[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Yeah, the Amazon Fire tablet specifically won't let an app turn off the screen fully and then back on again. It's because they don't let you remove the 'swipe' lock screen (which they use for ads). An app can turn the screen on but can't unlock it so it'll just go back to sleep after a short delay.

I have 2 rooted Fire tablets (10" and 7") which I replaced the FireOS with a more standard Android OS so I've never had a problem with the screen fully turning off at night and back on in the morning. But, that wasn't trivial to do so it'd be hard to recommend to others.

The next best option is to set a screensaver and the app will dim the screen as much as possible during 'off' hours and can turn it back on again when configured.

I also just implemented (and still testing on my Fire tablet) motion detection logic that will also wake the screen up. That can't be done if the screen is fully off and the device is asleep.

I'll try to update this support page more with that new option as well

Hi there @jpage4500 you asked about what I'm using the Fully Kiosk Browser app for. I recently bought a Pritom Tronpad L10 tablet to replace my old Samsung SM-T530NU that I was using with your Hubitat Dashboard app. The new tablet is currently sitting on a small shelf below where I plan to mount it to the wall at some point. To answer your question, I installed the Fully Kiosk app for two reasons:

1. I liked that the app was able to use the camera as a motion sensor to turn on the screen when you approach it and turn back off when no motion is detected.

2. I also liked the ability to use gif images as a slideshow screensaver when the screen turns off.

You mentioned you might be able to add the features I'm using natively to your app. These particular items would be great additions if you're able to include them. The only additional comment I'd add is it would be convenient to include a date and/or time on the screensaver.

1 Like

I tried this out and found that I have to be much closer to the camera than I'd like so I decided to go back to the time range I used before but it won't let me. I set the screensaver timeout to 0 like it says and selected the time range as shown on the right in your post but no matter what I do it reverts back to Screensaver.

Hey Joe is it possible to create a folder that displays a list of devices like the battery level one? Reason is I have a ton of lights and honestly the folder with them all is just an ugly mess. A simple list would look nice and clean I think. Maybe a simple door that changes color like icons do it something that denotes the status.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to choose in settings whether we'd like the tile caption to be taken from Name or Label by default. Obviously still overridable by editing the caption in your app. The reason I am asking is due to the way the hub UI displays and sorts the devices in the device list. I had been putting the long descriptive names in the Name field, leaving the Label field to have short nicknames suitable for displaying in dashboards. But I can't sort on Name field in the device list. So I was wondering whether to do it the other way around and put the long more formal names in the Label field, and the friendly shorter names in the Name field. I have been asking for a long time whether they can allow sorting on the Name field but it is beginning to look like it won't happen. Just an idea, not asking you to actually do it at this stage :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for that! I'm still fine tuning using the camera to turn the device on but that one's getting close.

It also makes sense to add support for a date/time on the screensaver (it'd be optional as I imagine many people just want the screen to be as dark as possible). The slideshow isn't a bad idea either.. I personally love this Hubitat Google Photo's driver and I could see using it as a source of images or maybe a folder on the device

That's fixed in the version I'm working on now.

I also found out this didn't work at all on my 10" Fire tablet which was the only device I was planning on using this feature.. I haven't figured out why yet - I know it has a front-facing camera so I'll have to get that figured out.

Also, there's a few parameters I can tweak for the motion sensitivity. I've stuck with the defaults but I can try to make them available in the UI as well.

1 Like

Hmm.. that's a good idea! I have 13 lights and I always use the 'group in folder' option after logging in to quickly create a folder with all of them so they don't clutter up the main dashboard. But, like you I don't really love trying to view a specific light in the folder either.

I'll add it to my TODO list

looking at the logic I'm using the first available value from:
custom label, label (hub), name (hub)

I know when originally implementing this I was wondering which field to use first.. it might be easy to switch up with a setting - let me look into it further

I will like the camera-activation if I can trigger it with an arm wave 15' away. :grin:

I have 3 fire HD10 (2019) and HATE the fire OS, BUT I am going to root them!
What OS did you use? Lineage?
I have Lineage on my Samsung 10" in the car and don't have any complaints, but wanted to ask you about the Fire's.

Just updated the app on one of my Fire tablets and the screensaver camera control seems to be working GREAT! although I can tell the backlight is not turning off, just displaying a black screen.
I know the Fire tablets with the fire OS is crap and is the problem, but I still plan on rooting them, THEN it should work fantastic!!!

This app is REALLY turning into something VERY helpful and useful, and a great addition to Hubitat!
And YOU are one of the few developers that is taking a very active and responsive attitude to your app!
Thank You!

1 Like

Beast mode on the camera wake/sleep. Can't seem to update the app right now for some reason but when I do I can't wait to try it.

You have a link for a donate? We're all reaping the benefits of your work.

2 Likes

It's at the very bottom of the first post in this topic.

2 Likes

Was going to say 'very top post, politely added at the bottom of that text'.

I feel I'm one of the biggest supporters of this tool. It's up there with 'Echo Speaks' in my book! It solves so many of the problems of HE dashboards. I try monthly to send something - the least I can do for such a hard working app!

3 Likes

Ha. I've never even seen the first post in this thread.

Some coffee funds sent. Thanks again for the app and especially how involved you are in making it better.

1 Like

I've got a fire 10 7th gen running 5.6.9 that I got off woot that I haven't connected to wifi yet. I'd like to have this dashboard in my bedroom and the screen needs to be actually off, so I'd like to root it, or if the fire toolbox is enough to actually turn the display off I'd do that. Did you root or fire toolbox? Also would all these problems with screen saver go away if we just paid the 20 bucks to disable Amazon ad screen?

I didn't know you could pay to disable the lockscreen actually. Basically, if you could remove it completely (not just ads but when you turn on the screen it goes right to the homescreen) then that would work.

I rooted and replaced the OS with Lineage.. I did it about a year ago though so things may have changed. But, this is the place I'd start with. It looks like your tablet has the codename "suez" so this is probably the page to look at.. it's not trivial by any means but I don't remember having any major issues (but I have rooted devices in the past too so it does get easier)

Loaded a Raspberry Pi 3+b with Lineage 17.1 and tried the app. Initially it loaded, but now it keeps crashing. Anyone else use a Pi?

EDIT : Flashed and Booted with Emteria and the app runs well. But the resolution is not correct as the icons are too big despite setting them to the smallest size. Monitor is set at 1920 x 1080

I see the crash report but not sure how it happened.. must be something different with Android on Pi hardware. I should be able to fix it though