[RELEASE] Hub Watchdog - Simple way to monitor if your hub is slowing down or not

I had wondered that too. However, I've set Mode Manager with changes at:

• 5AM
  • 7AM
  • 1PM
  • 6PM
  • 11PM

None of the long delays occurred at the same time as one of the mode changes.

I've also noticed that prior to my most recent reboot these delays would occur 1 - 4 hours apart. Since then I haven't had a long delay in almost 12 hours.

That’s only a minute before the watchdog app runs. I’m wondering if it’s something with the mode changes.

So I get that the watchdog app is running within a minute of my mode change settings, but wouldn't that indicate the slowdowns should've occurred at those times (e.g. 5:01 AM, 7:01 AM, 1:01 PM, etc.)? Looking at my data this morning, the times at which the watchdog app experienced these slow responses were at any time but the mode change settings:

10/24 @ 2:31 AM
10/23 @ 9:01 AM
10/23 @ 5:31 AM
10/23 @ 4:31 AM
10/23 @ 3:01 AM
10/23 @ 2:01 AM
10/23 @ 12:01 AM

I'm not saying it couldn't be related, but so far my data doesn't appear to point in that direction. For now I'm wondering if anyone else has seen something similar to gather more data in the hopes of finding a pattern.

I will note that since my reboot yesterday late morning, the frequency of these slow responses is down to one in the last 15+ hours. Better than before but still occurring.

@bptworld Bryan,

Hub watchdog is throwing an error I thought i would share with you. I am monitoring a GE Zigbee switch. The error is:

I get nothing else in the log for this watchdog child. It does seem to be collecting data but not hourly as setup to do. Other watchdog children are working fine. any thoughts?

LJ

Turn debug logging on and show me what happens before the error.

Thanks.

Also, EVERYONE PLEASE keep this thread to discussing the app. Keep all 'my readings are this or that, what can I do?' to their own thread. This will get out of hand fast and I can miss issues with the app.

THANK YOU!

3 Likes

Debug is on. That is the only log message for this child watchdog when I hit Run Test Now.

LJ

WAIT, This is interesting. In my logs there are two devices in the device list at the top which are named "Hub Watchdog - Guest Closet". Can't understand why that would be. One only contains the error I sent and the other seems to contain more info. See the attached screen print for two entries.

Nonetheless, in the second one I have more detailed logs. Here is the print. I will look at that too while you do.

EDIT: Upon further examination, the second entry which contains the error is the device, not the app. it has no space between Guest and Closet. It is the device which has the error.

Thanks,

LJ

Without any other log entries around that error and no errors within the app, I don't have much to go on. And since you have other devices that are reporting correctly, I would delete this device and child app and start again or just use a different device.

@bptworld

Hi Bryan - might have picked up a bug. Hub Watchdog for my z-wave device is noting a single negative delay value.

I'm not sure that it should ever be a negative value. Unless, Clark Kent stopped by late last night and took my hub on a quick trip through time :smile:

Hasn't happened since then, but I thought I'd let you know.

Trying to set this up. I used a spare Aeon Zwave outlet and set that up as a child device. I didn't set up any virtual device to send results to (unsure if this is required). I have run some tests, however report always fails. Perhaps this is because a Virtual device is required to send results to? I just want in-hubitat report & pushover alerts if thresholds are past.

Thanks!

EDIT: Virtual Devices to send your results to are required. Once I created these with type "Hub Watchdog Driver" and linked them to the children, it worked.

Yup.

1 Like

Click on the 'Instructions for Data Device'...

This is where the data is stored for the reports

:wink:

1 Like

Any idea why I would be getting this error in Examiner?

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method join() on null object on line 222 (reportRawOptions)

This was all a new install AFTER the 9/29 updates.

New version on GitHub...

Examiner Child:
V1.0.2 - 12/04/19 - Chasing a gremlin

That did it. Thanks!!

Could something advise in setting this up, had hub 24 hours have a z-wave switch and a zigbee set up and virtual switch.
I've can get the child app to run and click reports. But the examiner child doesn't seem to do anything and with the 3 devices option I can add the virtual switch, doent show up

is 1 second good or bad for a zigbee switch, on a clean hub?

What is the purpose of the 2 different child apps? If we're just adding Hub Watchdog now, do we need both, or just the newer one?

Also, I see that the hub watchdog driver has a switch capability. Can I just point the test to that same virtual device that I created for hub watchdog to store data, or does that already use the switch capability for something else?

1st one 'Hub device child' lets you select a device to test.

2nd, 'Examiner' compares up to 3 devices.

Each child app needs a 'switch' device to test and a separate 'virtual device' to store the data.

That seems slow, unless it is actually a bulb or a dimmer since I don't think they report state back until fully on. My zigbee plugs that are close to the hub take under 400ms if memory serves me right. If it is a plug, it could be that the plug is too far away and you don't have any repeaters to help with signal propagation.
EDIT: Just re-enabled the zigbee switch and got this for 3 readings.