[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

Note: I have not selected any devices to connect yet.

1 Like

It's telling you you have not installed the Remote Hub driver in your Server's Driver Code Area.

Item #3

It's Install of two Apps (Parent, child) code

and an install of at LEAST one driver.. On The Hub you designated as "Server"

For all the rest of your Hubs, including SmartThings, you install the one App.

2 Likes

YEP!!!! That's it and that's what I get for skipping through the instructions.. sigh. Apologies on taking up your time.

Sad Note: I actually installed the remote APP not the driver..

1 Like

It's great, it's perfect...

Now anyone reading this far will know too. :smiley:

Once you have the collection of Hubs showing Connected... you can pick devices on your Remote Hubs to send to the Server Hub....

At the bottom of the Remote's HubConnect, you'll see it evaluates your selection and offers a list of MORE drivers to install.

00%20AM

You will need each of those, if you skip, that specific TYPE of device won't work and logs will show the same 'missing driver' message.

You observer that list ON The Remote, but you install the drivers On The Server. :smiley:

And vise versa... should you select Server devices to send to the remote, it will show the list of required drivers and you will install that set on the Remote Hub. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Although I am still not seeing "connect local devices to client" selector.. I may just remove everything and start over.

1 Like

Interconnecting the Hubs is
1- "add (install) code"
2- configure IP's within each Hub of the OTHER hub.
3- copy the key;
--- Server key goes into each remote;

1 Like

--- Remote's key goes into the corresponding child app on the Server.

So where do I get the Remotes key? I have the server key and pasted that into the client connection..

On the server it says online but still cannot select local devices. I'm pretty sure I did everything else. No errors in the logs..

OMGosh, you're right, That got revamped a week ago and I completely forgot...

Now they exchange simply via the single key

My mistake. Sorry. :frowning:

1 Like

No worries! So this is my "Connect a hub" connection screen now.. looks kinda the same, not like yours though.

But the other stuff IS showing up (I've only connected one hub so far):

Note: I have not added any devices yet..

Hang on a sec... forgot to press "DONE" on the server side and so the app disappeared after setup... gahhhhhhh.

1 Like

I did that once.......... once :joy:

1 Like

Okay things are set up as expected except I am still not getting local device selection on the server.. picture is the same as I posted - Different than @csteele's.. missing header and local devices selector.

Okay I think I got it..

Unable to create the Hub monitoring device: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: A device with the same device network ID exists, Please use a different DNI. Support Data: [id: "hub-xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx", name: "HubConnect Hub", label: "Downstairs Hub"]

Going to remove everything again, including any hubconnect created devices and try again!

So after clearing everything out, rebooting my downstairs hub, STILL not seeing local device selection on the Server... picture is the same..

Check your devices, you may find a hub there already, delete it and then add again.
I found that there when mine first failed. Like this.

Yeah good catch - that was from the log I posted about conflicting device DNI's.. removed it and the apps and started over. Still not seeing the local devices and no errors in the logs.

I am positive it is something I am or am not doing correctly.. but the instructions are really straightforward.

And sadly, I didn't run into any errors when I set mine up originally (when it was harder and there were two keys :frowning: sorry again ) So that means I haven't seen the pitfalls... and offer easy guidance out of them.

1 Like

I think I am going to try the nuclear option - remove all HC apps/devices/app&driver code on server and remote hubs and reboot both and try again!

:grin:

Do I need to enable OAuth on the Server-Instance and the Remote-Client apps? I did that originally but that was kinda not following instructions.

Yes, on one of my remote client hubs, I show:

17%20AM

On the Server Hub I show:
10%20AM

OAuth is the column where 'enabled' shows.

1 Like

:smiley:

Link to Hub and HubLink are pretty easy to setup, and it's almost word for word the same to do...

Add the App and Driver code is extra, yep. :smiley: But enabling OAuth is the same, entering IPs of the "other" hub is the same, the Key part is extra, yep :smiley: But picking the devices after it's all going is the same, with the bonus of additional attributes for 'free' :smiley:

Where HubConnect gets simpler is where you do not have to install Link to Hub and HubLink again in the opposite direction. It's built in. The parent/child component of HubConnect is where it really shines because Link to Hub/Hub Link can only be added once (each) per Hub, you can't build connectivity across all the hubs. HubConnect can, it's built in.

Greater benefit is found with the extensiblity of HubConnect. The stub drivers are very simple to create and then adding the attributes via Custom means we're not waiting on the next platform release to get a new attribute or device. :slight_smile:

3 Likes