[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

Yes, it’s cloud, but also is an official Samsung free offering that would permit your automations to still function from HE until you find a local solution.

UPDATE:

@csteele answered my questions in the support ticket on the HubConnect site, lightning fast! Thanks! :grinning:

Hi all, long time reader, occasional poster; please excuse if this post is in the wrong place. I opened a support ticket as suggested in the first post, but then I noticed the discussions here about ST Groovy support and Graph IDE going away. This makes my tasks even higher priority (for me :slight_smile: ), and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Setup: I'm using HubConnect (v2) to sync all of my ST devices with my Hubitat (HE) hub. A majority of my Z-Wave and ZigBee devices are paired with ST, and HE mostly has virtual devices. I've started very recently to pair any new devices I buy, with HE directly, but that's only one or 2 devices in total for now.

I have 2 questions:

• Is it possible to move a sync'd/mirror device from ST to HE? Currently, my system is one way, with SmartThings devices shared with Hubitat using HubConnect. If I wanted to move a few Z-Wave/ZigBee devices directly over to HE (after Z-wave unpair in ST), how do I ensure the reverse integration works? Is there a way to keep device handlers and devices in both hubs as is, and just change the Hubitat driver to Z-Wave (instead of virtual) and change the ST driver to Virtual (instead of Z-Wave specific)? If it is not possible to do this, and I need to delete both devices and start again, can you please suggest some detailed instructions to do it?

• I have some devices directly connected to Hubitat (ZigBee, Z-Wave etc) which were not sync'd with ST initially. I enabled their "sync" option with ST. I also created the device handlers (DH only, no devices) in ST using the drivers provided on the HubConnect site. After restarting/refreshing the HubConnect apps on both hubs, there are still no new devices created in ST corresponding to the newly enabled ones in HE. How do I troubleshoot it? Do I need to create placeholder devices also in ST?

Please let me know if I can provide more details.
Thanks

As i understand it no. The Zwave/Zigbee protocals require them to be linked to the hub. At that time a new device will be created. A the same time the device on the ST side is not a virtual device and as such will never get updates.

I think this is about what are you trying to resolve with this change in the first place. If it is to get way from Groovey IDE dependent apps in Smartthings you will look at alternatives to Hub connect. If not you would just setup hubconnect in the reverse direction. It can setup and manage virtual devices in Smartthings as long as it works. The alternative would be to use Node-Red with the Samsung Automation Studio. You would probably also need to use the new experimental Edge driver setup with a Hub to create virtual devices if you do more then just simple switches.

The answer would be dependent on your devices and the tech the use (Zigbee/Zwave). The gist of it though is

1. Remove the device from ST
    a. Zwave do a exlusion from ST to remove the device
    b. Zigbee simpy remove the device from the ST UI
  2. Follow posted instructions to add/include the device in HE.
    a. keep in mind since both of those devices use Mesh technology you will likely suffer some performance issues as you move device from one hub to the other and destabilize one to add to the other.

Hubconnect is suppose to do that for you. This may be a issue with ST as they are starting to force folks to stop use the legacy IDE more and more. Generally speaking when everything was working right, if you setup a device to sync to ST it would tell what drivers are needed on the ST side in the IDE to allow the device to be created. Once you finalized the config Hubconnect would just do it. If that isn't working i would start to thing this is a limitation ST has put in place for legacy apps. Have you checked the logging to look for errors.

Just to summarize on a comment above you probably should look at Node-Red with the "Samsung Automation Studio" and "Hubitat" pallets. Those two pallets will allow you to integrate between ST and HE. Then on the ST side if you have a hub you would likely want to look at this thread about Virtual Edge devices.. Those virtual devices will allow you to created devices beyond just a simple switch. They are edge devices though so run on the ST hub. It is also a brand new option from ST so edge devices are kind of in a beta state at the moment.

That combination of things should allow you to fully integrate between the two environments. I have been running Node-Red with Samsung automation studio for better part of the year now and it has worked pretty well when i am not messing with it.

2 Likes

Thank you @mavrrick58 for the detailed response, as well as additional suggestions about nodered and other options; much appreciated :+1:

My long term goal is to move away from ST completely, so I'll probably start the "unpair from ST + pair with HE" project that I've been putting off for some time now. :slightly_smiling_face:
The resulting mesh instability and time it will take for things to finally settle down has been on my mind. (I know there are some good posts on this topic in this forum.)

Does anyone know if the SmartThings cam, and the Samsung Tag (their version of lost/found Tile tags) can be made to work with Hubitat? (I also have a HomeAssistant instance and a couple of RPi's in case the solution lies elsewhere).

What would you use them for with Hubitat? They would likely need to stay connect to ST and then use node red on a raspberry pi to get updates for them into HE.

HE doesn't have any native camera support. My use case is for Arlo cameras. I simply use ST as a cloud aggregator and then with Node Red maintain the state of those cameras on virtual devices in HE. That is probably ehat you would need to do.

I would do some research with the those devices and just see what you can pull down and send commands to using the Samsung Automation Studio pallet. I would expect you can anything you normally can do with native Smartthings but can't confirm until you try.

I would just take one of those pi's with all the needed stuff for Samsung Automation studio.

This is a thread that discusses how to do it Node Red with Smarthings using Samsung Automation Studio

1 Like

So from my testing I discovered that I can still send devices Hubitat->Smartthings. However, I cannot go Smartthings->Hubitat for any new devices (existing devices that were already set up still work).

