[Release] HubDuino v1.1.9 - Hubitat to Arduino / ESP8266 / ESP32 / ThingShield Integration (ST_Anything)

Ok, so you should be able to modify the Python script to make an additional http call to the Maker API to update a virtual humidity sensor. I’m not a Python programmer, so you’ll have to look elsewhere for information on how to do those changes.

Thank you, Dan. Sent pm. I feel sorry for asking about RPi in the Arduino thread.

1 Like

Greetings to you Dan.

I have received my HE and migrated all of my devices from ST successfully with no or little issue. Thanks for your help, suggestions, guidance and support.

Hope, I will get your guidance in future also.

With regards,?Tito

1 Like

Welcome to Hubitat! I think you'll enjoy the benefits of local processing, and being part of a thriving community of talented, dedicated enthusiasts.

I am glad to hear you were able to get everything moved over quickly.

@ogiewon I've been thinking about converting one of the fobs I never use for my iSmartAlarm, so that it's always powered and controlled by momentary relays. The fob has four buttons, arm-away, arm-home, panic and disarm.

Unfortuantley iSmart Alarm has just really lagged over the years in development. They have IFTTT and an Alexa Skill. No Google Assistant. They don't look long for this world, so I'm trying to be very budget minded.

What's the base cost, and is it a steep learning curve for getting something like that going in HubDuino? Another thought is just four Trådfri outlets, four DC power bricks and four DC relays. Pulse them via HE.

What do you think? I'm so on the fence about putting anything into that system. I may just stick with the IFTTT integration until they die, but wanted to explore the cost of local control, even though that system is 100% cloud dependent to configure anything.

Sorry if I've asked you this already. Was looking for an old post to make sure I hadn't, but couldn't find one.

You should be able to get an ESP8266 based solution up and running for less than $25.

Maybe you could even use one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/LinkNode-R4-controller-4-Channel-Module/dp/B01FUC9U58/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=Linksprite&qid=1553380837&s=electronics&sr=1-2

I haven't tried one myself, but I bet I could get it working. You'd just need a 5VDC power supply to go with it.

Like this one, maybe?

https://www.amazon.com/iMBAPrice-Adapter-Listed-Supply-5-Feet/dp/B00GUO5WUI/ref=pd_bxgy_107_2/141-4003295-7743256?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GUO5WUI&pd_rd_r=b5198625-4dbc-11e9-91ef-65785d430aa8&pd_rd_w=fQouf&pd_rd_wg=BSC9g&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=A67YKNV05818FTQX51MY&psc=1&refRID=A67YKNV05818FTQX51MY

UPDATE: However, that board would require a FTDI programmer board as well. Not the simplest solution for a rookie.

You could also just grab a NodeMCU ESP8266 board and a 4-channel relay board as follows. The NodeMCU board has a USB programmer circuit already onboard.

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Internet-Development-Wireless-Micropython/dp/B010N1SPRK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=NodeMCU+ESP8266&qid=1553381198&s=electronics&sr=1-3

and

https://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Channel-Module-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/B00KTEN3TM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3EO7M59O2RTYV&keywords=4+channel+relay+module&qid=1553381232&s=electronics&sprefix=4+channel+relay%2Celectronics%2C158&sr=1-3

2 Likes

That's really low. OK, I'll dig into the thread. Thanks

That's cheap for the board. I've got lots of 5v supplies already. :+1:

See my updates above... sorry for typing while thinking aloud...

The second pair (NodeMCU + 4 CHannel relay module) may be the quicker route to success, but not as a nice of a package. Should be much easier to program, though.

1 Like

I've looked at several of the ESP-Relay devices and none of them expose the UART pins for programming so this one is kind of unique. In fact most of them specifically say you can't flash your own firmware. So, this is a great find Dan. It seems that all you would need is a USB/UART adapter to program just like you would an ESP01 module.

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-CP2102-Converter-Adapter-Downloader/dp/B00LODGRV8/

The datasheet is here:
http://linksprite.com/wiki/index.php5?title=LinkNode_R4:_Arduino-compatible_WiFi_relay_controller

If all you're doing is 4 relays for a board, this is the perfect package. Board and relays for under $12. That's SUPER cheap.

1 Like

Yep! I may order one just to play around with it and see if I can get HubDuino running on it without too much trouble.

1 Like

TX. RX and ground are exposed right at the top and there's a jumper for flash or program boot. Actually, it's EASIER to program than an ESP-01. LOL It even has indicator LEDs! I don't need a 4 relay board at the moment either but for <$12 you almost HAVE to buy it, just in case. :wink:

1 Like

LOL. Well maybe I'll just let the two experienced guys try it first. I'm not able to get some of this stuff off Amazon here, but I'm on my way to Oregon next month, so I can ship stuff to my parents house. Just have to keep the amount I carry home to a minimum. :grinning: Already have a Google Home Hub, the free GH Mini I got from Spotify (Thanks again @ogiewon for that one), and a Caséta fan controller to bring back.

:rofl: They want $37.60 CAD for that adapter on Amazon.ca
Sometimes the Canadian pricing is just stupid.

Okay, here's one for $6.99 CA. Was probably related to the seller of that other one.

1 Like

Cool. So when I'm done using that to program, I can use it to power the fob with the 3.3v output on it.

Thanks. I'll dig into the thread tonight and see if I can wrap my head around it.

I just ordered the Linknode R4 relay all in one module. I’ll see what it takes to get HubDuino running on it. This would also make a nice sprinkler controller.

3 Likes

I did something VERY similar to what you're doing with an RF fan remote before the Hampton zigbee unit came out. Worked very well, expect when it got out of sync with ST. Should be a LOT more effective off something that isn't changed as frequently and has more limited options. Are you planning on wiring across the buttons to the relays?

I would be careful about sacraficing your programmer though. You never know when you might need to reprogram the board because of some change to something. There are much cheaper options if you're looking to get 3.3v. I use one of these to power my ST Arrival sensor off a 5v usb outlet.

1 Like

@Ryan780 @SmartHomePrimer

I was able to load a sketch on to the LinkSprite LinkNode R4 board tonight. It was pretty simple after all... Here is the new example sketch for this particular board. The hardest part is getting the USB to Serial adapter wired up and then manually configuring the Arduino IDE to program the board. Within the sketch I included the LinkSprite URL with the Arduino IDE programming instructions. I used Arduino IDE 1.8.8 with ESP8266 v2.4.2. Have fun!

UPDATE: There was one gotcha! The MAC Address reported in the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor window is not correct for some unknown reason. I used the Hubitat Live Logs to determine the MAC address that this board was actually using. You could also check your router's DHCP leases to figure it out.

4 Likes

That's great news. Thanks Dan!