[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

T H I S !! Thanks @Tony! I didn't understand this until I read your note.

And it totally explains what I was seeing. I'm getting event-spammed by a device (a few?) that's not changing its state. Since I had logging turned off, I've been relying on the device history page. Which, if I'm understanding you correctly, won't show events that don't change state of the device, even though those events definitely "go against" the event queue limits imposed by Hubitat.

Thanks for turning on my "light".....

1 Like

Yes, Hubitat automatically 'de-duplicates' events going into the DB. It's one major difference between MakerAPI's 'stream" and EventSocket's 'stream'. Devices have the option to override and 'force' the platform to put everything into the DB.

The instructions from @Edge comment # 3259 fixed my issues. The official instructions for Smartthings implementation need to be updated. It only specifies to enable OAUTH on ONE of the apps on the Hubitat side and not on BOTH of them. It also doesn’t state to enable OAUTH AND hit Publish on the SmartThings smartapp side. As soon as I enabled OAUTH on the 2nd Hubitat smartapp, my devices from Hubitat—>Smartthings finally appeared. The SmartThings —> Hubitat device sharing was already working fine with only ONE of the smartapps OAUTH enabled so it was giving me fits. Thank you for the great software. Just wanted to post this in case it could help someone else.

Updated

I have a C7 in House 1, a SmartThing hub in House 1 and a C7 in House 2.

With the goal to be able to 1) control everything via Alexa (which does not support multiplehubs) and 2) see in the C7/House 1 hub devices from the Smartthings hub in House 1, I am looking to use HubConnect.

Am I right in thinking that C7/House 1 will be the "server" and the ST & C7/House 2 will both be remote? In this case, am I right to think that the device drives will be installed in C7/House 1? And that the drivers are installed through HPM but the remote & server apps are installed via their downloads on Downloads - HubConnect Apps ?

https://hubconnect.hubitatcommunity.com/HubConnect%20V2%20Installation%20Instructions.pdf refers to a Coordinator, am I to assume that Server = Coordinator?

Probably. It does for me. HubConnect also has a NodeJS proxy Server, so "coordinator" is a nickname for the Hubitat Hub running the Server and Server Instance App. Most of the time, "server" is clear from context, sometimes not, so a nickname can potentially make it clearer.

As to the HubConnect Drivers.. they go on the "opposite hub" from the real, actual devices. So.. if your ST hub has real devices with ST DTH, then the Coordinator needs to have a matching HubConnect Universal Driver to work.

When that ST device is 'mirrored' to your Coordinator, it can then distribute or 'mirror' that to your other connected hubs.. again, the connected hub needs the same Universal driver to function.

So you confirm that the server/coordinator will have the virtual devices and the clients have the physical devices, right, @csteele

That's initially true, yes... BUT....

Imagine you have a Cool Gizmo on ST and are using the correct DTH... you know it's good because you can do all the right things via the ST Mobile App.

Now HubConnect is added and ST is assigned the Remote role. You select Cool Gizmo in the Remote Client and it will tell you what HubConnect Universal driver needs to be added to the connected hub, which is server/coordinator. OK? So you select devices on Hub X and mirror them on Hub Y and the Universal driver always goes on Hub Y, NEVER on Hub X. ( To drive home the point, Hub X always has a working device driver at the moment you attempt to mirror the device. )

Now you decide that you need to mirror Cool Gizmo to the 3rd hub... You open the Server Instance for the 3rd hub and select Cool Gizmo. The App will again tell you which Universal Driver needs to be on the connected hub (3rd hub) BEFORE you click all the way out.

Rinse, repeat.

Not sure if this is the proper place to ask, given there's already 3700+ messages in this thread...

The smart app on ST is telling me I need to install the HubConnect Motion Switch driver on HE. I don't see any such driver in HubConnect/UniversalDrivers at master · HubitatCommunity/HubConnect · GitHub

Looks like the device on ST that didn't create a corresponding virtual device on HE is a Ring Floodlight Cam.

That one?

I guess. Sorry, I wasn't aware there was a separate repo for v2 drivers.

I've been installing the v1.x drivers from HubConnect/UniversalDrivers at master · HubitatCommunity/HubConnect · GitHub. Guess I need to update those too?

Thanks for the quick response.

Looks like the v2 drivers have an uninstalled() method that the 1.x don't.

BTW, the importUrl param in the definition metadata has the url of the 1.x drivers.

That's because the v1.6.4 is the Released version. v2.0 is a Beta Release Candidate still...

Just curious. I’ve been using V2.0 RC1 and then RC2 for maybe 4-5 months. How long do you typically beta something before releasing?

Because the Hubconnect developer goes on super-long camping trips, I'm guessing it's in beta until he comes back from camping.

1 Like

Thought he was back when RC2 came out. Lol. My mistake.

Right. I just assumed (incorrectly, obviously) that v2 stuff would be in a different branch in the same repo, not in a completely different repo.

1 Like

The device drivers are all available on the HubConnect.to site with the app. @csteele was kind enough to add all of those drivers to a separate repo that can be downloaded all at once by using Hubitat Package Manager, but @srwhite is the author of the code.

1 Like

HubConnect is released under two independent Licenses.

The Universal Drivers & SmartThings Device Types are all under the Apache License, Version 2.0.

The App is released under the HubConnect license agreement.

Making an effort to protect the License is the reason behind having an independent repo. Github has a reputation that everything is Open Source, no one reads/respects the Licenses found there, in other words.

3 Likes

I have a Samsung TV connected in the new SmartThings app. I have added the TV to HubConnect as an AVR and it works fine. However, I don't see the source listed even though in the ST app, I can see the source and also, use it for automations. Please anyone know if there is a source in the AVR driver or how else I can get the source of the TV?

@yototogblo There is a local Samsung tv driver for he now via ip.

2 Likes