[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

Someone recently mentioned to me that Android Auto is now allowing IoT apps to be on Android Auto

Seems like a great fit for HD+ and I'm reading up on what it takes to make an app Android Auto compatible.

However, the first thing I noticed is an Android Auto app must support a minimum SDK of 23 (Android 6.0). Currently, HD+ supports down to SDK 16 (Android 4.3) so that's going to prevent some users of older devices from using the app. It looks like ~4% of HD+ users run on an OS lower than 6.0

So, I'm not sure what to do here.. I could just raise the min SDK to 6.0.. that would still cover the vast majority of devices out there. Older devices would still be able to get the last version that supported but I'm not sure they'd be able to get updates. Or, I could try to publish another version of the app which supported Android Auto.. but, it'd be harder to maintain 2 different apps.

2 Likes

I would say raise the min SDK to 6.0.
Having this app on Android Auto would be amazing

2 Likes

I'd like to chime in on this - i'm a firm believer of pulling people kicking and screaming into the future. Security has been the talk of the town for the last 18 months due to Russia/China hackers etc. M$, Google and Apple have all enforced TFA and forms of encryption.
Move forward. there will always be those behind. If they'er doing Home automation in the first place, they are no doubt aware that it is an evolving target. let them adapt to you. You have the best toy to play with, keep it going forward!
Shu

3 Likes

@jpage4500 what's the best process when you change hubs? I had a warranty replacement, local works fine just the cloud.

Well I'll do neither but I am one of those rev-locked at 4.4 by the only tablet I own, a Galaxy Tab 4 that I inherited. It's useless to me for anything other than HD+ and I really don't want to purchase a replacement as it does the job fabulously on my living room wall.

I haven't used any of the new features of HD+ for over a year so I'll be most happy to stay on an older version.

Thanks again, Joe, for an outstanding app!

Android Auto sounds great, would love to kick Alexa out of my car.

Thank you continued support, brilliant app.

Unfortunately as I write this 24/4 @ 6:35 my click tile has froze see below with log.

It looks like you're running version 1.0.1917. The latest version is 1.0.1956

Are you using the Google Play version? If so, are you subscribed to the beta?

When I started this project I had 2 really old tablets.. 1 was a remote control that came with a Vizio TV I owned and another was a Wink Relay. Both of these devices were just too old & slow that I got some newer Fire Tablets and haven't looked back. But, I've always wanted to keep the app compatible as long as I could.

Google Play keeps pushing apps to raise that minimum level in order to submit updates. Same goes for open source libraries I use.. there's a few that I can't update because they require a higher min SDK. So, maybe it's time.

I'm not opposed to creating a 'lite' version of the app though which wouldn't include some of the things that wall-mounted tablets don't really care about (Geofencing, NFC, Android Auto, etc)

1 Like

FWIW - I just pushed 1.0.1956 to production.. it may take a few hours to show up though. I'll do the same for Amazon App Store as well

I've been using HD+ and following since you started this app and I commend you for the level of effort and attention you put into it. I seem to recall a few Relay users in the thread, and for them it might be a disappointment, but I also gave up my relays - primarily for reliability issues. At some point you have to decide to cut bait or fish.

4 Likes

Would you also consider not raising the min SDK for a "lite" version? Selfishly, I have a 6th gen Fire HD 8 running Fire OS 5.7 in a custom wall mount that I'd like to continue using. It will be due for an upgrade at some point but for now, it works fine with your app.

I view your app's compatibility with older devices as a key feature. It gives them a purpose whereas they might be otherwise useless.

I'm also interested to see what you come up with for Android Auto though since I use the app on my phone as well.

Of course - I have tried to keep the min version as low as I possibly can without sacrificing too many new features.

In most cases, I can simply put a check in the app to only support feature X if the OS supports it. 1 example is geofencing - which uses some extra features such as Activity Detection (ie: driving, walking, etc) if the OS supports it. Another example is Kiosk Mode which only work OS21+.

