[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

I have 3 hubitat hubs. the hubconnect connections seem to be working fine - at least no errors in the logs and everything around the house seems to be working.

I have 3 hubconnect homebridge instances connected and they are all throwing these errors.

I sent all three of you my technical report.

thanks for looking at this

EDIT: Forget that... it will still cause it...

Ok, try the following:

On your HE coordinator, go into Devices and look for the HubConnect Remote Hub devices (easiest is to search for remote). It should show you one device for each of your hubconnect instances. Delete the once for homebridge. All of them, after that, go into each of the HubConnect App instances and click done. That will cleanly recreate these devices and the error messages in the logs should be gone

Hi all,

I just messaged @dan.t with some thoughts on how this can be fixed.. The issue is unique to HomeBridge and I do believe is the cause of the upgrades failing to take and the http errors.

Stay tuned.

Changed it and testing as I am writing this.....

1 Like

Is anybody using the Tradfri Outlet?
If so, what device handler are you using?
I cannot get this to update between hubs using the stock HE Tradfri driver.
Thanks.

EDIT: Updated my hub to the latest hotfix released today and thought I would revisit this issue.
Would you believe it................. issue gone and things are updating OK between the hubs.
Hey ho............life, women and home automation still remain a mystery to me.
:thinking:

All,

I have just release a new version 0.3.8 of the homebridge-hubitat-hubconnect plugin. This version is important for people that are on HubConnect version 1.6.0 or intend to upgrade to HubConnect version 1.6.0

you can install this new plugin version with the command:

npm install -g homebridge-hubitat-hubconnect

and restart homebridge after the upgrade has finished

For people that are not on HubConnect 1.6.0 yet, you are done and can ignore the rest.

For people that have already upgraded to HubConnect 1.6.0, you need to delete the "HubConnect Remote Hub" device from the Hubitat device page. Once deleted, go back into the HubConnect App for your homebridge connection and press done.

3 Likes

Thanks Dan.. I followed your Recipe and it worked immediately. :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you! It’s working again.

2 Likes

Thanks for doing all of this. 2000+ posts is a bit difficult to read through, so I’m just going to ask/comment:

1. What the main purpose for connecting additional hubs? Repeating signals? Accessing previously unavailable third party hubs and devices?

2. Btw, the original pdf instructions on your first post is pulling up a 404 on Github.

3. What does your Arlo integration do? I have an Arlo Pro system, Arlo Q, and Arlo Base. It would be great to directly interface, use its motion detection, possibly record, and if possible view video feeds via HE.

All great questions.. I hope I can provide some great answers...

The answer is all of the above... If you have a larger home, or perhaps a detached garage or bard, rather than try to extend the lower-powered Zigbee & ZWave signals you can install a second hub. It's also useful if you've reached the point where you've got 150+ devices and want to split them up for resiliency.

Another use case for multiple Hubitat hubs is if you have a summer home, rental property, or even, in my case, and RV and want to separate smart home technologies but wish to have some (or all) of those devices shared to a central place.

The last and probably most common use case is to integrate with SmartThings to have the benefits of Hubitat local execution strategy while still maintaining the benefits of some of the unique SmartThings integrations (i.e. Arlo & Ring).

I will check, thanks!
EDIT: Appears the forum is mangling the link. I changed it so it wouldn't use the fancy github rendering and it's working now.

The Arlo integration requires a connection to SmartThings. Arlo doesn't integrate with too many third parties, basically HomeKit, Google, Amazon, and SmartThings. You can add your Arlo cameras to SmartThings then have all of those motion and sound events pushed to your Hubitat system in real time, with the cameras appearing as motion sensors.

Hubitat does not support video, so you'll still need the Arlo app for that. The same applies to Ring as well.

What are you looking to do? There's a lot of smart people here who would love to provide their own perspectives on why they chose their own strategies.

There's a great way to manage Homebridge running on a Raspberry Pi. For those that don't know, you can install a web based interface called Homebridge Config UI X. Once installed it can be used to manage your config file, search for and install plugins, view plugins that need updates, reboot your server and more.

Info at link below:

I run mine on port 8080, but you can use any available port. Also, SSL is not needed but can be used if you have a certificate.

1 Like

I'm trying to change IP addresses due to a 3rd Hub, and I'm having a little trouble.
I've been playing for a bit, so I likely need to restore from a backup and start again. But I was wondering if there was a certain order to do things.

Server Hub: Previously 192.168.1.120 is now 192.168.1.121
Client Hub: Previously 192.168.1.121 is now 192.168.1.123
(the new hub is on the network connected at 122 but doesn't have HubConnect yet)

The hubs are all reporting the correct IP addresses, but I think I did things out of order - or maybe changing both IPs at once is an issue and/or changing one to the IP the other had.

The server hub can see the client and reports it as online, but the client says

I likely should go back to a backup, as I tried deleting both of their connection devices. For some reason the Server had 2 (one's client ID started with "hub" the other didn't) - it recreated 1 as I had hoped, the one saying "hub". The client had only 1 connection device, I deleted it, and it won't return (maybe it doesn't recreate until a connection is made? )

It does sound like things were done in the wrong order but you should be able to recover without having to restore a backup.

On the Hubitat and ST remotes on the connect page you can set the connection key. I suggest that you do that then click done until you exit the app. Then go back though the key exchange.

The error occurs when a remote hub reports an IP address that is different from what has been configured on the server instance.

Erase the keys, then make sure that no other server instance is set up to connect to the same IP. Double check the IP is correct then go back through the key exchange. That should fix things up.

If I understood correctly, go into the client device (it's a HE), clear out the key, hit done all the way out. Go back in, repaste the key from the server's connection screen? Not sure if that's what I was supposed to do, but if so, it comes back to the same in use warning.

I also checked the IP's the HE's were reporting and made sure that each device was pointing to the correct other device's IP.

I did create a backup right before doing this, so it would be easy enough. If that is the best option, could you provide the best order? And does it matter that I've changed both hubs IPs, and the server now has the client's IP.

I use that as well. It works great on windows 10 btw.

@AndyM

I think if you look in your Devices page, do you see a lot of DNI with the 'wrong' IP for the way you have things Addressed now?

01%20PM

Yes, on the client hub, they all show the previous IP address of the server.
I was hoping after getting it reconnected, the fix ip switch would correct them all.

The devices on the server hub have correctly readdressed themselves to the new client IP. (the server accepts the new client's ip, the client wont accept the new server ip).

Clearing the key on a remote client isn't sufficient.. You need to use the Disconnect Server Hub toggle found in the connect page on the remote client.

That clears everything out. Then generate and paste in the new connection key.

Once the key has taken and the hubs complete their handshake in the background you'll see a toggle for updating the IP addresses in the device DNI's. Flip that to on and click Done to exit and apply the change.

I don't appear to have that option anymore...

Putting in a connection key (that doesn't work obviously) doesn't bring up the option either.

Send you a PM with code that'll make the toggle appear.