[RELEASE] Google SDM API - Nest integration

Is it normal after each event in the logs to get this:
app:4832020-10-07 18:45:00.573 errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: null (postEvents)

Seen that, thanks. I actually almost need two motion sensors...one that is activated by "person" And one that stays active with "sound" "motion" and "person"
I've set up a separate virtual sensor that activates when lastEventType =Person.

I'm sure it can be done -- the rawImg attribute for the device is the base64-encoded binary for the image, while the image attribute is an html string, with an tag pointing to a URL provided by the App to render the image data back as a JPEG.

You can only have "1 motion" but I've did it has a 4 buttons. So you can trigger on a "button" press for 4 different unique events.

Motion works for my in my RM rules since you cannot check a button, you can only trigger on it (rule was complex allowing manually/automatic light control).

Those functions are for the video camera capability. In the driver, in the first couple lines of code, you can comment it out:
//capability 'VideoCamera'

Then those un-used buttons will go missing. ImageCapture gets the screenshots, so that needs to remain, which you get the "Take" button (IE take a picture). It doesn't do anything, but "comes along for the ride" when you enable it.

1 Like

When I looked at the API, I didn't see that the API supported turning a camera ON or OFF. But maybe I missed it? So, not sure this will be possible even once the integration is done. I would love to be mistaken though! Maybe @dkilgore90 has better insight into this.

Thanks- Apparently, it's not currently supported in the API, which is unfortunate... I'd love to be able to use my own "presence" and create my own rules when to turn on and off certain cameras (and not rely on Google for that functionality.)

Yeah, same here. I use some cameras as baby monitors, and want to turn a camera on/off depending on whether the noise maker is on (to reduce irrelevant notifications). I might be able to just plug the camera into a smart plug and turn the camera on/off that way, but I haven't tried that yet to see how well that works (more involved with reconnecting to wifi, etc every time)

1 Like

Looks like my pub/sub isn’t working correctly, the thermostat doesn’t update in hubitat when I make a change in the nest app. I tried the debug buttons to delete the event subscription, wait a couple minutes and then clicked the subscribe to events button but the thermostat is still not updating. Where should I look next?

You could do that with a customization to the driver. I tweaked the driver and app to allow me to control which events trigger the motion trigger as well as the snapshot sources. ON/OFF could be used to disable/enable those via RM.

Is there a way to turn off the "debug" info showing up in my logs for the cameras and thermostats?

1 Like

How would that work in parallel with the native Nest mobile app, though? Would it be that you always keep the camera ON in the native Nest mobile app, but select to never receive notifications from the native Nest mobile app? And then customize which notifications Hubitat sends you? That works fine, I guess, but it means I won't be able to simply tap a notification to open up the camera view - I'll have to dismiss the hubitat notification on my phone and then open up the Nest mobile app. Right?

Basically that is what you would have to do if you wanted to mask the Nest notifications.

For me, those run in parallel as the Hubitat ones. I like the Nest ones since Google pushes those snapshots to my WearOS phone screen. This really depends on what your use case is.

From the Google API side, only the image snapshot or live URL have an ingoing command. All we get to see from the Hubitat side is notifications.

I think the google documentation says you should run a device list as a trigger to start events. This is what the Discover button does on the app page, so you could try hitting that. Otherwise DM me your logs (or post here) and I'll take a look.

Note there were a couple bugs impacting the event flow, which have now been fixed. Make sure you're running the latest app code in github (v0.2.3)

@lpakula has a toggle for debug logs in his(?) PR - I haven't had time to go through it all yet. A
Logging cleanup, and consistency is on my to-do list

Does this integration support Nest speakers?

No api for those yet. Might be possible to do something using the native Chromecast integration?

1 Like

What kind of response times are you all seeing for your camera motion detection? I didn't expect it to be fast like a zigbee or z wave motion sensor but mine seem very slow, like 5 seconds or so.
Is this normal?

I need to do more testing too, It might just be my Dropcam that is slow

What did you do to fix this? I'm encountering the same error and have tried a few times to start from scratch on setup with no success.

The update that updated the method of authentication fixed it for me. I didn't get it working till the update a day or two after that particular post. Are you having issues?