[Release] HubDuino v1.1.9 - Hubitat to Arduino / ESP8266 / ESP32 / ThingShield Integration (ST_Anything)

I am also running Windows 11. I just checked my list of installed software and I do see the following...

Not 100% that this would fix it for you, but it may be worth a try. :wink:

1 Like

Just installed the same version of Python and it didn’t resolve the issue. But all good. I appreciate the suggestion.

1 Like

I'm working on an ESP32 based Hubduino sketchwhich will use both BT and Wifi (BT Tile Presence).
It compiles fine but when it runs, I get this:
11:00:05.802 -> ESP32 station start
11:00:05.802 -> E (3785) wifi:Error! Should enable WiFi modem sleep when both WiFi and Bluetooth are enabled!!!!!!
11:00:05.802 ->
11:00:05.802 ->
11:00:05.802 -> abort() was called at PC 0x401c0ceb on core 0

... then it continually reboots with that message.

I know that there are native ESP32 ways of sleeping and waking WiFi but since WiFi seems to be managed by SmartThings, I don't think that it will work.

• Is there a way that this can be accomplished?

BTW: Boards I've tried are ESP32-WROOM-DA and Lolin D32 .

I've seen that problem when I played with BT and Wifi with a ESP32. I believe that you have to manage the two radios so they do not attempt to transmit at the same time. One radio sleeps while the other can use the transmittter/antenna then do that to the other radio. That would have been a very complicated and/or compromised application for me so I stopped digging into it.

I have never tried using Bluetooth and WiFi on an ESP32 at the same time with HubDuino.

It looks like someone has done it, based upon this thread: Tile Trackers - #12 by scottmil
I didn't see anything there about turning radios/modems on or off.
He used a Adafruit Huzzah32, which I don't have. Perhaps there is something magical in that ESP32 implementation, so I will order one and see if I have any luck.

If that's not successful, I can go with the approach of using an external BT/BLE module. However, I like the self contained approach - especially where I will need 3 of these things around the house.

1 Like

I can confirm that the Adafruit Huzzah32 has the same restriction as any of the other ESP32 boards. I've been in contact with the author of the Tile Trackers project mentioned above (scottmil) and he used a 2 board approach - one for BLE and the other for HubDuino.
Meanwhile, I'm going to go the route of using the Hubitat Maker API to keep it all to one board but may try the 2 board approach at some point.

I wish HE could have the ESPHome Bluetooth Proxy capability that home assistant has.
I just set up BLE trackers as car presence sensors, bringing them into HE with HADB. It is very slick to turn an ESP32 into a remote Bluetooth hub. I don’t even use the BT in the raspberry pi I am running Home Assistant on.

Starting with the ‘ST_Anything_Multiples_EthernetW5x00_MEGA’ sketch and only using the PS_DS18B20_Temperature and EX_Switch capabilities with an Arduino Mega2560 and W5500 ethernet shield, I’ve tried, without success, a couple of different methods to use the temperature data locally.

I’ve tried to leverage the existing code but it seems to need more to work locally and I have been reluctant to experiment much and risk breaking your work.

I’ve also tried to merge this sketch with another I created to read the sensors and then send the data to a Nextion display. That just seems to break both sketches.

My goal is to have HubDuino functionality and also a local Nextion display where at least the temperatures can be read.

If this is even possible, do any of you have a suggestion that I could try?

@ogiewon, Will your integration work with this hardware?

It should work with the ESP32 and the main breakout board. The Motor Shield... you'll probably have some work to do.

What are your project requirements? Is motor control essential to achieve your goals?

I need the ability to move a stepper to specified positions based on HE commands or RM

That would require you to design, develop, and debug stepper motor support for Hubduino. I am personally not interested in attempting to add this myself. It has been asked for multiple times over the past 10 years, and no one has ever been successful and submitted a pull request.:wink:

Servo motors are supported.

Do you any plan to add OTA for ESP-32?

I haven't really thought about it. Do you have a guide on how to add OTA updates to the ESP32 platform? If it is relatively simple, I would consider adding it.

Dan, thanks for replying. I am not expert on coding but found some information through internet search as example, Over The Air Updates (OTA) - ESP32 - — ESP-IDF Programming Guide v5.2.1 documentation
OTA in ESP-32 would be a big help. Thank you

Unfortunately, those instructions are not all that helpful, as they assume the use of the Espressif IDE, not the Arduino IDE. If you find an easy, simple way to add ESP32 OTA Updates via the Arduino IDE, let me know. I am taking a look as well to see if I can find anything.

I am going to see if I find anything as per your suggestion.

As you know, there are some example sketches in Arduino IDE for ESP-32 OTA.

So, I spent some time on this tonight. I was able to use the exact same code from the ESP8266 on the ESP32 code within ST_Anything. I have uploaded the two changed files to my GitHub repo.

The two files you'll need to update are:

• SmartThingsESP32WiFi.h
  • SmartThingsESP32WiFi.cpp

Please let me know if it works for you. Enjoy!

Thanks Dan. Our Hubitat Community will be benefited with your help. I will work as suggested by you in few days and update you. Thank you again

1 Like