[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

Just checked and Hubconnect is working in the new ST app for me.

The Classic ST App will still function as it has until October 14-17 (ST transition doc here) and afterward the new SmartThings app will be the single mobile app. The new ST App falls way short of the functionally of the legacy ST app, and ST Community users have been very vocal about the limitations, missing devices, WebCore interface, etc.

Native ST apps developed using groovy will still function after that October cutoff date and can be added/edited in the ST IDE. The ST cloud will still be accessible via http API as before. The current Cloud-based system for monitoring Hub-connected devices will be replaced with a new service that runs locally on SmartThings hubs. ST Hubs with older firmware (pre-0.32.x) will begin using hub connectivity status to determine online/offline status for hub-connected devices (e.g., Zigbee devices, Z-Wave devices and locally executing LAN devices).

I verified that the latest release of hubconnect App is working in the new ST app, But each day, I have to repair some issue as I have one foot in both ST and Hubitat, and starting to lean toward 99% hubitat with my 130+ devices..

Here is a scrrenshot of hubconnnect ST app on iOS

I am so looking forward to brining over my 'Ambient Weather Station, BitBar App, Orbit Bhyve, etc custom apps from ST to Hubitat. I have already added some of my App's version 1.x initial conversion via Package Manager. I will dedicate the rest of the Covid-19 year to making these home automation applications and others fully hubitat compliant and optimize performance..

3 Likes

I have just set up to C7 hubs and installed Hubconnect. I installed several community drivers, Lifx, Lennox Thermostat and Haiku fan. It appears the two hubs are communicating and I installed the drivers that were mentioned. I went in and checked off all of these devices to mirror, but they don't show up.

Where should I go to troubleshoot this?

I have a C7 hub and SmartThings (new app) and I'm trying to get a SmartThings device into Hubiat.
I've installed the HubConnect 2.0.
SmartThings is showing "Online" in the Hubitat Apps Section.
Hubitat Hub is showing [Online] in the new SmartThings SmartApps Section.

I go into "Select devices to synchronize to Sever hub..." in SmartThings and select a SmartThings device but it doesn't show up in my Hubitat devices.
If I go into the SmartThings IDE and look at the device it shows Hubitat Hub in the "In Use By" section.

I can't figure out what the next step is to get it to show up in Hubitat.
Is it supposed to show up automatically? Or do I need to import it?
Is there instructions somewhere I can follow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

How about this Video?

1 Like

I found that video when I was searching for an answer but that’s putting a device from the “server” (Hubitat) onto the “remote” (SmartThings).
I need to go the other way. I need to put a “remote” (SmartThings) device onto the “server” (Hubitat).

It says I have 1 connected device but it’s not showing up in Hubitat (the server)

Well thats not true, tony was forced to kill echo speaks due to the load it causes on ST cloud servers it's been responsible for downtime of ST servers, he's making a lite version that will just do the speaking part nothing else and working on a new API version that would have to be hosted locally

I hope HubConnect can be converted to the new API if it's quicker than the current version I would be very happy

Ran into a snag this morning after a power blip turned on my HE's Zigbee bulbs but didn't affect my ST and HE hubs (on UPS's). I have an automation that detects this and sets the bulbs to a state appropriate to the time of day and HE now reflects the proper on/off state, but their HubConnect instance on ST still shows them 'on'. With the old ST app, I'd choose 'Sync' on each bulb and that would fix them up. However the new app shows no such option for the mirrored devices.

Is there an different way to manually re-sync ST devices now with the new app? I already tried the resync function using the HE HubConnect SmartThings client app; it says it completed successfully on 16 devices though have over a hundred shadowed on ST; it had no effect on the state shown by ST for the bulbs (I'm not really sure what this function is supposed to do).

New ST App... no help from me I'm afraid. :frowning:

I've never used it... seems like I might have to... but since I don't actually USE SmartThings anymore, I only keep the ST hub powered for HubConnect, I'm not the guy to answer New App questions.

1 Like

No problem; I still have the classic app installed and can get by with that for a few more weeks.

1 Like

I am no expert but when I used hubconnect, I found that version 1.6 did not work with the new ST app but version 2.0RC did.

Actually I do have 2.0RC installed; no issues really except the lack of a 'Sync' button on devices using the new app which the Classic app used to (and still does) feature.

New App is ignoring a command and Standard Tile??

standardTile("sync", "sync", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat", width: 3, height: 2)
		{
			state "default", label: 'Sync', action: "sync", icon: "st.Bath.bath19"
		}

That's in every one of the ST instances of converted code.

I didn't know that, well the first part I did but the notice I got on my new ST app said that echo speaks was going to be removed on Sept 8th and no other info was given about a new version. ST said to use a different app.

It appears that way; unless it's hidden somewhere I haven't discovered. This is what the device looks like in the two apps:

The 'hamburger' in the new app just shows Edit and Information options; neither shows 'Sync'.

Also I don't understand why the 'HC' in the device name (I use that to distinguish my mirrored ST devices) got dropped when it transitioned to the new app.

1 Like

Can't think of anything good to say.... :frowning:

2 Likes

I was a hubconnect user when I first got my HE around Dec 2018. Then I stuck with ST since a knew it best, Lately with the hurricanes getting worse the internet is not a sure thing and I started to give HT and hubconnect another try mostly for local control and performance. This time I have had more experience and it's been easier to set things up. I have hubconnect version 2 rc installed and so far the ac/thermostats and lights are working right. I have a problem with the ceiling fans. they use GE/Honeywell controllers and the ones on the HE side show up in ST as fans but with the wrong icon but they can't be controlled and only produce server errors in the ST app, and the ST ones only show up as dimmers and can be controlled in he by the slider in 0/33/66/99 or so positioning which in not convenient. I this normal, or do I have something wrong?

I know this is probably a dumb question as I'm new here, but I have an ST hub connected to my HE through HubConnect, and I can see all the ST devices in HE perfectly, but not the HE devices in ST?

I've got all the apps installed and think I have correctly selected the devices that I what to share to ST, but there's nothing there. Clearly doing something stupid, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

Sounds like the underlying install wasnt completed correctly. Take a look at the videos on https://hubconnect.hubitatcommunity.com/ and see if you missed something.

I've often tried to use a metaphor for installing/configuring HubConnect. That one first has to build a highway before trying to get the cars and trucks to use it.

It sounds like you only have the 'left half' of the highway built. :slight_smile:

'Building the highway' involves copy/pasting two Apps Code and one Driver on the Hubitat Hub you've chosen to be "Server".

It involves copy/pasting One App and One Driver on the Remote Hub.

Then you "Add User App" on the Hubitat Hub(s) to make it available to begin configuration. SmartThings is the same, but the terminology is all different... MarketPlace, Add My SmartApp. Then Automation and configuring is available.

1 Like