[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

Something to be aware of if you think about using Hubconnect to interface with Smartthings.

3 Likes

The end is near.

This has been a slow death.

4 Likes

With the long delayed announcement looks like will have to switch our dish washer to power monitoring. And add a contact sensor to our fridge.

Or just one of the two options to poll the Smartthings API. You can use Node-Red or thr specialized driver that does polling.

@maverik which specialized driver do you mean? Can you also use it for a Samsung washer to get the current status? The other possibility would be the power monitoring as mentioned by @markbellkosel84 .

1 Like

Sorry if this has been answered but I wasn't able to find it. What will happen to the hubconnect devices that are in Smartthings and Hubitat? Will they just disappear on September 30th or will they show up as ghost nodes that need to be cleaned up?

Whatever is the most inconvenient for their customers, I presume. The remote hub will appear unresponsive, because of course, without Groovy, it can't respond. I'm expecting I'll have to delete the remote hub instance.

6 Likes

I've been trying to end my SmartThings interaction for 3 years :smiley:

Twice I've shut down SmartThings, only to be pulled back via the Community... once when Steve created HubConnect and I volunteered to assist with the support. After ST announced its pull back from Groovy and Hubitat released HubMesh, I shut it down again. I was pulled back in by new ST migrators and had a Hubless instance running for a year or so.

Today, I ended ST for the 3rd time and shut my Hubless instance. I've removed everything from the ST App, and then removed everything from the IDE.. Apps, Drivers and Devices.

I carefully place this burden into it's small box, seal it with tape and slide it onto the shelf. :smiley: :smiley:

7 Likes

Thank you so much for all your help as always. You are a major contributor and we appreciate you.

1 Like

I loved HubConnect with ST and Hubitat in parallel. It made using them together so easy, that I was able to procrastinate endlessly. Well, until now. lol

1 Like

Just pulled my last remote device from SmartThings and shut down the server before the groovy apocalypse. I want to thank @srwhite & @csteele for an awesome application/solution; that served both as an easy way to transition from ST to HE, and then maintain general functionality I was too lazy to move.

AGAIN A HUGE THANK YOU to @srwhite and @csteele !!

5 Likes

I am still using SmartThings via HubConnect to get Arlo motion sensing into Hubitat and to turn the cameras on and off via mode. Arlo is a linked service there, but still seems to have issues for integration directly into Hubitat (why still???).

I understand that HubConnect may die on Sep 30, but am wondering if it really has to or if it can not be ported as I presume a lot of people use ST as such a bridge for where HE falls short and does not deliver. I am aware of the IFTTT option, but why do they get to profit offering a quite delayed Arlo signal. What Arlo integration is available with HE that is (local and) direct?

The reality is the maintainers of HubConnect no longer use SmartThings. From what I read an external system would need to be created anyway to broker communications with their new APIs. I would suggest reading this thread as an option to integrate your Arlo cameras via NodeRed:

1 Like

It doesn't have to die, but no one has stepped up to make the migration. Including me. :smiley:

7 Likes

If you look at the requirements and infrastructure needed, this is more expensive than purchasing an IFTTT Pro sub. And do not only count the hardware but setting it up etc. If you know how to do that your hourly rate is not minimum wage, so the cost adds up quickly. Yes it is possible and I was aware of that, but it really is not a scalable solution.

Depending on the complexity of your automation, you can send the command via a simple web request to the ST Api. Sounds like you are only using on/off so setup in RM or WebCore should be straight forward. I do it via WebCore to keep location modes in sync. You will need to request a personal access token for the API.

There is a community project for samsung appliance drivers that use the API, you could also create something similar for Arlo if you are so inclined.

100% agree and as @csteele mentions no one has signed up to build a migration to the new ST and that would be many many hours of effort and hardware expense too. Plus many hours of support costs on this community.

Please don’t shoot the messenger I was only providing an alternative. I run NodeRed on my NAS via docker container for various things so was cheap for me.

1 Like

Which is essentially what IFTTT does for a charge.

Essentially without the IFTTT middleman (and potential lag).