[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

one step I missed more than once is the --unsafe-perm option.

sudo npm install -g --unsafe-perm homebridge

that was the cause of many hours and a slap to the forehead after finding it, again. :smiley:

If the directions are listed out so I can copy and paste, then I can do it. I wish I knew more about it, but not looking like it will ever be in my future - there just aren't enough hours in a day to learn enough, fast enough!

is Node.JS v12 ok to use?

I have it running on v12. There was one use that reported problems with v12 but I was not able to reproduce them.

I just upgraded to Nodejs 12.1, and it’s working fine

I can get homebridge running, but when I add the config.json example on your github, it is throwing errors.

[5/6/2019, 3:16:42 PM] There was a problem reading your config.json file.
[5/6/2019, 3:16:42 PM] Please try pasting your config.json file here to validate it: http://jsonlint.com
[5/6/2019, 3:16:42 PM]
/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:218
throw err;
^

SyntaxError: Unexpected token { in JSON at position 5
at JSON.parse ()
at Server._loadConfig (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:212:19)
at new Server (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/server.js:56:38)
at module.exports (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/lib/cli.js:32:16)
at Object. (/usr/lib/node_modules/homebridge/bin/homebridge:17:22)
at Module._compile (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:759:30)
at Object.Module._extensions..js (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:770:10)
at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:628:32)
at Function.Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:555:12)
at Function.Module.runMain (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:824:10)

Not be be annoying, but it would be helpful to those of us only interested in the hubconnect part if all of the homebridge discussion was in another thread...

True, AND there is a MakerAPI thread too, but none of us responding can move the pieces. :frowning: So answering here AND asking staff to move portions of the thread is about the only way I know to proceed.

HubConnect does connect to homebridge as a server.... Do we need another thread for this part of HubConnect?

Just my opinion - I'm not the author or OP...

I would say no you don't need another thread, as long as the post pertains to the actual homebridge to hubconnect connection.

If it pertains to getting the homebridge solution or node.js server setup, I would say yes you do.

Again, I'm not God, this is just my opinion.

Either way works for me.

But, just out of fun, I am going to nitpick on your argument for bid: so should we start a thread in the SmartThings forums for HubConnect on SmartThings as it has technically nothing todo with Hubitat? :grin:

Don’t take me serious.... it has been a long day

I never professed to have all the answers. :grin::grin::grin:

I'm just waiting for 1.4 to come out.

and I'm doin' that dance for the next version of Homebridge-Hubitat-HubConnect. :smiley:

(saw all the goodness in the MakerAPI version and am trying.. trying to be patient.. tick tick tick.)

1 Like

It is in the works.... it was quite a bit of rework needed to get that done and I am trying to get the source codes aligned to make it easier and faster in the future

1 Like

Does anyone have a Samsung button, or any button driver that can be loaded on the SmartThings platform? I have tried the generic driver and it doesn't work. Keeps complaining on the capability "PushableButton" and the others. I suspect it can be changed to meet with SmartThings but I don't have enough coding skill to make it work.

My 2 paired and seem to work ok (with all 3 modes supported). I'm away from home so don't remember the driver used. Will check tomorrow and revert.

1 Like

Thanks. To be more clear its a HubConnect device handler that is loaded on SmartThings in order to pass a button push from Hubtat to SmartThings. HubConnect has a universal button driver but doesn't have one for SmartThings. I have been working with the universal device driver but haven't had any luck. I appreciate you check when you have a chance.

Sure, will check it when I get home.
Cheers.

The type of driver used by HubConnect can't be replaced by a 'real' driver.

HubConnect drivers for SmartThings are, as you noted, Universal. A series of Universal drivers got updated to include the Tiles section that Hubitat ignores and more are on their way. Soon, I heard. :slight_smile:

The Universal drivers will allow you to programmatically detect button pushes on ST, just not "see" them in ST's App.

Not sure if that's what you're asking, but that's what I interpreted. :smiley: