[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

version 1.0.1259 (beta)

Most of the changes in this version are related to widgets:

• you can add the HSM (home safety monitor) tile as a widget
    • clicking on it brings up the change HSM mode prompt for a quick way to change HSM modes
  • button devices are supported now as widgets
    • if you have a single-button device and don't select "prompt to toggle" option - clicking the widget will send the "push" command to the hub
    • otherwise (multiple-button device OR you select "prompt to toggle" option), clicking on the widget will bring up a little dialog with up to 4 buttons on it (see image below)
    • NOTE on the button dialog displayed below - if you press and hold on any of the buttons the "hold" command will be sent to the hub. You can also double-click to send "doubleTap".. not sure how many people have actions for these but I wanted to support them
  • I'm checking for Hub updates 15 seconds after the app starts.. this time the 'update' tile will always go to the bottom of the list to avoid any unexpected re-arranging of the tiles while you're looking at them; Once the initial check is done, the next one isn't for 2 hours as before

side-note.. that "Prompt to Toggle" widget setting might be confusing.. I'll think of a better label.. but basically:
-- if disabled and you click on the widget - the 'toggle' command will be sent to the hub right away - no UI
-- if enabled, you'll get a prompt dialog before any command is sent to the hub

2 Likes

Excellent! Thank you!!

Send prompt?

Send confirmation?

Confirmation before send.

Prompt before send.

hmm.. that shouldn't ever happen. I've tried to make sure the updates are backwards compatible with anything saved from older versions. Are you updating via Google Play, Amazon App Store or manually? I submit the exact same apk for all 3 of them so it shouldn't matter - just curious. I also have Fire tablets but not running the default Fire OS

I'm wondering how useful it'd be to have an always visible 'version' or 'hub info' tile though if that's what you're suggesting. At least personally I'm only interested if there's an update.

That said, I haven't spent much time with the Hubitat Information type apps on the hub.. do you know if any of them have any details about an update? If so, I could try to look for that specifically and maybe use a custom tile to display it. Anyway, a hubitat driver like that would have a lot more information available to it so that seems like it could be better than anything I could do myself

Generally, I've tried to avoid adding my own 'drivers' like the pollen tile -- only because the Hub is better suited for that and you only have to do it once on the hub vs on every phone/tablet that wants to view/control it.

Somewhat related, I know there's a hubitat pollen app and I was planning on using that originally but I think I wanted to see more data than the driver was getting (I think it's getting 3 days worth and I wanted to get 5). Also, I wanted to have a custom tile and not an HTML tile so it was just easier to do all inside the app..

I tried to fix this one in the latest version.. I verified I could parse both date formats that are returned
2021-10-31T15:15:00.000-0400 and 2021-10-31T15:15:00.000Z. What I'm not sure of is if the dates will be correct without the timezone info (ie: GMT-4). I'm also not sure if updating the dates via the app will work as I'm sending the date to the hub in the longer format.

Do you happen to know what caused the change? Is it just the fact that the daylight savings hit and the offset is no longer needed? I don't see it on my hub

Sorry for the delay - I think I'm looking for some specific HTML in any device attribute to allow a device to be changed to the 'HTML' device type. I know I'm looking for "<html", "<div", "<table" but I'm not looking for "<span" or "<iframe".. let me add support for these. I think once I do the devices here will auto change to HTML device types but if not you'd be able to change to them

just wanted to mention this support is in the latest version -- I know there's a lot of posts so I figured I'd call it out

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I was suggesting that, but now that you mention it, maybe it's really not that helpful. Afterall- I'm more interested in knowing when there's an update available rather than what version I'm currently on.

I also understand your viewpoint from using other dedicated drivers rather than writing and supporting your own. I am currently using Hub Information v2.6.5 (driver) located here: [RELEASE] Hub Information Driver to provide Hub info.

Hi Joe

Another job done, many thanks.

I have tested the latest version app (1.0.1259) and the time display is now correct and I can set a new time as required but the Hubitat format reverts to +000 format once edited in your app. All good.

Thanks once again

Very much appreciated, sir.

I may have read this incorrectly and I certainly didn't communicate the functionality I was hoping for, sorry about that. The button widget does now work. But as is, it kind of defeats the purpose. It now opens a button window instead of the dashboard, that button then has to be pressed. You then have to close that screen which brings you to the dashboard, which then has to be closed. My hope was to simply touch the widget button and have the button press carried out. Much like the switch widget mentioned. Although, I tested that as well and it also brings up another window to select on or off and then brings you to the dashboard, which then has to be closed. Thanks.

Have you tried to create a widget while turning off "Prompt to Toggle"? It seems like that would create the outcome that you're looking for.

I like the current implantation (I have the "Prompt to Toggle" switch on) because when I click on the widget/button it prompts me to turn the device on or off. After that action, it does not take me back to the dashboard like you have described. Something doesn't sound right.

Good catch and I have to stop posting from work or at least proof read. I start and stop posts, walk away, etc. Anyway, I had another paragraph about that, at some point. Unfortunately, it doesn't work with prompt switched off. Nothing happens. I just took another look and it appears I didn't wait long enough. It is throwing back an error. Command "push/1" failed.

Ok, I really need to focus better. I had re-installed the dashboard app and cloud wasn't working. I had it set to auto and it was in auto - local. I was probably connected to my VPN when I first started. Toggled it and cloud is back up and it working beautifully.

So, all is good, thanks for posting.

1 Like

Is there any chance of wrapping the text to a second line? So in this example, "Automation" would be wrapped the second line.

1 Like

A single button device works this way - click the widget and it'll do all of the work behind the scenes to send the button "push" to the hub. No UI at all.

In order for a multi-button device to work this way, I'd need to get which one of the buttons you want to send the "push" for. That seems like something I can add to the configuration screen. Just remember to disable the "Prompt" option so no UI will be displayed.

which brings you to the dashboard, which then has to be closed

For the prompt case - something must not be working right because the idea is to show a small popup dialog with the buttons on them.. but, closing this shouldn't show the app's main screen which you then have to also close. At least that's how it should work.

The other somewhat complicated thing about buttons are they have more than just a toggle action.. they support 'push', 'doubleTap' and 'hold' actions. So, unlike a switch where once you select 'ON' I can close the dialog -- I'm keeping the button dialog open to allow any of these commands.. I'm honestly not sure if that advanced functionality is even needed for most users though.. if a simple send 'push' command to button '2' is all that's really needed I could simplify things in the UI quite a bit

Good catch and I have to stop posting from work or at least proof read. I start and stop posts, walk away, etc.

EDIT: lol.. me too! I was trying to reply in order and hadn't yet seen your follow-up post. Anyway, I'll see if I can make button widgets a little more advanced

I should be able to wrap the text, yes. What I'm not sure about is how that'll look compared with a widget with a single line of text. I know I've read not to try and make widgets look like homescreen icons because each launcher app displays app icons differently -- and widgets don't really have any way to figure this out (that I'm aware of).

FWIW my launcher (LawnChair) just shows single lines for apps and will truncate them if too long.. of course they offer an option to show multiple lines too

Wow, thanks for that fantastic response but that was all me. I just wasn't paying close enough attention. Operator error all the way. As is, It's doing every thing I need. Any advancements are just gravy. Thanks again.

1 Like

Can you also check for "<br" and do the new line command? I have several in my Keen Vents Display device that work great on a dashboard tile but not good in the Android Dashboard App. Thanks if it is possible.

On exit using the X in the upper right corner of the HSM Widget takes you to a black screen and then if you hit < it opens the app.