[RELEASE] HD+ - Android Dashboard

They don't know what car you are driving, if you are even driving the car (e.g. are you in a ride share), or whether you even provided them your real name when you signed up. Insurance is highly regulated, I seriously doubt if that would be legal, and it would be too big to hide.

2 Likes

How often does the Lock tile poll for updates, when someone unlocks or locks manually?

The app doesn't poll when you're on the same network as the Hub. The hub will push updates out to the app when they happen.

If you're using the app in cloud mode (outside your network), it does poll every 30 seconds while you're using it. There are ways to turn this into a push system vs polling but it would require some work to send push notifications from the hub to the app

1 Like

FWIW - I found this.. I'm just on the free plan so not sure I would need this enabled anyway.

It's on my TODO list. I haven't spent much time thinking about it but I will think though how this could work

version 1.0.801 (beta)

• login screen will now auto detect hub - no IP address needed
  • add support for Life360 HE app
  • always allow switching device type back to original
  • improvements to image loading and cropping

There's 2 big changes in this release

1. the login screen will now auto discover your Hub and login.. nothing to enter!

https://youtu.be/4LiPCerOAP8

Behind the scenes this is using UPnP to discover the hub on your network. If you have multiple hubs or the hub isn't found you can still manually enter your device IP (and other details). But, I hope this will make the app even easier for someone to get running.

1. added Life360 support
  • This depends on the Life360 with States HE app being installed on your hub and adding the device(s) in MakerAPI
    image - -
  • Tile size is flexible - from 1x1 to 2x2. The wide tiles will include a link to open the Life360 app on the device and a link to open Google Maps with the location
  • Clicking on the tile opens up a full screen map; I can add more user details (driving, speed) to this full screen version if it's desired
  • There's also 2 options if you edit this tile: zoom level and google API Key. I'm using a free google API key to get these google maps but it's limited to 2500 requests/day. Assuming that number is reached you can use your own free google maps API key. It's a pain to setup but I added the option just in case...

This is fixed now in the UI

1 Like

This is only expected to work if the tablet and HE are on the same subnet, right? It's my understanding that SSDP is typically not routed.

I don't get a map on mine (everything else appears to be working correctly), I get a giant Life360 logo. So I created my own Google API and applied it, that didn't help. Anything else I need to do?

I just tested it on my device and it's showing. Can you long-press on that tile and hit details? look for "latitude" and "longitude" attributes. The map should show as long as those 2 fields exist.

that makes sense.. I only have a single subnet on my network though so I can't confirm. I have heard that some routers disable UPnP and maybe it can also be disabled on HE as well. I figured it'd work for most users but I made sure to keep the manual entry to skip the auto discovery

@jpage4500, Yep, lat / long both show up. They also transfer to the google map app when I click on it.

hmm.. I'm not sure. Can you send me the logs? Maybe there's an error in there. I also just have a single user in Life360 so maybe something's different about the other users

Done. This is from my Samsung S10+, But same issue on my Android car stereo.

I just updated my tablet and there's no map there either. The odd thing is - I installed the app directly and the map worked.. that's the same apk file which is uploaded to Google Play. Anyway, I'll figure it out!

Something happened in recent update. The text on wide tile thermostat got tiny

HE needs to start sending you a % of their profits... Beautiful work.

RE: life360 map

Well, this one's confusing.. essentially the google maps API key which I'm using isn't being used. But, it worked on the direct apk download which is the same apk Google Play uses. I am pushing another build now and I'll check again when it's available there

lol.. I don't know any of the HE team but if it's anything like Wink (where I worked previously) they're not making big $$ on just the sale of HE hardware. Wink's business model was basically sell a $200 hub and support it forever for free and that didn't last for too long. However, Wink had HUGE cloud storage costs and a lot of employees so I'm not saying the 2 can really be compared.. I'm just glad Hubitat is local (mostly) and has great community support!

3 Likes

I also noticed something like that while testing something else.. now I can't reproduce it. I'll keep an eye out for it though. If you see how to reproduce please let me know too

True, not an industry in which you get rich (unless and until the major corporation buyout). But I was thinking the extra fifty cents a month you'd get would help support your slurpee habit. :wink: