you will not be disappointed.

3 Likes

Just checked it out. Looks great! Thank you so much.

Yes I knew it was inevitable. I'm in! I now even have a great Dashboard app to use on my phone thanks to @jpage4500.

I forgot to mention this but I added support for localized dates to the status text in the last update. Please let me know if that doesn't work!

1 Like

This should also be fixed in the latest beta version as well

1 Like

oops.. I realized that devices inside of folders are considered 'hidden' too so I'll need to change this back. I'll find a better way to show active devices in the widget list

FWIW - I was finally able to test the in-app update logic (only available for non-Play Store versions) on my Wink Relay. I think the first version that worked was a recent one though (I updated from that version to the latest).

Its been updating on its own and working fine. Its updated to the latest version 1.0.978

I own an Ambient Weather Station and use KurtSanders app which presents the weather station as a device with a bunch of attributes. If I use the "Multiple Value Sensor" device type, I can select from a short list of display items. Is there any way to select any of the other attributes?

Thanks again, great app!