[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

You can turn on / off the cameras via the Alexa integration. I have a routine that will turn off the inside cameras when my Apple iPhones (via the homekit integration) reports presence for any of the household members.

SmartThings Got's to go!!!! I'm 99% there. I just use it for the Samsung TV integration and even that's not via the bridge.

I switched to this a while back. Being able to turn off individual cameras is the one feature I wanted to keep in HE.

It has been working well.

1 Like

Noticed tonight for the 1st time, my ST hub is no longer connecting via HubConnect.

Anyone else notice this?

Yep, me too. The old girl has given up the ghost.. She’s finally gone to the smart home in the sky.

1 Like

Mine is still working normally as I write this. I have a 'shoulder tapping' automation that executes every 5 minutes via HubConnect that lets me know if my ST and HE hubs can't interact with each other, and it hasn't skipped a beat. Maybe they're shutting things down on a shard by shard basis.

2 Likes

Me too.... byebye

Did anyone else check if their devices are still working today? Mine are still working.

Edit: Looks like they moved the transition date to October 15

Yes, still working for me. Only 5 more devices left to migrate... That link seems to imply that Groovy integrations won't die until Dec. 31st 2022.

3 Likes

Like others, my Hub Connect stopped working about 9 days ago. It forced me to finally move the last of my devices. Everything is done, and now there's an empty hole where ST once stood.

10 Likes

Mine is still working fine

Some reading this TOPIC have concluded that HubConnect is "discontinued" but that's wrong. HubConnect works as well today as it ever has between Hubitat Hubs and (via dan.t ) Homebridge.

Recent messages in this topic on SmartThings and Samsung's destruction of Groovy apps and drivers closes that one use. Hubitat to Hubitat on disparate networks is the niche left to HubConnect, and it's great at that, as always.

8 Likes

Thank you @csteele! Agreed!

I got a weird one. I'm using HubConnect for its remaining (and awesome) use-case--Hubitat to Hubitat on disparate networks. Honestly it's been so rock solid I haven't touched in a year or two. I actually have two child HubConnects from my one server hub in one location connected to each of two remote hubs in another location. It's been working perfectly for awhile.

Today however I noticed (via the Device Watchdog app) that the remote hub device hadn't been updated in a few days. When I looked, sure enough the remote hub showed "Error: Instance in use by another hub". I read the conversation above in this thread where @srwhite suggested deleting the remote hub device and then Done'ing out of the server instance app. When I tried that, the remote hub device didn't recreate and the "Offline" tag on the app persists. There are no errors or warnings in the logs.

Any ideas?

it's been almost that long since I've done it and there's only a dim and fuzzy image remaining in my brain. My 4 production hubs are all still working and I've had no need to touch the "interconnect" side of things in a very long time. The advice above is certainly the best "memory" and I'd defer to it if I get this wrong...

On the Server hub, for the remote, there's this button:

Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 10.08.53 AM

The traffic traverses Hubitat's cloud in this disparate network scenario. Not being able to converse would have me looking at the hub to cloud path, I think... both ends.

Hmm, you know what's even weirder? Even though both server and client show "offline", along with aforementioned error message, everything is working as expected functionally. Any event on one side is instantly reflected on the other. Weird.

1 Like

After the new year anything hubconnect was doing with SmartThings will be dead?

I know there was some talk of October but everything has been working on my end.

Thx

The ability to add new "legacy" Groovy-based integrations with SmartThings was disabled in October. Existing setups would still continue to work. At the end of this year, those will stop working as the entire "legacy" Groovy backend for SmartThings is shut down. That will affect HubConnect if you had it installed and working before October. There's a whole list of the timeline for that over at the SmartThings Community.

To be on the safe side I would check Replica out before the 31st of December to keep everything in sync..

Is everyones Hubconnect still working? Mine is

2 Likes

Groovy has been given a extension with a unspecified deadline of early 2023

https://community.smartthings.com/t/update-to-smartthings-groovy-transition/254856

1 Like