Technically I can still do this for android auto code.. the key is if Google Play will approve an app that supports the older OS.. from their documentation it doesn't seem like it but when I get to that point I can give it a shot and see.

As for Android Auto, here's what I've got so far.. I'm only allowed to use a very simplified UI so there's not a ton of options.

I think the main screen makes the most sense as a grid (vs list)

They do offer a 'tabbed' screen which I can add too (just need to figure out what the 'tabs' are). Only 4 tabs can be displayed.

Clicking on a device can either toggle it's state (on/off, open/closed, etc) or bring up a simple prompt. To avoid accidentally clicking I'm showing the prompt with an option to send either command:

Here's some other notes:

• I'm also going to need some way to let users pick which devices to display and order them.
  • I noticed that I can't (easily) use custom device images. I'll keep looking at that one though..
  • There's likely no way to display several device types including HTML.. there's a very limited set of things that can be displayed (ie: text + small icon) pretty much anywhere.
  • There's some documents here and here

Let me know if you've got any requests or questions!

I had played around with Smartthings when it launched on Android Auto. At that time I still had a few things mirrored into Smarthings from Hubitat using Hub Connect just so I could check basic security related things with AA. Not anymore of course since Smartthings shut down groovy IDE. It was limited by the same set of rules that it is now from the looks of it. Understanding those limitations, I'll take what I can get.

Just wanted to post a quick note here....
I REALLY LIKE this wonderful app!!!
SUPER useful and SUPER friendly to use!
I went out and bought 5 Fire HD10 tablets mainly for using this app in my home, and installed it on my Sammy tab in my car (which does not have mobile, only wifi, but that is fine for me).

The support and involvement that Joe has in his app is OUTSTANDING!!!
He answers questions, tries to accommodate requests in a timely manner, doesn't get nasty or demeaning to any of the users.
What they NEED to realize that he is doing this FOR FREE!!!! and I encourage people to throw him a little something if they can, just to help out.

Thank You Joe for your fantastic app and outstanding support!

8 Likes

Loving the app, great work Joe. My OCD is having a field day messing with my dashboard layouts!
Not sure if I'm overlooking a setting or this has been requested before but is there any chance that the tile names can have centred wrap text to fit the tile size instead of ...?

I'm noticing an issue with tile background colors not updating in sync with device/folder on/off events since version .1956. Device turns off, but color selected for "on" remains and vice versa. As soon as you interact with dashboard, it updates.

The only way i found to restore the backup correctly was to edit the file backup i had put on the hub. Everything else i tried messed up my dashboard.

Quick update on Android Auto support

Here's the car-side UI:

Here's the phone UI for configuring the auto side:

• Android Auto option only shows up if you've connected the app to an Android Auto device at one point. I can remove that but figured anyone w/out the car part wouldn't be interested in this option
  • You can add or remove devices using the "+" button.
  • You can also re-arrange devices by touching and dragging the little icon on the right side

Here's some other notes:

• I'm only supporting (showing) devices that I can display in some way with the very limited options that I have. Generally speaking any kind of switch or sensor.
  • By default I'm showing all switches and sensor-type devices but you can configure it using the phone app
  • I don't handle every possible device type just yet. I started with the simple ones (lights, switches, valves, locks and similar)
  • I'll try to handle any other useful device type one by one.. for example, HSM lets you 'arm' or 'disarm'; The thermostat device type lets you send UP/DOWN commands
  • It'll continue to evolve.. my wife's car has Android Auto support but I don't so I won't be using it that often.. so feel free to give feedback or suggestions!
  • In order to use an app with Android Auto you must be using the Google Play version of the app. This is something built-into Android Auto
  • The tabbed UI I mentioned in my last post isn't actually available on any cars yet.. I can't even test with it. But, I'll be ready to add it when it is.

Last note - I will try to test this for a little while before pushing it to the Google Play Beta channel. In the meantime, there is an internal test track on Google Play. If you have a car with Android Auto support and want to test - send me a DM with your email address and I'll add you to the list.

3 Likes

I see this too.. will get it fixed