[Release] Holiday Lighting

I had asked for this (or something similar) before, and we had tried to work on it but couldn't get it working reliably. Maybe with more than one person asking he might take another stab at it.

I still think the better way to achieve it is a virtual switch that turns on during a holiday, then an automation that turns the lights on during the desired time if that switch isn't on.

Use garden hue

1 Like

I tried that first. Doesn't really do what I want unless I'm missing the forest for the trees. I can do it with rules but was hoping for an easy way.

1 Like

Room lighting turned out to offer a transition from rgb to CT that I was looking for. It appears that I can use Holiday Lighting to turn on a virtual switch/activator to trigger the room lighting instance with the Holiday schedule. If that works it will turn ot to be perfect.

2 Likes

Is it possible to enable turning on and off a virtual switch on the Holiday schedule without selecting lights.

2 Likes

Having some issues and not sure if it is by bulbs or my app setup.

I have 3 Inovelli ZWave bulbs outside, 1) Porch, 2)left garage and 3)right garage.
I have wired the line and load together, so I have constant power, ie not switches to activate.

What happens is that on non-holiday days, the left and right bulb comes on but not the porch.

Does my setup look correct?

For illumination, you don't have any triggers set, so I'd expect the lights never to activate on non-holidays. Are you sure it's this app triggering them? If you turn on debug logging, you should see the app making decisions about whether to turn things on.

That's a good point; that should probably be a warning rather than an error, and I should make sure it doesn't prevent getting to the switch activation.

This may already be fixed as a result of a refactor I'm working on and hope to push out this week; if not, I'll fix it shortly.

1 Like

This might be the app I'm looking for.

I'm putting a couple color bulbs on my deck that I want to change the color of for different holidays.

But a couple extras I'm looking for.

Set brightness in holiday mode, and also if a motion sensor goes active switch to white/full brightness for XX minutes, then back to holiday mode.

1 Like

Both already present, in fact! As part of the color map, the "level" parameter is the brightness. The illumination settings let you specify the settings that trigger white light overriding the holiday colors.

1 Like

Sweet. I installed the app just to poke around and see what it looked like but must have missed that.

I haven't actually installed my color bulbs yet so I'll make a couple virtual ones to play around with.

On a side note, I figured out the library from your github but do I need to do anything with the .js file?

Installing from HPM is probably the easiest path. As of the new version, it needs:

• Library (color-tools.groovy)
  • App (holiday-lights.groovy)
  • Hosted file (evequefou_color_picker.js), uploaded to Settings > File Manager

But it looks like HPM is pushing it with a GUID prefix, so I need to figure out how to sort that.

1 Like

Looks like everything works just as I wanted it to! Sweet!

I do have one more idea that I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement. During normal lighting have a dusk to dawn, except during motion setting. I currently to this in webcore with my floodlights. At dusk they come on at 5%, bump up to 100% for motion, then back down after xx minutes. That might be enough to convince me to get some color floodlight bulbs. :slight_smile: Just wishlisty stuff! :slight_smile:

I did notice that if you make a typo on the color choice screen where you edit the field for level it pukes with an error that the only way I can figure around was to remove the app and re-add it.

I'll re-install it via HPM once you get it sorted. I actually searched in HPM but wasn't finding it so I went the manual route. :slight_smile:

Overall I'm happy and glad I saw this post!

Yeah, having always-on lights that get pre-empted by holiday which gets pre-empted by motion has been a common request. I've pushed back on it so far, but I have a feeling I'm going to wind up building that. Having a year-long holiday with the settings you want is the workaround I've suggested, since shorter holidays beat longer ones.

I'll try messing with the color map improperly and fix that bug.

3 Likes

@mbishop Was this based on what I asked earlier? Heck, I missed that you added that - thank you! I'll be switching over soon!

edit I read further down, looks like my excitement got the best of me, but also looks like you're leaning that way now, so thank you.

1 Like

Correct, my Christmas lights triggered. I will turn off for tonight.

In order to get my non-holiday lights to trigger what can/should I use ?

I changed out the Inovelli bulbs to hue, I think part of the issue was with the bulbs.
I also removed the app and re-installed through HPM.

Bulbs are on but they dont change colors:

Ran a test on the Holiday Lights, get this error:

app:16892022-11-30 09:37:51.901 PMerrororg.codehaus.groovy.runtime.metaclass.MethodSelectionException: Could not find which method doLightUpdate() to invoke from this list:
public java.lang.Object user_app_evequefou_Holiday_Lighting_488#doLightUpdate(java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object)
public java.lang.Object user_app_evequefou_Holiday_Lighting_488#doLightUpdate(java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object) (doLightUpdate)

app:16892022-11-30 09:37:51.037 PMdebugFinished with mainPage

app:16892022-11-30 09:37:51.034 PMdebugInitialize.... 16 and [15, 11, 0, 1, 13, 12, 2, 14, 4, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]

app:16892022-11-30 09:37:51.031 PMdebugRendering mainPage

app:16892022-11-30 09:37:43.129 PMdebugInitialize.... 16 and [15, 11, 0, 1, 13, 12, 2, 14, 4, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]

app:16892022-11-30 09:37:39.417 PMdebugFinished with mainPage

app:16892022-11-30 09:37:39.415 PMdebugInitialize.... 16 and [15, 11, 0, 1, 13, 12, 2, 14, 4, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]

app:16892022-11-30 09:37:39.412 PMdebugRendering mainPage

app:16892022-11-30 09:35:07.097 PMwarnNo holiday time set; null - null

Hm, that looks like it might be a version mismatch between library and app, or a left-over registration that I'm failing to clean up. Can you check that both are updated, and I'll double-check that I'm unregistering everything?

Any luck on the HPM front? I couldn't find it by searching, but browsing by tags it comes up, looks to install but doesn't actually install anything.