[RELEASE] HubConnect - Share Devices across Multiple Hubs (no longer SmartThings!)

All what you have said I understand and have it working with 2,0 RC1. Now how do I get the fans to work the way they should???

I am still new to this, but what command am I supposed to use in order to run hubconnect on my RPI?
Thanks in advance

Ok I have built my highway and the universal drivers are in the HT lane and the st drivers are on ST side plus the real device drivers are installed correctly. What am I missing?

Fans are an interesting device.

SmartThings defines Fan Speed as:

As you can see, there's one command for Fans.. setFanSpeed which takes a NUMBER.

Hubitat defines fans as:

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 7.59.02 PM

Which also has one command: setSpeed(fanSpeed) which is an enumerated list of speeds.

The two are not compatible.

This gets mitigated by Hubitat Fan Drivers that usually translate. You set the speed to "Medium" and two commands (Events) occur: 1) setSpeed("medium") and 2) SetFanSpeed = 50

Some Hubitat / Community Fan Drivers support one or the other and not both.

HubConnect has two Universal Drivers for Fans. HubConnect Fan Controller and HubConnect FanSpeed Controller.

It's the FanSpeed driver that has the translation/conversion included. However, it is a Universal Driver (no tiles,) not a SmartThings Device Type driver (with Tiles). Thus it translates/converts ST --> Hubitat, not the other way. The other way (HE --> ST) is reliant on the REAL driver supporting both, and thus delivering to the HubConnect Fan Device Type Driver numeric values, since that's what ST wants.

2 Likes

Thanks good info, I will check my setup.

HubConnect is added to an rPi as a plugin to Homebridge. Homebridge runs as a NodeJS app on a variety of computers, including rPi. There are two Hubitat Plugin's of note, one uses the MakerAPI mechanism, the other uses the HubConnect mechanism. You could use the HubConnect version but I'd suggest using the HubConnect version when you already have HubConnect installed.

I've created a Hubitat focused Image for a rPi that includes Homebridge with BOTH plugins as well as Node-Red, with all the palettes commonly used for Hubitat.

1 Like

Recently i added a couple of ge smart switches to hubitat that support holdablebutton and doubletapbutton. Anyone have a driver that passes these along to the server?

@csteele getting this in the logs all day long. why is it classed as a error when i want the client to send modes to the server but not the other way round? surly i don't want to create a loop?

1 Like

Well, I think your hub might be surly if you enable it :wink:

server hub.

remote

so it is kept in sync, all changes only happen on the remote, am i doing it wrong?

No, it's informational. I can't really say why it's coded to use the Error designation, but I've adjusted that in the code I'm running. Consider it a cosmetic item... it's simply saying that it got a report, and is ignoring it... which is what you've asked it to do :slight_smile:

1 Like

that's what i thought, makes you worry if its an "error" though.

line and app please :slightly_smiling_face:

which is fine, i am correct in saying it best to do it that way though? other wise it will bounce?

There's logic to protect from a bounce/loop on a Mode Change. I don't remember the answer for HSM... but it has the same 'cosmetic' error. :slight_smile:

these seem to be the device driver, or should I just try them on both the server and remote?

Sorry about that. I didn’t read your post very well, obviously. From what platform to what platform?

both ends are hubitat

You could create a custom driver if you need to sync the switch state and button actions, or if you only need button events, you could just add the “real” device into the button section after loading the HubConnect button controller driver on the other hub. Are you on HubConnect 2?

yes v2. i did create a custom driver but cannot get the other end to see the hold or doublepress option

Do they show up on he device page for the “real” device?
And, is the remote device using the driver you created?
If yes to both, you could try using the HubConnect button device driver and see if the events show up then.