[Release] HubDuino v1.1.9 - Hubitat to Arduino / ESP8266 / ESP32 / ThingShield Integration (ST_Anything)

I looked at the code...and its pretty small....im sure due to great programming...but its unclear to me what to do....is there any examples out there ?
Also, the water meter had a mechanical display that shows cubic ft of water used....I'd like to be able to enter that in and then update that as water is used...so I could look after some time and see if I'm accurate... would i create a preference and then I could enter what its at?

Thanks Dan, I bet that would mess things up. I watched the serial optput and got a timeout error. I bet that was it. I just didn't know where or what to change

1 Like

Take a look at some of the Community Energy Meter Drivers and/or SmartThings DTHs for examples of how users have kept track of Energy usage and cost over time.

For example, take a look at the following energy meter DTH which keeps track of statistics.

With SmartThings, the child devices appeared under Devices along with the parent device.
On the Hubitat portal, the child devices are only visible if you open the parent device.

Is there some way to get the child devices to show up under Devices alongside the parent device?

I’m not sure what you mean? The HubDuino child devices are all easily visible within the Hubitat UI’s Devices page.

The timing change did not resolve the issue. Will check cabling next after watching the serial monitor to see if all of them are reporting

Wow, my Devices page looks nothing like your page.

This is all I see on my Devices page:

If I click on HPE I see the child devices under Device Details:

Any idea what I did wrong?

Did you modify any of my HubDuino Parent Driver code? Specifically the parameters of the addChild function?

I can’t think of anything else that would cause the behavior you’re seeing. I have always seen all of the devices displayed correctly.

Things to try...

1. Make sure you’re using Chrome as your browser and see if that helps. Maybe disable any extensions on your browser that could be conflicting?
  2. Take a manual backup of your hub and store on your computer
  3. Reboot your hub via the settings menu
  4. If still not working, perform a Soft Reset by following the detailed steps listed in https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitat_Diagnostic_Tool#Soft_Reset

No, I did not modify any of your HubDuino Parent Driver code. I'm using Chrome browser.
I updated Hubitat code when I installed it last week. Rebooting Hubitat had no effect.

Except for installing some of the built-in Hubitat apps, HubDuino is the first thing I've tried to install on my new Hubitat. I deleted the Lifecycle device, then I deleted my HubDuino parent device so I have no devices.

This time, when I recreated the HubDuino parent, it worked as expected and now my child devices are listed under the HubDuino parent!

I'm glad HubDuino is working now, but I wish I knew what caused this strange behavior.

1 Like

Dan,
How are you?? I'm switching from smartthings to Hubitat. I can't get my ThingShield to be discovered. Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

What Zigbee channel is your Hubitat hub using? What Zigbee channel is your ST hub using? Make sure they are no conflicting.

When I first moved over to Hubitat I did have an issue pairing old SmartThings early generation Zigbee devices until I changed my Hubitat hub's Zigbee channel to 20. Higher channel numbers caused issues.

Zigbee channels 15, 20, and 25 are considered the best choices to avoid 2.4Ghz WiFi intereference. However, due to the issue with old ST Zigbee devices, I tend to recommend users to try to use 20 and 15.

From the ST ThingShield Docs, make sure you follow the instructions below to unpair the ThingShield.

Pairing the shield

To join the shield to your SmartThings Hub, go to “Add SmartThings” mode in the SmartThings app by hitting the “+” icon in the desired location, and then press the Switch button on the shield. You should see the shield appear in the app.

To unpair the shield, press and hold the Switch button for 6 seconds and release. The shield will now be unpaired from your SmartThings Hub. Make sure to delete from your account if you plan to re-pair it!

1 Like

hey @ogiewon, quick question which i'll probably test later and there's a ton of messages in the thread, so figured i'd ask it here:

can i connect to HE and run a webserver to both do the same thing if i wanted? e.g. if i wanted to enable a digital output i could do so through HE or by connecting directly to the arduino device and using a html page to do so

just wanted to make sure there's no conflict if i decide to do this

HubDuino (ST_Anything) running on the Arduino compatible microcontroller, does NOT implement a web server. It uses a custom communications API that I came up with years ago.

I hope this answers your question.

Not quite. I know it doesn't start a web server, but if I add the code for a web server along with st_anything, will there be any conflicts or can both run together?

Ahhh, now I understand. Well, I am not sure if it is possible to run multiple “servers” on the same device. I do know that ST_Anything listens on port 8090 by default, so at least you wouldn’t be fighting over port 80.

looks like it is :slight_smile:

EDIT: just tested and it works...now i need to find some way for ST_Anything to sync the status as it doesn't seem to relay it over...onto more testing!

A What if question or two. Is it possible within the sketch to take device status (probably a temp device DS1820) do some math with it and take the result and send it to the Hubitat? Also, can the hubitat send a setting to the arduino for the math equation ?

It depends on exactly what you're trying to accomplish. Please provide specific details.

In general, it is usually simpler to modify the value in the Groovy Driver code before creating the event to update the attribute.

I will have several temp sensors. one for outside temperature, one for inside temp and one for a target temperature. There needs to be a temperature set point that will shut down the whole operation. there will be another set point that will limit the temperature for the target temperature. There will be a equation that determines the target temperature from the desired temperature and the outside temperature. I have to dust off some OLD math skills to get the equation as all I have for it is a graph of how it works. I will need to operate a couple of relays to fire things up and also to operate a mixing valve. There will be a need for a maximum temperature that when exceeded it will shut down. I threw this together off the top of my head, I should put together a better more precise description. How difficult so far?

couldn't you do that math in hubitat? get the raw readings from the arduino then adjust the values in a rule