[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

Thank you I will give this a try and report back.

Just had to to go through getting my Arlo cameras re-connected this weekend. Everything still showed connected and Hubconnect said it was online but there seemed to be no communication. I just went through the apps on the HE and ST side clicking through to done and it seemed to take care of it.

So hopefully you can do the same.

1 Like

doing that seems to have worked! Thank you for the suggestions @terminal3 and @csteele

1 Like

This is a mighty long thread, that Im trying to parse. Im trying to figure out if I can have devices that are in registered in my samsung graph be replicated into Hubitat. The ST hub that these devices belong to are not on the same network. So its almost 'hubless' to that extent.

Thanks

Is HubConnect V2 still available for installation? I don't get the point on how to start the best.

Any help is very appreciated. I think HubConnect could be one of the best ways to start migrating devices from ST to HE and still remain some devices like Arlo Cams on ST hub.

Have ond ST hub and one HE hub and would like to connect.

What's the best starting point?
How to install the necessary apps and drivers
Do I need the server on the Raspi? What is this good for?
Better solution than Hub Connect? Read something about new new ST api, but not sure if I can install all the stuff on my existing RPI, which I use for Sonos httm api and WebCORE

Thanks for any ideas and input

Yes, HubConnect is still available. The question is: Is ST still able to add it?

The very high level recipe for HubConnect is to install HubConnect v2.0 Bundles from HubConnect.TO

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.34.37 AM

Download and install these two Bundles:

That gets the Code onto your Hubitat Hub and the next step is to use the Apps menu to add it.

In SmartThing's IDE, you add one smart app and one DTH from this code:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.38.27 AM

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.38.36 AM

Then, on your SmartThings App, add HubConnect as an App.

Now it's time to configure both hubs.

Full instructions can be found as:

But the new Hubitat feature of Bundles has not yet been applied to those instructions. Bundles simplifies the installation of code on Hubitat and therefore you can skim past those steps in the Installation Instructions.

No, you don't need it for SmartThings.

No, but that's a biased answer :slight_smile:

People are using SmartThings to Node-Red and Node-Red to Hubitat to accomplish a similar goal. I have not tried it. Node-Red would run on an external, always-on computer. A RaspberryPi is often the starting point for Node-Red.

1 Like

Speaking of the Arlo cams that is the only thing I still have on Hubconnect. It was working great until a couple weeks ago. It's weird as I can still enable and disable cameras through Hubconnect, so the connection is still there, but motion won't pass through anymore. Luckily the Alexa integration is working pretty well. So I can use that to pass motion to HE. If I could figure out a way to turn off cameras outside of Hubconnect I wouldn't need it anymore.

The reason you would want to use Node Red with Samsung automation studio is to prevent a issue with the devices when Samsung turns off the Groove IDE. When they do that Hubconnect integration will stop working. The problem is no one knows when this will really happen, just that Samsung has said that it was coming.

You can use Node-Red with Samsung Automation Studio pallet to send on/off controls to Smartthings and turn the cameras on/off.

Actually the thing I want to quit using is ST, but if that part of Hubconnect stops working then I will look into it.

@csteele: thanks for the fast response. I was able to install the HubConnect Server on my HE. I had to import by using the URL. The strange thing is, I'm not able to download anything from hubconnect.to. Where do I get the smart app and DTH for Smartthing?
If I click on the links on hubconnect.to nothing happens. Never had that before.
Where did you get the screenshots from? Looks different than hubconnect.to.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

@mavrrick58: I think I saw a post from you in another thread. I'm interested in setting this up but it looked a bit complicated to me. Just not the expert in Raspi. Just happy getting WebCoRE local to work on my Raspi without crashing my Sonos http api server.
I have to look into this deeper but in the first place I would like to transition all my devices from ST to HE. My opinion was HubConnect could be easier to realize in a first step.

When I first switched from ST to HE this was a good transition tool. I slowly moved devices over. I ran a half ST half HE home for several months until I got my second HE hub and then brought everything over to HE.

1 Like

With as much I have been working with the Node-Red Samsung Autiomation studio stuff i would totally agree with @terminal3. If this is purely for migration I would use hubconnect if it is viable still. Not that setting up this Node-Red option is hard, but Hubconnect should be easier.

If you decide to try to work on the Node-Red option I will certainly help where I can. I wrote up kind of a step by step. It is a bit wordy and i suspect makes it look harder then it really should be. It isn't hard at all, but time consuming. Most of it is running commands and waiting for the pi to complete the needed installs. Node-Red may take a little bit of getting use to though. It did for me.

I just logged into HubConnect.to as a user and these are the screenshots:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 11.35.09 AM

The SmartThings code is in the "RC2" folder

May I ask why you need to HE? Just wondering if I also need a second hub. With Smartthings there was never the need. The mesh is stable and very reliable in a three story house.

Sorry for my curiosity.

Perhaps no one NEEDS two :smiley: but a lot of us LIKE multiple hubs. I have 4, as an example. There are quite a few reasons, but often it starts with noticing how reliant you become on the hub and then fear of it being out for 2 days shipping time creeps in. A backup hub is ordered and after collecting dust, one has the thought "It could be a backup just as easily with power applied" and then it's all downhill from there :smiley:

1 Like

Lots of threads on this one! I have three...

(1) Prod
(2) Acceptance - used for stuff I'm still messing with or things that are excessively chatty
(3) Nonprod / DR

When we first moved to the house we are in now I had everything running on one ST hub. I have no central location that I can put a hub, it is either on one end of the house or the other. I originally was going to move everything to HE on one hub, but my Schlage Z-wave locks that were on the opposite end of the house from the Hub would not stay connected. The ST hub had no issue with them but HE hub did.

At first I put the ST hub on the end of the house that had the locks and left it that way for awhile. I really wanted to get rid of ST and when HUB mesh became available I decide to replace the ST Hub with a C7 hub and hope with a hub closer to the locks things would be better and it was. So I basically split my devices down the middle and and have half on one and half on the other. YMMV.

I should add I actually have 4, One is sitting on a shelf as I picked it up at the last sell as a spare. I also have one in my shop that is 200' behind my house. So it had to have it's own since it's too far for Z-wave or ZIgbee.

Was able to download it now, but in a bit of a weird way. Anyway, I think I can install them on ST hub now. Will see

Thanks for your help guys, I got it to work now.
Will play around a bit and will figure out how HubConnect can help me in transition all my stuff from ST to HE.

@mavrrick58: I'm sure it will not take long for me to start working on the Node-Red Samsung Automation studio stuff. Would be great if you could share your step by step guide and maybe could help a little bit. Thanks in advance!