I started dabling with Home Assistant a few weeks ago and there is an app that allows you to send Home Assistant devices to Hubitat:

This app performs flawlessly to operate my lights originating from Smartthings (haven't tested anything else). There is also an official Home Assistant integration for Smartthings.

So what I do is Smartthings->Home Assistant->Hubitat. I don't notice any performance degradation when I do this and it works for my setup. Just a thought and probably the simplest way to bridge hubs while staying local.

I just noticed that Package Manager had an update for most of my Hubconnect drivers. Nothing here or on the Hubconnect site that has anything about these updates. Anyone have any information on these driver updates?

@csteele

and

I just noticed that our refrigerator and freezer (Samsung, connected to Smart things) stopped reporting. I've tried restarting and resyncing everything with no change. Any thoughts?

Just a general comment about HubConnect and SmartThings. I have devices shared going both ways and have had no issues... I'm using the new ST app and the IDE is still up and running... Now I'll prolly jinx everyone by bringing this up, but I believe HubConnect to be a great piece of code and it is still going strong for me...

@markbellkosel84 I can say the majority of issues I have encountered are because of SmartThings itself... I have had to delete and re-add TV's, washers and dryers, and other Samsung devices periodically as they seem to just stop working... You might have to re-pair your fridge again... Usually these issue show up in the ST app so not sure if you are seeing that or not.

I have full function in the ST app. It's very odd. I'll give re pairing a go.

In early 2019, when Steve White asked me if I wanted to test out his code that became HubConnect, I had already retired my ST hub. Once it became clear that I was going to be the Alpha Tester, I resurrected that ST Hub and did some serious testing and development for a couple years.

When ST announced the end of life, neither Steve nor I had any continued interest in the new ST platform. A few months ago that culminated in me, once again, disconnecting my ST hub and packing it carefully in the Junk Box. Therefore, my ability to refresh my memory on HubConnect for SmartThings is gone and my memory of it is being pushed out by newer items.

What I can remember and mention is that you can dive into the HubConnect Selection menu deep enough to reselect your refrigerator/freezer (but not actually reselect,) and then click Done all the way back out. The remote hub (ST in this case) will resend the list of every mirrored device to the main hub. If there was a disconnect/drop of the mirroring, a new device will be created. Look at the logs to see what action was taken.

Second option is to delete the mirrored device from the main hub. Obviously this breaks any place where the object was in use, but you can create a Virtual Device and swap it into all the in-use places prior to the delete. Then, when you pretend to reselect in the ST App, a new device will actually be created and then you can swap back.

Similarly, you can deselect a device in the ST app and when you Done all the way out, the device will also be removed from the Hubitat side (assuming you have that feature enabled.)

Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 9.28.26 AM

1 Like

Thank you I will give this a try and report back.

Just had to to go through getting my Arlo cameras re-connected this weekend. Everything still showed connected and Hubconnect said it was online but there seemed to be no communication. I just went through the apps on the HE and ST side clicking through to done and it seemed to take care of it.

So hopefully you can do the same.

1 Like

doing that seems to have worked! Thank you for the suggestions @terminal3 and @csteele

1 Like

This is a mighty long thread, that Im trying to parse. Im trying to figure out if I can have devices that are in registered in my samsung graph be replicated into Hubitat. The ST hub that these devices belong to are not on the same network. So its almost 'hubless' to that extent.

Thanks

Is HubConnect V2 still available for installation? I don't get the point on how to start the best.

Any help is very appreciated. I think HubConnect could be one of the best ways to start migrating devices from ST to HE and still remain some devices like Arlo Cams on ST hub.

Have ond ST hub and one HE hub and would like to connect.

What's the best starting point?
How to install the necessary apps and drivers
Do I need the server on the Raspi? What is this good for?
Better solution than Hub Connect? Read something about new new ST api, but not sure if I can install all the stuff on my existing RPI, which I use for Sonos httm api and WebCORE

Thanks for any ideas and input

Yes, HubConnect is still available. The question is: Is ST still able to add it?

The very high level recipe for HubConnect is to install HubConnect v2.0 Bundles from HubConnect.TO

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.34.37 AM

Download and install these two Bundles:

That gets the Code onto your Hubitat Hub and the next step is to use the Apps menu to add it.

In SmartThing's IDE, you add one smart app and one DTH from this code:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.38.27 AM

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 8.38.36 AM

Then, on your SmartThings App, add HubConnect as an App.

Now it's time to configure both hubs.

Full instructions can be found as:

But the new Hubitat feature of Bundles has not yet been applied to those instructions. Bundles simplifies the installation of code on Hubitat and therefore you can skim past those steps in the Installation Instructions.

No, you don't need it for SmartThings.

No, but that's a biased answer :slight_smile:

People are using SmartThings to Node-Red and Node-Red to Hubitat to accomplish a similar goal. I have not tried it. Node-Red would run on an external, always-on computer. A RaspberryPi is often the starting point for Node-Red.

1 Like

Speaking of the Arlo cams that is the only thing I still have on Hubconnect. It was working great until a couple weeks ago. It's weird as I can still enable and disable cameras through Hubconnect, so the connection is still there, but motion won't pass through anymore. Luckily the Alexa integration is working pretty well. So I can use that to pass motion to HE. If I could figure out a way to turn off cameras outside of Hubconnect I wouldn't need it anymore.

The reason you would want to use Node Red with Samsung automation studio is to prevent a issue with the devices when Samsung turns off the Groove IDE. When they do that Hubconnect integration will stop working. The problem is no one knows when this will really happen, just that Samsung has said that it was coming.

You can use Node-Red with Samsung Automation Studio pallet to send on/off controls to Smartthings and turn the cameras on/off.