[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

version 1.0.1727 (beta)

• auto-home feature
  • fix issue where a connection failure results in app not refreshing anymore
  • allow user to set presence coordinates outside of maps view
  • fix displaying release notes on update dialog

I implemented a new 'auto home' feature which has been asked for a few times over the years. It's in the More Options menu (of course.. I'm going to organize that someday!). When enabled, the app will auto return to the main dashboard after 30 seconds of inactivity. So, if you leave the app showing a folder or with a dialog or device prompt displayed - it'll return back to the main screen on it's own. I can add a custom timeout period later if desired but want to get the basic feature tested first.

NOTE: it's not going to start the app or bring the app into the foreground.. something like that would likely require the app to be the default 'launcher' (aka: Fully Kiosk)

The other big change is I found and fixed a bug where the app could stop updating tiles. It's an edge case but I found it while debugging one of my always on tablets which could sometimes end up in this state. Like always I can't promise there's not more bugs like this but I'm doing my best to squash them all!

1 Like

It can be done in the latest beta version. It's a little hidden though. To manually enter a radius you can press and hold on the "Location" setting or on the coordinates in the map view.

I just tried to enable presence, but when I pull up to place the pin, the page is completely blank and doesn't show me a map. Any idea what might cause that? (pixel 5)

@jpage4500 Joe can you please let us adjust the back tile size again. All the 3d printed frames I made make it impossible to actually hit the back button rendering them all useless with my desired number of columns.

@jpage4500 Joe something has happened that is keeping the app from allowing shortcut application tiles from being added to the dashboard.

I just was able to add a shortcut to another Android app and a website fine. What did you try to add the shortcut to?

I have temp sensors to monitor freezer temps. Is there a way to set up a tile so if the temp falls out of a set range the tile would change color to alert me that there is a problem?

I'm using the Google Maps SDK to display that Map. I haven't tried it on any Amazon Fire devices but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work there (not that many Amazon Fire tablets would need to use geofencing anyway). I did occasionally run into the app crashing when opening that screen and the error was clearly in the Google Maps library but I didn't see any obvious way around it. The only other error I can imagine is if the API key I'm using hits it's limit.

Anyway, I did recently add a way to enter location coordinates without opening up the map (long-press on the Location setting). If others have similar problems with showing the map I can make that manual entry dialog more robust too

This is solved I had more than 100 shortcuts.

I'm also getting the blank map when trying to set a geofence:

There might be a reason/explanation in the device logs if you want to look at them or send them over? menu -> about -> support

My only guess is the Maps API key isn't working.. but not sure why it'd work for my test devices either

Just emailed the logs over.

thanks for the logs! I think I know what's happening and it's just a configuration issue when building and uploading to google play beta (that doesn't happen when I test beforehand).

1 Like

@jpage4500 shortcut app links are not working again. This time I am trying to add Best Buy app to the dashboard but it doesn't appear on my dashboard. I think it's somewhere I limbo because if I click on a folder and select manage it is in the list but it just won't show up. Also I am having lots of crash and resets of my dashboard. I have to keep restoring my dashboard. Something has gone haywire somewhere in the last few updates.

Could you send me a device log? That might help explain what's going on. I have only seen a few random crashes coming in and most just affecting 1 user. I've fixed the ones I can identify but not sure if that's going to help your case or not.

I've tried adding a couple of different shortcuts and they work fine so it'll be important to me to figure out what's different in your case so I can fix it

The app on my Samsung Tab4 is crashing at least once per day and sometimes as much as 3.

How do I check/set that the reports are being sent? I see nothing in the logs about the app crashing.

I'm using a crash logging library, Crashlytics/Fabric, to track these. The app doesn't log anything although I think I will add that going forward for cases like these

version 1.0.1743 (beta)

• fix showing google map in presence->location
  • fix connection issue when app wakes device

There's only a few changes in this version:

• One is not showing the google map in presence->location.. this was a build issue - not including the Google Maps API key which is needed
  • The other is hopefully the end of refresh issues with one of my wall mounted tablets.. I was able to narrow the root cause down to an Android OS issue with my older OS tablet. It happened when the tablet was 'woke' up in the morning. I'm relying on UI events to know when the main screen is displayed and hidden and making sure that I stop all work when the app goes into the background. But, this particular tablet was sending these events out of order - resulting in the app closing the connection to the Hub even though the screen was displayed. Anyway, I'll be verifying this one over the next few mornings too
  • I also tried to fix a few crashes that were reported but these only affected 1 user each
1 Like

FWIW, as of the previous .1727 update (and including today's .1743) Hubitat Dashboard no longer runs at all on the Wink Relay (as I appear to be the only Relay user I guess I can make that statement LOL). It installs without error but when started, it gets as far as producing a screen which says 'No Devices Found' then exits with an 'Unfortunately Hubitat Dashboard has stopped' message.

Personally, I'm OK with version .1572 on the Relay (it's the most recent .APK file I happened to have saved, though more recent versions prior to .1727 also worked); it suits my needs perfectly. I appreciate your efforts to maintain compatibility thus far; it's been a good run.

The features description of the app probably should delete references to Android 4.3 if it is indeed no longer supported.

Hmm.. I'll have to look at what could have changed recently that would have stopped it from working. Nothing I did on purpose. I went through all of my old devices and the oldest one I have is a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 5.0.2 and it ran the app great.

I will say a lot of the libraries I use don't support anything below API19 (some API21) so it was inevitable at some point (the Relay is API17).

Too bad though.. I know the Wink Relay has it's uses and I had one running for several years too.. they just don't make these types of devices today (or at least not for the price)

1 Like