[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

How are people getting nice radar and weather info into the Dashboard. I see some great examples from a review of this thread. Also, I am not looking to embed windy.com

Are you enrolled in the beta? Regardless it takes a few hours sometimes for the new version to show up in Google Play.

The in-app update check also doesn't work for me when using the Google Play version - I need to figure out why. The exact same apk installed directly works just fine..

Thanks very much.. This is very good! I'm not sure I'll be needing the original app much in the future.

The satellite/radar images are already in the app. Just add "Image/URL" tile and click on Example URLs. Choose your area and resize the tile to fit.

@jpage4500
Is the behavior shown the intended result for thermostats? In certain situations the thermostat tile will not display the current temperature. I can't figure out what the logic is.

No actual temp on either:

One shows actual temp, the other doesn't:

Both show actual temp (maybe because both are actively heating??):

I use this Hubitat weather driver which leads to a pretty nice looking weather tile (IMO). I tried to document how to set it up here. It results in a tile like this one:

I also use a radar image tile that updates every few minutes (the URL is in one of the built-in examples).

Another option is to search for a local TV station weather image that updates.. for example there's a 7-day forecast that I found for Charlotte here. They have several images at the bottom that keep updating so I'll add the URL in an image tile with some 5 or 15 minute refresh rate.

1 Like

I'll dig into the logic to find out exactly. Are the "68" and "51" in the first image what the thermostat is set to? (ie: setpoint)

I believe I'm showing the setpoint as the main text when the thermostat is on (in heat or cooling mode) and the current temperature when the thermostat is off.

Also, the general idea is that if the setpoint and current temp don't match, the current temp would be displayed in the status line (the smaller text).

That last image - the red "68" in heating mode looks right to me. The one to the right of it doesn't seem like it's actively heating so maybe the app is seeing some status that it doesn't understand.

I will say I almost never use the fan only or auto modes for my thermostats so both of these probably aren't as well tested. What would really help me is to see what the app 'sees' for these thermostats - esp when it's showing the first set of tiles. You could send a device log or if you want to send just the MakerAPI response for each device.. I've got a page showing how here.

thanks! FWIW while testing this just now I'm running into some image cropping issues.. by default the image should be cropped to fit the tile space. There's options to change how the image is cropped - for example if you're primarily interested in the top part of the NOAA image and don't want it cropped out. Anyway, it's not working great so I'll try to figure it out and get it fixed

1 Like

I'd love to but I don't think I have the time needed to make it as good as the Android version! My iOS skills are a little rusty too. Anyway my original goal with this app was for a wall mounted tablet and I didn't think I'd ever want to put an iPad on the wall when I can get a cheap Android tablet (specifically Amazon Fire tablets -- ie: $50 for a 10"; $25 for 7") that would work just as well.

yikes.. sounds like a crash. Did you ever get it working? I'm afraid if the crash happens on startup the best way to resolve is to do a 'clear data' but that'll reset everything. If you had the settings backed up somewhere outside of the app you could restore it. I'll look to see if I can find/reproduce the crash and if I can - I'll fix the app so it won't crash in the future.

@fshelton - I see a crash that's only affecting 1 user.. looks like it's happening on a Fire 8". Is that you? If so I wonder if RTSP video isn't supported on Fire OS.. I do have a couple of Fire tablets which I can try it out on too

Great app. Just recently moved over from smartthings. Very happy with the customisation.

Thank you @jpage4500 for all your hard work. Willing to help others if needed :slight_smile

2 Likes

Just stumbled across this app. Thanks to the dev for making it. Moved away from sharptools. Very happy about that. I hated the delay. I use a few 7 inch fire tablets around the house where the old alarm keypads used to be.
Sharing my layout.

3 Likes

Does this app work with Fully Kiosk?

Yes.

What is the URL? Never used Fully.

This app is awesome. Thanks for your hard work. I donated through Paypal. Thanks again.

1 Like

Just curious.. what do you use Fully Kiosk for? I haven't ever used it so I'm curious.. I remember it offers things like motion wakeup and keeping the screen on. The screen on part is covered by the app if you want it always ON during certain hours and off outside those hours. I know I have a TODO to research using the device camera to wake-up the screen but I also don't know how reliable that is. I also have a TODO to use another device like a motion sensor to wake up the screen.

1 Like

I wanted to use it for the wake with motion feature. Is there a way to change the certain hours the screen is on? I see the option for 8:00-10:00, but I am usually up at 4:30.

That's me....I am running a LineageOS on a rooted Fire.

Also, this can't be true since I can play the video without issue using an rstp feed in VLC