[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

It’s odd to me that anyone switching to HE and using HC for ST wouldn’t know that there was an EOL. ST announced their plans years ago. I started with ST in 2013. I went through all of the pain and what eventually gave birth to HE.

If someone picks up the code, they could provide it free. However hosting apps has changed the landscape and knowledge level for most people.

1 Like

I think there's no life in a SmartThings to Hubitat Elevation path anymore. HubConnect probably isn't an ideal architecture for the new ST path. Beyond just creating a "Remote Client" replacement, the entire structure might need adjustment(s). The abstraction of "Events" were similar enough that ST <--> HE functionality was possible. Vera, Wink, HomeAssistant, Indigo, and all of the rest of the hubs deserve(d) the same but the architecture wasn't compatible enough, ignoring entirely the development hurdles of Language and support of ANY community created offering.

Whatever migration functionality HubConnect offers is soon ending and the option to simply never migrate a subset of devices because the integration is better, is declining even faster. All too soon, ST will be just another hub and the special benefits will vanish.

@Bago... clarification... There was never a notion of selling HubConnect. <rant>Github has become a repository of "Free for all" code... independent of what the developers intend. No one reads the License because there's an assumption that they all read the same... "Free for all" and that extends to common courtesy of attribution. Code on Github means no attribution needed, right?? In fact, as far as I know, every License on Github has a requirement for attribution... it's just ignored by so many that the newbies think it's the intent. <\rant>

And as to Node-Red, I find it to be most attractive if for no other reason that it can/should assist with other Hub products too. I know there's a HomeAssistant NR plugin, so already that means twice the integration HubConnect offers :smiley:

If there's one thing that augments a home automation hub more than most, it's Node-Red. Rule Machine and it's derivatives are excellent, WebCoRE has certainly grown into an option that ST migrants should love... and Do I guess :slight_smile: I'm not a hammer and thus not all problems look like nails to me. I find Node_Red to be a very simple solution to certain problems. Problems that are Bolts, for example. :slight_smile:

I know and understand HubConnect so well, it's going to be the tool I use for a long long time.

2 Likes

Missed part

2 Likes

I bet you're not the only speculator :smiley:

2 Likes

I am relieved to know that HubConnect will be around for a long, long time.

1 Like

What is this voodoo of which you speak? I looked it up and it seems this is only for Hubitat hubs.....:frowning:

Thus far I have only used it with the MyQ app, but there is a Hubitat app for it I haven't used yet:

If Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy!

I use my system less for hardcore automation and more for centralized control, Alexa options for non-Alexa devices etc. She does need to see whatever dashboard I end up with and although there are some platform-agnostic options like Sharptools, ActionTiles etc I ('m still learning the ins and out of those myself!) the stuff SHE uses every day is still on ST for now because she's used to it. If there were an easy and reliable way to have all my devices in Hubitat, but still allow her to use the ST interface she is used to, that would be a good stopgap until I decide on a standardized platform for dashboards in my house.

Voodoo - you're right, but that is what most people do (HE to HE).

Yep!

Having all of the devices in ST? Unless you switch back to ST, this addiction to their interface will need to end.

Think of rehab - caffeine is a tough addition, probably worse than ST, but with time, perseverance, and lots of headaches, it can be overcome.

How many devices do you need to move? I have 300 devices. It took a few days and a bit more to get the automations running. I did it room by room. It was probably a month before everything worked perfect - I missed a few things here and there. My wife is an engineer and was good about it all. She was like "did you know....", "yeah yeah yeah, I'm working on it".

SharpTools and ActionTiles are polished solutions. If you run multiple HE hubs, you can use HubMesh to share the devices so they all show up in SharpTools or ActionTiles.

Good luck!

2 Likes

What is it you really need. If it is the ST interface. You will likely just be better suited by staying in the ST environment. Their interface is nice, but many people here will tell you that you shouldn't need a external interface. Home automation should be about automation and not about looking at a dashboard or talking to a voice device perse. Fortunately my wife never wanted to deal with dashboards. Her requirement was simply if i automate something it needs a manual option as well. @Bago is right in that it is kind of time for rehab.

I do suggestion Action tiles as it is pretty polished and I have carried it over from my days on ST. I would also make apoint that dashoards should only be used to get a overall view of the state of your system. If you are using it for regularly for control, then you are making things more complicated.

