[Release] Holiday Lighting

I don't have any sensors so I left all those blank.
It goes on and off by sunset/sunrise only.

ETA: This setup works great in Holiday Mode.

Then there will never be activity, but you still need to tell it what behavior you want when there isn't any.

If it's applying anything other than "off" between when illumination starts and when the holiday lights start with this config, that would be a bug.

Appreciate the help.

So now, in the "Non Holiday Illumination" Menu, at the very bottom of the page, under "Lights when Idle" I selected "Color Temperature" and the same options as in the "Lights when Activity Detected" section. Hopefully that is the correct way to solve this......

Yes, since "activity detected" will never happen. (Actually, I wonder if I should hide those settings until you select sensors.) Let me know if that doesn't solve it for you!

Yes, hiding settings for sensors not used would be helpful.

After manually turning on the bulb last night, it went off as it should this AM, but again did not go on this PM.
This is the log from the device; it seems HL is never calling for the bulb to actually go on:

This is the log from HL:

Setting color or level should cause the bulb to turn on; a separate on() command isn't supposed to be required (and would be a driver bug if it is). Your logs show both CT and level being set properly. Does your device driver have an option to not overload setLevel() with the behavior that's supposed to be in presetLevel()?

I've followed Room Lighting's lead in not providing an affordance for devices that have a separate interpretation of the command, unless I've misunderstood @bravenel's comment there.

If I go to Devices, and open the details of the bulb, in the Device Information section, at the Type dropdown, "Advanced Zigbee RGBW Bulb" is selected. Is that the driver? (I'm getting a bit over my head here but trying to learn.)
The specific product is "SYLVANIA SMART+ ZigBee Full Color and Tunable White A19 LED Bulb"

Yes, that's a built-in driver, so I would expect it to have the currently-endorsed behavior based on @bravenel's comment I linked above (i.e. the bulb does support the separate command to preset the level without turning it on, so setLevel() with any non-zero value also turns it on). I don't see that it has a setting to revert back to the old behavior, so I'm not sure what to recommend. There's probably no harm in sending a separate on() command to those bulbs, but it's not supposed to be needed.

Turned it on manually tonight.
I think in an earlier version of HL the first time after a change it did not trigger but it did after that, so I figured I would wait until tomorrow night to see if it goes on automatically.

Separate from the app, can you see whether setLevel(100) turns the bulb on when it's off, or merely changes the level property without changing the switch state? Is your hub firmware up-to-date?

I've also got a change in a separate branch that hides the triggered settings (and doesn't default untriggered to Off) until you select sensors. I think you're right that this will produce a more intuitive UI. I'm not pushing it out just yet, because I want to double-check first how it behaves on older installs that get updated.

I updated the hub firmware yesterday, so I think that is fairly up to date.

In the Device "Commands" section there are two places to set the Level

• If I enter 100 in the "SetLevel" box, then click "Set Level" the bulb goes on, but it is an awful greenish color.
  • In the box for "Set Color Temperature" there are two fields - one for color temperature, and one for level. If I enter 100 on the Level line, then click "Set Color Temperature" the bulb goes on to a normal 2700 (the color temp I have selected).

For anyone following along at home, @calinatl is having some driver behavior I didn't expect, but a one-line change fixes it (and shouldn't break anyone else), so the change is in main on GitHub. I'm not pushing over HPM, because it's a no-op to anyone whose setup already works. But a repair would find it immediately, and it will be included the next time I do publish an update to HPM.

Went off this am as scheduled, went on this pm as scheduled, so all seems to be working as a result of that little code revision!

Thank you!

1 Like

First off, awesome app! Thank you for putting in the time for the code so everyone can enjoy!

Thanksgiving(USA) isn't included in the Holiday input so I created it myself, however it still wants to activate outside of the days set.

I set it to be Start on the fourth Monday November and end on the fourth Friday of November. I set my colors, and hit done and the lights come on. I have to delete the day to get them to go off.. I've attached a screenshot of the day config as well.

Thanksgiving is supposed to be in the US holiday import set, but it's a single day event. Did you have an import problem?

Regardless, your trouble comes from the fact that the fourth Monday might be before or after the fourth Thursday and happens to be after this year. Here's the logic the app will use:

• Determine (start date, end date) this year:
    • Start: Fourth Monday of November is November 27, 2023
    • End: Fourth Thursday of November is November 23, 2023
  • If End < Start, but the end date is still in the future, the event must have started last year and ends this year. Find start date in the previous year.
    • Start: Fourth Monday of November is November 28, 2022

At this point, the duration of the holiday is November 28, 2022 until November 23, 2023... which includes now.

What you probably want instead is to start a few days before the fourth Thursday of November, so you're not tied to whether the fourth Monday occurs earlier or later in the month. That would look like this:

1 Like

I didn't even think about the order in that regard! Thanks for that! I'll get it adjusted... I do believe it did import since you mentioned it was only a single day and I wanted it to be over a range instead.

Thanks again

All's been going smooth but I've got a wonky issue that I'm not certain if it's the app or something else.

I have two lights deck bulb 1, and deck bulb 2, and a motion sensor, as well a switch Deck Lights which just reflects the ilumination status.

A couple days ago these lights started coming on at sunset, white light but cannot figure out what it causing it.

All I have is the events page from the switch and bulbs.

From bulb

From switch

And the app setup:

The behavior seems consistent with the motion sensor state already being active at sunset and staying that way. Have you checked that it's returning to inactive and not stuck?

@mbishop, with the main holidays behind us now, I just wanted to reiterate how much we appreciate this app. Highest WAF around! Thank you again!!!

3 Likes

Funny you say that. I did some deeper digging, and the motion sensor actually fell off the mesh a week or so ago but has been showing inactive since then.

Whatever it is this new sunset thing started on the 16th. I've got the motion sensor back on the network and responding, we'll see if it happens again tonight.