[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

I would add one more feature to the date/time tile: Allow an optional link to a website making the tile active that when pressed, the website opens up full screen (for example weather). This would economize/eliminate the need for an extra weather tile.

1 Like

+1 on this request. I could also use the exact same thing.

• Are you talking about the status text at the bottom-right of the tile? or the main text? The main text can be set to any format you want (search for SimpleDateFormat for examples)
  • The status text is so small I'm not sure how useful it is - but I am thinking about changing it to display the month name - ie: "Mon, Feb 22". Also, if you use a wide date tile and have the month and/or day already in the main text I can just hide the status text.

Remove Empty tiles from number of tiles in folder

• I'll fix that

Allow option to have different "Display Options" for each folder

• this one could get complex.. are you looking for larger tiles in a folder? Do you have any ideas/examples of how the folder contents could be displayed? I've been thinking of some different options for folders - primarily for folders with just a few devices in them

Allow image tile, when opened, to zoom in and out and/or move image from side to side or top to bottom. Could also be good to allow one to add several images and swipe between them.

• interesting ideas! I'll add to the TODO list and try to think of how that could be done

For image tile, crop options only show in the preview (image tile icon). The window always shows the same crop, despite what is chosen

• Yeah, full screen images don't follow the selected crop options. The full screen image display will follow the same dimensions as the device screen - unlike the square device tiles. So, I almost think the full screen view needs a different crop type option..

Unable to add divider to main page since change to not allow divider to be dropped on folder.
When adding an image tile to a folder, it is also added to another folder

• ahh.. yeah that's a bug. I was going to say it worked for me but once you view a folder and then back out - adding the section and/or image gets added to the folder you were last in.

When adding an icon for a webpage, it will show up briefly, but then be replaced by the page preview. When opening the page, the icon will also show, but only briefly

• hmm.. I don't see this one; is there a URL you're using to show this? You're using the Web URL tile right and not the App/URL tile? The former is a mini browser and the latter just opens up the application or URL outside of this app.
  • Are you talking about the status text at the bottom-right of the tile? or the main text? The main text can be set to any format you want (search for SimpleDateFormat for examples)
  • The status text is so small I'm not sure how useful it is - but I am thinking about changing it to display the month name - ie: "Mon, Feb 22". Also, if you use a wide date tile and have the month and/or day already in the main text I can just hide the status text.

Yes, talking about the small text, and I really like it, rathern than having the bigger text. Mon, Feb 22 could also work, although in Europe it would be Mon, 22 Feb, but it is better than the numerical. I would encourage to leave the tile as is with the small text (my opinion).

• this one could get complex.. are you looking for larger tiles in a folder? Do you have any ideas/examples of how the folder contents could be displayed? I've been thinking of some different options for folders - primarily for folders with just a few devices in them

I think what I am thinking here is a way to have for example 6 wide dashboards, which could then be filled with 3 x wide and tall tiles. At least that would work on my device. However, i would not specifically like to have this on all the folders. My use case would be a folder that contains web URLs and Webcams.

Similar to this

• Yeah, full screen images don't follow the selected crop options. The full screen image display will follow the same dimensions as the device screen - unlike the square device tiles. So, I almost think the full screen view needs a different crop type option..

Would be great if one could crop the full screen image with the same or similar method as the preview.

• hmm.. I don't see this one; is there a URL you're using to show this? You're using the Web URL tile right and not the App/URL tile? The former is a mini browser and the latter just opens up the application or URL outside of this app.

Yes, using the Web URL. It seems to be for any web URL. I created a video that shows how it is on my mobile.

Also note, when going in and choosing the Icon, you can do this for just this tile, or all "Image tiles" but I am using a web tile, so the text is wrong I think.

This is my car dashboard (it runs Android 9). The new garage door widget works great! That round area is multipurpose, normally it shows a speedo, clock, map directions, or album art; just swipe up to change. Now it also has the garage door widget!

