[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

Just pulled my last remote device from SmartThings and shut down the server before the groovy apocalypse. I want to thank @srwhite & @csteele for an awesome application/solution; that served both as an easy way to transition from ST to HE, and then maintain general functionality I was too lazy to move.

AGAIN A HUGE THANK YOU to @srwhite and @csteele !!

5 Likes

I am still using SmartThings via HubConnect to get Arlo motion sensing into Hubitat and to turn the cameras on and off via mode. Arlo is a linked service there, but still seems to have issues for integration directly into Hubitat (why still???).

I understand that HubConnect may die on Sep 30, but am wondering if it really has to or if it can not be ported as I presume a lot of people use ST as such a bridge for where HE falls short and does not deliver. I am aware of the IFTTT option, but why do they get to profit offering a quite delayed Arlo signal. What Arlo integration is available with HE that is (local and) direct?

The reality is the maintainers of HubConnect no longer use SmartThings. From what I read an external system would need to be created anyway to broker communications with their new APIs. I would suggest reading this thread as an option to integrate your Arlo cameras via NodeRed:

1 Like

It doesn't have to die, but no one has stepped up to make the migration. Including me. :smiley:

7 Likes

If you look at the requirements and infrastructure needed, this is more expensive than purchasing an IFTTT Pro sub. And do not only count the hardware but setting it up etc. If you know how to do that your hourly rate is not minimum wage, so the cost adds up quickly. Yes it is possible and I was aware of that, but it really is not a scalable solution.

Depending on the complexity of your automation, you can send the command via a simple web request to the ST Api. Sounds like you are only using on/off so setup in RM or WebCore should be straight forward. I do it via WebCore to keep location modes in sync. You will need to request a personal access token for the API.

There is a community project for samsung appliance drivers that use the API, you could also create something similar for Arlo if you are so inclined.

100% agree and as @csteele mentions no one has signed up to build a migration to the new ST and that would be many many hours of effort and hardware expense too. Plus many hours of support costs on this community.

Please don’t shoot the messenger I was only providing an alternative. I run NodeRed on my NAS via docker container for various things so was cheap for me.

1 Like

Which is essentially what IFTTT does for a charge.

Essentially without the IFTTT middleman (and potential lag).

Sounds like you have come to your solution as you keep coming back to IFTTT with options presented.

If you still want to explore options I would suggest creating another thread specifically to discussing Arlo integration as HubConnect isn't the long term solution.

I know most of this thread, especially toward the end, is related to SmartThings... But I have to mention, I use HubConnect to connect devices from different physical locations, i.e. two homes. Since the new mesh capability doesn't support that yet, I'm glad for HubConnect and hope we can still support it for my use case... :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your work @csteele !

3 Likes

Sorry I had to correct this post, please re-read. Would you happen to be lucky enough to be an Amazon Alexa user? What I did was use the integration that Arlo has with Alexa to create an automation that flips on/off a HE virtual switch when motion is detected . On = motion on camera x. Virtual switch then triggers HE automation to notify me via the notifications app.

I used the virtual switch driver named, “ Universal Virtual Device Switch uDTH - For Alexa, IFTTT, WebHooks, HSM, and other integrations “ to push the virtual switch into Alexa.

In that driver there is a feature to reset the switch back to off after “x” seconds. I use 5

That alone is a impossibility. Arlo is a cloud based service. At best you would have to deal with a communication from your home, to Arlo, and then back to your hub if it was nativly supported.

With Smartthings being a aggregator you just put them in between Arlo and your home on the return path. Then it could be local with Samsung Automation Studio in Node-Red.

Not sure this is the case. Most likely all you need is a Raspberry pi or similar low power computer. Everything else is free. So $35 to set this up and not depend on anyone is not to bad. Now if you cant find a pie at MSRP maybe.

That driver is great if you don't need event passed nominations. If you are using Arlo as motion sensors you really will want to take the time to set it up by events.

IFTTT is a resource you sign up with that is cloud based. Node-Red is a application you run locally. You have much more control over how it runs for you and can ensure better performance. I have never had a great experience with IFTTT because it seems very inconsistent. That isn't what you want with a motion sensor.

This is more of a hack then actual integration. You can't control the cameras with this method. You just get motion notifications. Depending on how the user uses the cameras and which ones he has this could be a huge issue. He mentioned he turns the cameras on and off and i am not sure alexa can do that.

@schuppenhauer Pretty much the only thing i use Smartthings now for is Alro integration. The directions I gave in the linked thread above are long, but not as bad as they look. You can go trough those directions in no time. I also posted a Raspberry Pi Image that has it all preloaded so all you would need to do is load that on a pi and do a little bit of configuration.

There is also a thread where I discuss arlo integration specifically with Samsung Automation Studio. In that thread i have posted a virtual driver for Arlo devices.

With my setup i get event notifications from Smartthings for the Arlo cameras it seems to be near realtime when I have monitored it. Then i have node red send on off commands to Smartthings when they are turned on and off in HE. When my alarm is triggered my siren capable Arlo cameras activate and then turn off when the alarm is deactivated. I also have a flow that enables button actions from my arlo video doorbell. It will take a little time to create the flows, but it just works now.

1 Like

You can turn on / off the cameras via the Alexa integration. I have a routine that will turn off the inside cameras when my Apple iPhones (via the homekit integration) reports presence for any of the household members.

SmartThings Got's to go!!!! I'm 99% there. I just use it for the Samsung TV integration and even that's not via the bridge.

I switched to this a while back. Being able to turn off individual cameras is the one feature I wanted to keep in HE.

It has been working well.

1 Like

Noticed tonight for the 1st time, my ST hub is no longer connecting via HubConnect.

Anyone else notice this?

Yep, me too. The old girl has given up the ghost.. She’s finally gone to the smart home in the sky.

1 Like

Mine is still working normally as I write this. I have a 'shoulder tapping' automation that executes every 5 minutes via HubConnect that lets me know if my ST and HE hubs can't interact with each other, and it hasn't skipped a beat. Maybe they're shutting things down on a shard by shard basis.

2 Likes

Me too.... byebye