Unfortunately the Node-Red option i mentioned above is more about pulling ST devices into HE instead of the other way around. It doesn't have issues controlling devices in ST, but the problem is getting a virtual device there for something that exists in HE. I haven't found a good way to do that once the Groovy IDE is gone. Node-Red though also has a what I have heard is a pretty good dashboard system as well.

So back to my original thought though. What is it your wife really needs. Maybe just have a talk with her and tell her what you are doing and let her tell you what her needs are. If it is to use the ST app on her phone, well you are screwed. I know my WAF went up allot when i made a point of including her in anything that would impact her usage. There is still allot i do otherwise, but atleast if she is going to be impacted it can be prioritized and she doesn't feel off guard by changes.

1 Like

She can move to a new interface. I just won't do it until the final solution is in place.

Not as many as you! Most of them have already been moved!

What I really need is an interface that lends itself well to all devices like phones, PC, wall tablets etc. Ultimately that answer will likely be ActionTiles or Sharptools. I am messing with both options right now. It's not that she's addicted to ST. It's just what she is used to. I don't see the point in disrupting her until the ultimately solution is ready. She also prefers it that way. lol

As I mentioned earlier, I don't automate as much as some do. I certainly have some simple automations like lights on at dusk etc, but primarily I use my platform for remote control of things. Over time the level of automation may increase, but for now it's a REALLY fancy remote control with some automatic lighting. The one big thing I did was put together a z-wave, automated pool controller that runs at the appropriate times.

3 Likes

Do you really just need to be able to expose switches to her? If so there is an easy option for that. What kind of devices need to be in ST for her to use?

I have found Action tiles switches between devices very cleanly.

I followed the installation procedure provided in the site knowledge base. I also installed the driver for Smarthins and the one for Hubitat (see arrow on the print screen). I have successfully connected my Hubitat hub with my Smartthings hub. I have selected the devices to share but I do not see them in Smartthings. Are there any other drivers that need to be installed for this to work or something else?

Capture d’écran 2021-08-15 155917

You need to install the drivers on the SmartThings side for the Hubitat devices you want to share.

On Smartthings I installed the driver in the folder (arrow on print screen) but there is only one. Is there other driver and where can download it?

I also see this in hubitat (print screen) Sould I need install this drivers on hubitat too? But there is no more drivers in the "RC2" folder....

Installation of the fundamentals involve 3 files on a Hubitat hub, becoming your HubConnect Server.

You need:

• HubConnect Server for Hubitat
  • HubConnect Server Instance
  • HubConnect Remote Hub

On a Hubitat Remote Hub, you need two files:

• HubConnect Remote Client for Hubitat
  • HubConnect Remote Hub

On a SmartThings Remote Hub, you need two files:

• HubConnect Remote Client for SmartThings
  • HubConnect Remote Hub

Those files allow the creation of a bidirectional "highway" between hubs. But for any specific device, that 'highway' gets used in one direction.. from a real device to its connected hub.

The connected hub must have a HubConnect driver specific to the device. You can put all of the HubConnect universal drivers on your Server hub via HPM. That would allow any SmartThings device to be mirrored to the Server. But HPM doesn't exist on ST and therefore, the necessary drivers get added to ST's IDE.

Thanks Csteele,

If I understand, I install all universal drivers found in "RC1" folder on my Hubitat AND on Smartthings. Should I install also drivers in the "smartthings drivers" folder on my Smartthings hub too?

Overkill.

Roughly speaking, there are more Universal drivers total than the ST specific equivalents. The difference is the ST Tiles feature. Universals do not have Tiles. The identical driver "for SmartThings" will have them. Therefore you only need one per driver function. You need a "switch" driver, for example, and there will be a Universal as well as a Switch for SmartThings. Either will work to provide connectivity, BUT if you want to poke at buttons on the ST App then you need the one with Tiles (buttons in the App.)

Just an FYI, in case you were not already aware - The ST Tiles feature is now fully obsolete as it only applied to the ST Classic Mobile App. The new ST Mobile App completely ignores the Tiles section of any custom Groovy DTH. It requires a VID to be added to get custom devices to display correctly in the ST App.

3 Likes

Oh that's just great :smiley:

I actually started to reach for my phone to check out how some old devices looked... and then remembered.. I powered off all my ST stuff: No Hub, and no HubConnect remote instances.

3 Likes