[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

In Android Auto the HSM icon is always red like it's armed, never green.

If you do decide to implement this, can it be made optional?

Most of my use cases for buttons within HD+ function like a remote control. I know the command executed when the volume or channel changes or when a ceiling fan speed changes so the 'push' would be a nuisance.

1 Like

I'll check - thanks!

Sure, I'll just show the little white asterisk to start and skip the "push" for now..

I keep looking at this and thinking about setting it up, but how taxing is it on the hub? I've always read that extensive use of maker API is pretty rough on hub resources.

HD+ doesn't poll the MakerAPI as long as you're connected locally (same network). It requests all devices when the app starts up but after that relies on push messages sent from a separate websocket called /eventstream

If you're in cloud mode (not on same network as your Hub) HD+ does poll MakerAPI every few seconds (the same time that the native dashboard does) so that can be taxing if you keep the app open forever (ie: wall tablet). You can change the polling rate though to be much slower if you'd like.

Ideally though if you have an always on tablet you'd want to be connected on the same network as the Hub

I opened a thread to allow access to this /eventstream from the cloud.. I think this would be a BIG win for any app that uses MakerAPI from a resources standpoint.. both on the Hub and on the device/app. Feel free to comment here and maybe enough attention will help: Access /eventstream from cloud? Or, alternative ways for hub to 'push' updates to a mobile device

1 Like

That settles that, I was mostly thinking about the always on tablet approach and thinking every device update would have to be polled. I wasn't aware the eventstream was a thing!

It's not really documented AFAIK.. it wasn't when I started HD+ anyway. But, it's exactly what any client-side app really needs to round out MakerAPI. MakerAPI does let you set a 'webhook' which can be used for 3rd party server based solutions like SharpTools. When changes are made to a device, the webhook is called. But, a mobile device can't use this and instead needs something like push notification (aka: GCM/FCM) or a websocket solution which the client can connect to and only gets notified when any changes are made.

2 Likes

Android Auto port is awesome!!
I have waited some time for a solution like this to come along. Thanks so much for making it happen!

Here are some notes....

1. Is there any way to remove items from showing? I know I can sort all of the less used devices to the end, but there must be a way to shorten the list and only include certain items
  2. Is there any way to group items into folders? Or rooms?

Again, this is great!

1 Like

Yep, it's not super obvious but use the add button (red icon) and you can de-select all/any devices you want to remove from the list

Is there any way to group items into folders? Or rooms?

Google has this 'tabbed' UI which I'm actually using but only if your car supports version 6 (which I subsequently learned is still in 'alpha' so it's probably not supported by any cars yet..)

I had a whole tabbed UI setup in HD+ where you could change the tab names and icons too.. but removed it when I realized it wouldn't be used by any cars today. I'll re-add it if/when it's supported.

I'm not sure how you can tell which version API your car supports.. I do log it in the app though

Does this support the new coolwalk interface recently released for android auto?

This is a great dashboard! Thank you so much for developing it. I finally was able to get rid of my Samsung SmartThings with the Android auto addition. And the geolocation really is very consistent and works accurately. This is as really been a great important tool for habitat. Great work, excellent job, and thank you.

This is the first I'm reading about coolwalk. Is it just a matter of updating the phone or do you have to update something in the car too? From what I can see I have to get into the beta version of the AA app.

Anyway, if there's something I can or need to do to support it - I will try!

1 Like

From what i understand the apps need to be updated to support the new interface. I do not know what exactly is required. Coolwalk has mostly rolled out to the public. Im not in the beta and it shows up in my car.

version 1.0.1984 (beta)

• fix some android auto bugs
  • more visual feedback when clicking on a button
  • android auto: use correct HSM icon

Mostly minor changes for Android Auto -- some crashes that I've seen reported. I still haven't tested this in an actual car yet so feel free to pass along any thoughts/ideas. I'll look more into crosswalk if there's something I can do there.

The other change is showing a little asterisk when any commands are sent after touching a button (push/hold/double-tap).. it should go away after a few seconds. Hopefully that'll help a bit.

Quick question... is it worth starting a new Hubitat thread just for HD+ Android Auto support? I keep forgetting how large this thread is and while it's great for me (1 place to look) I imagine it's pretty crappy finding stuff for anyone else.

Seems like Android Auto support is something that only a handful of users are interested in so maybe it's worth it's own place...

Unless I hear otherwise why this isn't a good idea I'll just create a new thread and link it here

6 Likes

Here's a dedicated Android Auto thread for HD+ -- no worries if you post here too but I might try to reply in the other thread just to have 1 place to reference things.

2 Likes

Has anyone got Reolink devices to work with the live stream of the app?

i've got two E1 Pros running. What model do you have and what is the problem?

Reolink door camera and I just keep getting a Reconnecting in 5 seconds.