5 Likes

I think I figured out how to get a specific date format which will change based on locale.. I didn't know about this method before so I'll try it out and update.. that way I can keep the MM/dd format (or dd/MM format) depending on where your device is

I think what I am thinking here is a way to have for example 6 wide dashboards, which could then be filled with 3 x wide and tall tiles. At least that would work on my device. However, i would not specifically like to have this on all the folders. My use case would be a folder that contains web URLs and Webcams

There might be another way to do this -- I am planning on allowing some tiles to be even bigger than 2x2. Primarily images/web/video tiles would really benefit from the extra size IMO

Would be great if one could crop the full screen image with the same or similar method as the preview

I think that would work for devices in landscape mode. It might not work in portrait but I'll do some testing and see if there's a better way

Also note, when going in and choosing the Icon, you can do this for just this tile, or all "Image tiles" but I am using a web tile, so the text is wrong I think

Actually, the bug here is allowing a custom icon to be set for image/video/web tiles since these tiles are meant to be edge-to-edge content (image/video/web page). Are you trying to just show a fixed icon for the main tile and then show the content only when displayed in a large popup?

UPDATE: 2/24 -- not sure what happened with this reply.. I didn't even realize it was my reply until just now...

Exactly this :slight_smile:

Running in to issues with the Widget refreshing. In short, it doesn't refresh on its own if the device state was changed else where. I've set the refresh rate to 10 minutes, but it didn't refresh; perhaps because I was in an app and not on the home screen (it was not sleeping)?

What about a long press to refresh the widget (or all Hubitat Dashboard widgets at once)? This shouldn't trigger a state change. This way I'll always be able to verify the device status.

Thanks!

My Hub IP address got changed and the app stopped working. I changed the address back and all is fine, but how would I change the address in the app in the future? I was thinking of logging out and back in, but it said my buttons would be erased.

@mebejedi The latest update to HE firmware allows you to set a static IP. :wink:

But it's still better to set a reserved IP address at the router if you can.

1 Like

Is there no way to change the IP in the app?

In which app? It's in settings of your hub.

But better to set a fixed IP at your router if possible because then there is no chance of a conflict.

sorry for the delayed reply.. you can logout and back in again but just export your settings first and you should be able to restore everything like it is today.

FWIW - I also have my Hub's IP fixed on my router like some others have mentioned

not today.. that's on the TODO list (or if not I'll add it).. although I'm also thinking of having some kind of automatic backup and restore option on logout/login which would make that a better option

The long press won't work since Android only lets you handle clicks on an app widget.

The app should set an alarm for 10 minutes and when that fires it'll try to refresh the state of the device and update the widget. I'm not sure what happens when another app is running - I would think the alarm would still run but it could be delayed I suppose until the home screen is displayed. I'll look into that. What OS are you running on? I know later versions have more logic to delay running alarms. Anyway, I'll see if I can reproduce this and then grab the logs if I can

I created several widgets with a 10 min refresh rate and just kept an eye on them without opening the app to see if the states were generally in sync. It seemed like it was while I was away last night but this morning I did notice one of the widgets was out of sync. Looking at the logs, I see the API call to get the device state failed.

I'm not 100% sure yet but it appears as if the refresh is happening before the device is connected/online. I'll look into if this is happening and if so I'll see if there's a way to delay the refresh until the device is actually online

1 Like

Might this be a victim of Android saving power by turning off Wi-Fi when the screen is off?

It looks like the app itself needs to be running for the widget to refresh. Once I started it, the widget would refresh.

Because I primarily use the widget feature in my car, I've set the widgets to refresh every 2 minutes. Other than data usage do you see any draw backs to refreshing this often?

Also, Not a big deal, but when I manage the widgets in the HD app I see listings for widgets I've removed from the OS desktop. Anyway to only show active widgets? Also, how can I remove widgets in the "Configure Widget" list?

@jpage4500 Actually, I am still having widget refresh problems, on my my car unit and my Samsung S10+. I think it is probably just the garage door widget. We had this issue when you first added the garage door tile and I think you had to add some special timing. You were just going ahead and changing the tile status upon click, and then verifying it after 10-15 seconds. I think this is what the widget needs.