[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Forgot to mention, if you just want to hide the update tile you can do that too by hitting "Ignore this version".. this option should hide that version from showing up again and the next version will still show up

I mention that because the pattern recently seems to be lots of hub updates follow the initial update.. so while typically I try to keep my hub up-to-date; with this one I'm going to wait until the updates settle down before updating

1 Like

Yep, that sounds right. I'm not sure what else to do when clicking on that tile other than show it full-screen. I could display other details if there are any though - like what I'm doing with the GameTime tile - showing the schedule attribute full-screen

1 Like

I just got a chance to test this one out - you're right, there's no direct button support now. I'll add it in. Question - is this a 1-button device or multi-button device? By default, clicking on the widget will toggle the state.. ie: light -> on/off. But, with a button device I'll need to handle a few different cases - such as a single button or multiple buttons. I'm thinking that if it's a single button device I can call the "push/1" command. If there's multiple buttons I can show a dialog with all of the buttons displayed so one can be selected. Does that sound reasonable?

1 Like

... speaking of widgets, I'll see if I can add widget support for HSM (home security monitor) which seems like the kind of thing that could be useful to see and/or change from a phone's launcher.

Any other widget suggestions or ideas? Worst case I can add them to the TODO list

Can I get nest camera's or an ip cameras rtsp streams as tiles in the dash?

2 Likes

I didn't think it was possible to get an RTSP video stream from Nest cameras unless something changed recently.. though I did find this page which seems to suggest maybe it is.

I don't have a Nest camera - just some thermostats and this driver works for them.. I'd imagine if video streaming is supported, it'd have to start there first (and if it is already let me know as I haven't followed this thread latest)

Apologies if it's posted here somewhere. I just got an interesting device that let's me turn my head unit in my car into an android tablet via the wired carplay connection. Pretty damn slick. Thinking about putting this app on there.

So the question. Does the android app work in android 9?

Yes. I have an Android 9 head unit and the Dashboard app works fine. The widgets have some issues on mine but your mileage may vary.

1 Like

It doesn't necessarily have to be an rtsp stream from a Nest camera. I have some nest cams and an standalone NVR that allows rtsp streams. A stream from either one would be great. I can already get the stream from the ip camera using vlc. Just wondered of I could get it in the dash

1 Like

Yes, single button. I was trying to setup a virtual button and some samsung buttons. Anything you do sounds reasonable to me. Thanks again.

1 Like

Sounds interesting. Do you mind sharing more details about the head unit and device?

Nothing too fancy it is the stock head unit in my 2019 camry. The key is they need to have wired carplay support.

Here is the device I purchased.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09G9KPXHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a video of a similar device in action on pretty much identical head unit in my car. (there seems to be several clones of the product. I wish I had researched and gotten the applepie mini). A few quirks to be sure but you gain so much. It is really impressive.

1 Like

morning - I recently began building a new hub dash-android - I'm getting no option to change Tile type to HTML on these:

I went back and compared them to the functional dashboard - and see they are 'web tiles' - I don't remember doing it but I must have added them by hand. Also my OpenWeatherMap doesn't offer 'Weather' as a tile Device Type any longer... Should I clear everything and start again or is this worth checking into?

Caught another item that might need attention - Recall the other day I had Hub Update tile on screen. I moved it and dropped it up top of my tiles.
Then it disappeared and all my tiles moved around. It may be best to have a placeholder tile for dynamic tiles such as this to maintain layout integrity.

Hi @jshimota / @jpage4500 - this is very cool, how do I set this up? I can't seem to find this tile anywhere. I've tried to copy the hub information driver tile, but it's not the same. Thanks!

Hi

I am very p;eased to see the progress you are making with the app.

Daylight saving is upon us in the UK and it brings with it an issue reflected in the app.

I have some hub variables that are set to Sunrise, Sunset and Sunset+Offset. They have been showing up in the app correctly until today when the format in Hubitat has changed, dropping the +/- hours notation for Z. Not sure if this is a Hubitat issue or one for the app, please can you advise.

Attached screen shots show the problem but happy to extract any other details to assist.

Many thanks for your good work.

Chris

Screenshot 2021-10-31 07.16.13

@jpage4500 I was curious. Would it be possible to implement a cloud server for instant updates when away from home network? I realize it would not be for everybody, but google offers free tiers where you can get a very basic linux machine running in the cloud for free. I for one would be willing to set one up for pushing status update vs polling. I know it is likely much more complicated than what I think.

Just thinking out loud. Great app. You really seem to know your stuff when it comes to android. I have not seen many devs on any of the forums working to integrate that system.

Are you talking about the Hub Update tile? The app checks every few hours for a hub update and will show that tile automatically if an update is found. There's a setting (more settings -> check for hub updates) that controls it - it defaults to on though.

It only works if you've had the app running for long enough though - like for always on wall mounted tablets. I don't believe there's a way to check for updates on demand but no reason I can't do that.

1 Like

Yes- that's exactly what I'm talking about. I do have it turned on in settings, but I've never seen it displayed before. Wouldn't you need the tile to be added somewhere ahead of time? Otherwise, where does the tile show up? Just at some random spot?

I've tried to think about how this could be done too.. I even started a thread here with some thoughts. we wouldn't even need a separate cloud server as hubitat apps running on your local hub are already reachable from the cloud. The hub app could try to replicate the hub's /eventstream endpoint -- basically a websocket which the hub could 'push' device updates to any listening clients (such as this app). But, honestly it'd be even easier if we could just access the existing /eventstream endpoint from the cloud - maybe part of the MakerAPI and re-use the existing cloud tokens/access.. I did even hear back briefly from @gopher.ny about something that might be in the works (nothing specific) but that was back in July..

I'd still really love to figure something out for better cloud support (not polling) but I'd need help since I've got no hubitat app development experience

1 Like