[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Not sure if this is what you're asking for but it seems possible to get the current day's calendar events if you have a Calendar setup on the device you're using (ie: a Google account setup and calendar data synced)

Yes exactely! Id like to stay "local" though...so it would be great to show the calender events of a calender app installed on the device. Maybe a wide tile that shows the events of today and tomorrow. Or two tiles one for today one for tomorrow. And clicking on the tile would open the calender app. This would be pretty useful!

I was just thinking yesterday that the Date/Time tile needs an action when (short) pressed. I was thinking maybe a full screen clock, possibly with alarms. But a list of upcoming appointments on half the screen and a large clock on the other also sounds good (maybe making one or the other optional and have the other one be full screen if the optional one is unchecked).

Perhaps the current date/time tile would look the same at single width, but provide this additional information when larger, and full information when pressed (to popup a full screen version).

1 Like

yeah, i was thinking that too. I was initially thinking it could open the Clock app like some launcher widgets do. I'm pretty sure whatever large 'clock' i try to show myself won't look as good unless there's some open source clock library for Android that I could use.

That makes sense too.. maybe a larger version of the date tile could show other info like calendar events. Again though, if there's some open source calendar library I could show that would be better :slight_smile:

1 Like

missed this one.. yep, that's how it'd work. I noticed a way to query calendar events from the device.. ultimately though this data comes from whatever calendar data source you added.. so, if you setup a google account it should pull in all of those calendar events to the device. But, yes - only local phone data would be displayed

1 Like

Not quite that fast but I did push a fix for the date not updating. I also fixed an issue with image tiles refreshing from the network (not using a cached version) faster than the refresh rate they're configured with. It's not noticeable with small images but I didn't want to have to re-download those large animated NOAA images more than necessary!

2 Likes

That's good. The radar/satellite images were intermittently not loading; maybe this will help.

Also, did the dark grey theme go away (with 1.0.489)? My theme reverted to Festive and I don't see it. I don't mind the new light grey background, but if the dark grey was there I would prefer it.

Speaking of themes... this is a low priority for me but useful (especially for mounted tablets). What about a night/day option for the themes? So it would use one theme for day, another for night. It looks like that info (sunrise/sunset) is available if the Open Weather device is enabled.

1 Like

I didn't think anyone would miss that one! Guess I was wrong - sorry

I did add a couple of new themes.. hard to call them that really since they're just a single background color that I thought looked pretty good so I wanted a quick way to set it (not that it's super hard to change all tile colors at once either). I'm still searching for the right color scheme to use for my tablets (the festive one makes for great screenshots but for wall mounted tablets I like a much more 'quiet' version like you). Anyway, I'll add that one back in the next version.. probably call it something more descriptive but the color was "#434443" if you wanted to get back to it today.

1 Like

btw - that "Blue Icons" one was next on my list.. I should probably just fix it instead. There's logic in the app to change any image color to any other color which is great since I don't have to embed more images into the app. But, it really only 'works' for solid white icons. Maybe I can fix it though to ignore non-white icons (safety monitor, 'on' lights, etc) or just replace the white color in an image..

Plus, I should probably change the text color for things like date/temp to match as well

What sort of resources are needed for the tablet? I was waiting for Actiontiles to release a HE version -- but, it seems to require some juice. I had been kicking around fire vs galaxy vs wally world onn tabs.

not anything special.. I'm running it on a fire tablet and an old Vizio TV remote (back when they thought including a cheap tablet as a tv remote was a good idea).

I do know those fire tablets are slow and bloated which is why I rooted mine and replaced the OS. however, the app will run fine on the stock OS. The only thing the app on a fire tablet might not be able to do today is turn the screen off at night and on in the morning. that requires you to remove the device lock screen

@dabber, try it, this app is VERY responsive and is very easy to setup and use. Works local or remotely. No cost, no ads. Features are being added weekly, at least so far. Not as fancy as some, but that keeps improving as well.

I forgot that we could change it our self! No need to add it back on my account. Might be nice to give us some (3-4 slots) user defined themes so we can easily switch back and forth.

Running it on a very old Samsung tablet, it doesn't get any FW or OS updates any more, and can't even install a lot of current apps. The dashboard works perfectly on it.

Thanks -- I have an OLD nook with the play store -- I don't remember which version of the OS. I'm installing my new alarm system tomorrow, so I'll at least see what it looks like on the ancient machine. I do have some newer ones. If all looks good, i'll get one of those cheap walmart tabs to mount.

1 Like

This isn't quite as easy but close. You can export the config from the app (menu->more->export). That saves everything (colors, folders, sizes, etc) and can be easily re-applied anytime. I've got a couple of different layouts now which I'm switching between

1 Like

A big plus in my book.

I don't think it's older than mine. 4.4, kit-kat, was its last update. This app not only saved the tablet from the landfill, it has made it an essential part of HA here.

This is a fabulous feature!

1 Like

Dang, you have gone and challenged me to an "Oldest Tablet Duel!"

Well pardner, it looks like you..............win. Darn it!! I'm on Marshmallow. :wink:

1 Like

:rofl: