[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

The ability to add new "legacy" Groovy-based integrations with SmartThings was disabled in October. Existing setups would still continue to work. At the end of this year, those will stop working as the entire "legacy" Groovy backend for SmartThings is shut down. That will affect HubConnect if you had it installed and working before October. There's a whole list of the timeline for that over at the SmartThings Community.

To be on the safe side I would check Replica out before the 31st of December to keep everything in sync..

Is everyones Hubconnect still working? Mine is

2 Likes

Groovy has been given a extension with a unspecified deadline of early 2023

https://community.smartthings.com/t/update-to-smartthings-groovy-transition/254856

1 Like

Hi, I just see your post and I get some questions, I just buy a HE hub to migrate from ST to continue using webcore... So I have multiple virtual devices and physical one also installed on my ST hub. I m not sure on what would be the best way to migrate. If I understand I could let all those devices on my ST hub and use hubconnect to control those? Then if I transfer all my webcore pistons, would I be able to continue using my ST devices through hubconnect without migrating those in my HE hub ? Seem complicated to install and just want to be sure before to do it all!

Thanks!

Although Groovy got a reprieve, it will be discontinued someday. At that point, HubConnect will expire on ST. (It will still work Hubitat to Hubitat.)

I've been reading about HubiThings Replica and people seem excited about it's feature list.

1 Like

Very interesting... So Hubithings replica should still works without groovy with ST ?

Yes

SmartThings turned off the ability to install new Groovy Smartapps and DTHs, so it is no longer even possible to install the SmartThings side of HubConnect.

Frankly, while I used HubConnect to initially bridge my devices from ST=>Hubitat, before I moved them all over, I would not recommend it. It was a stop-gap measure.

Having the devices on Hubitat natively was much more reliable and performant than having them on ST. And the issue wasn't using HubConnect, but the underlying reliability of Hubitat as a platform vs. ST as a platform.

At the time I only had 100 Zigbee devices and a dozen Z-wave ones, so moving them all was a bunch of work. But it was worth it in the end.

HubiThings Replica is 100% using the new Smartthings API. That is what Samsung Smartthings is viewing as it's going forward method for talking with integrations or external services. You actually don't install anything on the Smartthings side with HubiThings Replica. You do authenticate it, but don't install anything. This also means it is 100% cloud based, but it does it in a way with Smartthings that allows you to get immediate updates to and from Smartthings.

@Bloodtick_Jones created the magic sauce that handles the negotiation with Smartthings to do the Lifecycle managmenet and that basically tells Smartthings that anytime a event takes place on selected devices to send them to Hubitat. You just need a virtual driver on the HE side to accept the updates from Smartthings and then send the commands to Smartthings when you want to. He did a great job with it, and is only going to get better. Major kudo's to him for that.

That said as @jlv points out you are always best served by having everything in HE if you can. If you have devices you can migrate, it is probably better to have them in HE if possible. Smartthings is cloud based so even with HubiThings replica if the real device resides in Smartthings you will still be subject to all of it's outages and problems.

I use Smarrthings as a cloud aggregator for things that don't work in HE. I have some Arlo cameras that are much easier to use through Smartthings then any other method. I also don't have a hub.

If you had some reason to want to control things from the Smartthings side there is the possibility to do so if you have a physical hub with Edge devices. You just need to link the Virtual Edge device through HubiThings Replica to the real device in HE.

3 Likes

very cool! And inside webcore, I use mode change as trigger and also change those mode inside piston... HE also use modes so its little bit confusing because I dont know if those modes would be updated from webcore to smartthings or if I should transfer those mode to HE ...? I also have a lot of virtual devices that control alexa routine and I also have multiple location in ST but with HE its looks different, I could not find how to create more location and I think that those location wont update all together since the app only open one location at time...

For now I have the choice to install something like Hubithings and let everything as is... or uninstall all devices from ST and install it on HE and also create all those virtual devices and rebuilt my webcore pistons with my green code...

My HubConnect stopped working last night. It says no network is detected and it shows remote hub (Smartthings) offline. And because i use Fibaro sensors for temperature monitoring i am now left with unfunctional heating system in the middle of the winter. Damn it Smartthings....

1 Like

I noticed that the SmartThings status in HE now says "offline" I assume that means that this is finally dead? I've done everything I have done before as far as reconnecting but it doesn't change. I use it to connect out appliances to HE and have been already playing with the other options for a while now. I just thought I would check in to see.

I think the plug was finally pulled.

Fibaro works natively I believe.

1 Like

Not these. There was a reason i chose the SmartThings hub for them. Indeed there is a community developed driver, but the SmartThings one worked better. I have the older firmware and there are a lot of issues.
I think as a temporary solution i will try to install the beta replica app, and afterwards find a fix for the Fibaro sensors.

Use [BETA] HubiThings Replica to keep using critical devices that do not work anymore. It is not too hard to migrate.

I will try to either migrate those devices to HE directly or replace them completely. I do not support any device or service that used cloud for important tasks. It does not matter how popular the device is, one day you will find yourself in this situation even though you spent money for it.

2 Likes

@csteele if you can you might want to try to get the title of this thread upated to remove the comment about Smartthings

2 Likes

I updated the title. :wink:

1 Like

Mine shows ST Offline. Is It the same for everyone? Last I heard, ST had indefinitely postponed the groovy execution date. But, is it now in fact, dead and gone?

1 Like