[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

True, you've been running v2 for a while, but I added that functionality in 1.6 to help prevent the orphaned hub devices that seemed to happen too frequently.

Just noticed that i'm not on the latest version, if all is working well, shall I just stay on the current build?

If it works why “fix” it.

There’s a 2.0 release that will be coming soon. V2 is going through a closed beta right now. There’s a lot of new features and some performance enhancements so you might want to consider upgrading once it’s released.

I think the answer is true for all of Hubitat. If there's no new feature (including performance) what is gained by upgrading? If you read the change list and there's nothing on there you need, let others validate its usefulness. If there is a feature you need, grab it and validate its usefulness to others. :smiley:

1 Like

Of course, there's the "just because" reason that I typically use. :slight_smile:

I do feel it necessary to put out the disclaimer that the only officially supported version at this point is the 1.6 release.

Well that's an excellent point isn't it?? LOL.

The 'arc' would be... a) If it ain't broke, don't fix it. b) if it is broke, be on the latest supported version. c) if the latest has features you want, upgrade. ?? :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey folks, I've been banging my head on the wall all evening trying to get this to work, but I'm just starting out with Hubitat. Maybe someone else has had the same problem as me but I've sifted through the 2500+ posts here and I don't see anything similar.

I've added the two apps with Oauth and the driver code in hubitat, started the server, built the smartapp in my existing smartthings hub account with Oauth, installed the smartapp on my phone, started the server in hubitat, connected successfully (both the smartthings classic app and the HubConnect Server say I'm online). I've then added the devices to control in the smartthings app... but then they aren't available in hubitat. when I click on the remote hub and then "connect local devices to Remote Hub" every option says "0 devices"

I figured maybe it was an Oauth problem so I went and deleted all the apps and drivers on both the server and the smartthings hub and started again but no dice.

Any leads would be appreciated.

The 2530 posts are excellent, especially if you're into the history. :smiley:

In many of the posts I suggested using the guides found at:

http://hubconnect.hubitatcommunity.com/

There's videos that show the complete install on Hubitat. SmartThings is 'ignored' only because it's a subset of the Hubitat Remote Client install. (SmartThings doesn't support Event Socket so there's no need or functionality in installing the virtual hub driver.)

There's also the Import List that, if nothing else, identifies exactly what goes on each specific hub.

It sounds like you got a lot of the elements right, but nothing in your description highlights an obvious miss.

HubConnect has a "Client/Server" relationship BUT the devices that get reflected/mirrored from hub to hub don't.

Said another way, HubConnect builds a 'highway' between two hubs. One must be running the Server set of Apps and Drivers, while the other hub runs the Client App (and driver.) BUT the highway itself is bidirectional. The highway doesn't care where the "real Devices" are located.

The hub that has your Real Devices will use real drivers and function the same with or without HubConnect. The 'other hub' (the connected hub) MUST use HubConnect drivers. Universal drivers are just that.. universal. They work for Hubitat or SmartThings. However, they do not have Tiles that SmartThings exposes to your finger in their app. If all you need is to expose a device to an App on SmartThings, you don't need the enhanced HubConnect SmartThings drivers.

Let me be clearer... For any specific device, there's ONE real driver. All other connected hubs use a HubConnect driver, which must be installed prior to attempting to use them.

Let's try an example. You have a Motion sensor on SmartThings that you want to appear on your Hubitat Hub. The motion sensor is a real physical thing and therefore needs a real driver installed on SmartThings, just like normal. You open the HubConnect Remote Client in the classic SmartThings App found under Automation. There you will dive into the selection menu and find your Motion sensor's device name. "Kitchen Motion 2" for example.

As you save your way out of the menu system, you will get a list of Required Drivers. (It's located at the very bottom of the Selection menu.) STOP. Before you click Done the final times, be certain you've installed those HubConnect Drivers on your Hubitat Server Hub. (Just import them to Driver Code.)

Then back on the ST App, click Done and Save.

The list of selected devices is sent across the 'highway' and the Server hub builds the mirrored devices, IF it can find the required driver(s). No driver, no mirrored device.

That's it. As the list of devices and their attributes grows, the size of the selection menu grows.

My suggestion.. watch the videos and use the Import page to reduce the number of clicks.. and errors.

oAuth is used during the 'build a highway' phase and will have nothing to do with selecting devices.

1 Like

I received another hub yesterday and have it set up as the HubConnect server with my original hub set up as the HubConnect Client. I have all of my Zigbee and Z-Wave devices pushed to the Server hub. When turning switches on or off or locking deadbolts from the server hub, the device states do not update unless I press the sync button. What have I done wrong here?

I currently have LightwaveRF (Gen2) light switches which HE does not support, SmartThings does support them. If I buy a SmartThings hub and set it up with my switches would I then be able to use them in HE with HubConnect?

Theoretically sure. The entire function of a device driver (DTH in SmartThings language) is to convert the specific codes a device needs into higher level Commands.. like ON or OFF or DIM to 50%. HubConnect mirrors those.

Therefore, your answer falls more into how well the 'real driver' injects Events into ST. If it's a good driver, and why wouldn't it be, then it will mirror properly.

1 Like

That's indicative that the exchange of the connection settings didn't go well. What I would do is disconnect both hubs (using the disconnect option in the connection page) and walk back through the connection process.

If that doesn't solve it, generate a Tech Support Report and open a ticket with it. That'll give some more insight into what is going on.

I will try that but I reached out to @Vettester who is on the Beta and he is seeing the same thing. I was in the process of submitting a ticket while you were posting this so it has been submitted.

He’s running the 2.0 beta, and that was affecting only SmartThings. And if he’s on the latest a Beta 2 code the SmartThings connectivity issue has been confirmed to be fixed.

After disconnecting on both sides and reconnecting the devices are not working at all. What do you think about putting the sever side on the hub with the devices on it and making the new hub the client?

I'm running the latest Beta code (2.0.9200). I'll try disconnecting my hubs from my nodejs server and reconnect them. Like Otto mentioned using the sync function is the only way I can get it to update the device status.

I’ve had no reports of any issues with one way communication on beta 2. In fact almost everyone has confirmed they’re up and running. The one way issue only affected the SmartThings platform as it was reported.

But yes please go back through the connect process to make sure the handshake process completes.

For beta issues to avoid any confusion please file support tickets so we can keep the discussion on this thread to the 1.6 branch on github.

1 Like

Hmmm, I was under the impression that I was on the 1.6 branch. I used the download links provided on the install page. Looking at the app code, I am not seeing an app version? Could I have ended up downloading the beta? Both of the hubs that I am currently dealing with are Hubitat. I have started the integration with ST's yet.

If your Links are "github" then you're using v1.6.4

at the bottom of all HubConnect apps is words similar to:

56%20AM

Server above.. server Instance below:

17%20AM

I found it. Looks like I downloaded Server Container v1.6.3