[RELEASE] Google SDM API - Nest integration

And the crowd chants....PR PR PR PR PR PR ...

3 Likes

These driver updates are awesome.

I have a google home hub, I expected it to show up as a display but its not there after discovering devices.

Looks like the only supported Display (so far) is the Google Nest Hub Max

https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access/api/display

This integration rocks!

Would it be hard to implement a CameraPerson trait in the Camera driver? I would like to use the motion active event to trigger certain rules, but I have motion triggered quite often from a bug flying around my doorbell or the wind blowing the leaves around one of my wife's plants.

There is an event that fires if the camera detects a person if I am reading the Camera trait properly in the Google docs.

If I could trigger my rules when it detects a person rather than motion, that would be awesome!

2 Likes

bummer thanks for checking.

yes, the events are distinguished from one another in the API. There are a few potential approaches to this:

• @lpakula's event "filter" preferences
  • split out the lastEventTime into lastPersonTime, lastMotionTime, etc (or something along those lines, with an individual attribute for each event type)
  • another attribute for lastEventType - which would provide a string enum Chime, Person, Motion, Sound -- based on the events received. Rules could then match to this string?

I actually implemented option 3 in my local code earlier tonight.

lastEventType attribute may work.... I am not seeing that in the driver though. I see after re-reading your post, you have it implemented in your local code so that implementation has not been pushed yet??

Actually I see the post from @lpakula. His implementation looks promising as well. Hopefully he will submit a PR

I bet it will eventually be added. Fingers crossed as I have two Home Hubs and 4 Nest Protects that I hope get some love :slight_smile:

I am missing something on the camera images, how should that tile be configured in the dashboard?

Also, maybe just exposing the RTSP stream would give people the opportunity to offload processing? I know there is an rtsp to mjpeg docker I would try.

Would it be possible to integrate Nest smoke alarms with this?

1 Like

@mraz.camren, Yes- it does exactly that.

1 Like

Pick A Device: select the camera you want to display
Pick a template: select Attribute
Options: Pick an Attribute: select image

Note this doesn't properly update dynamically in the dashboard when the image is updated by a new event (fix coming for this).

Yes, I can have the app generate and refresh the stream and publish the url as an attribute...

the smoke alarms do not yet have an api exposed -- fingers crossed, I have a couple that I would love to re-integrate (had the Works with Nest integration set up until I migrated my account to develop on the new API)

2 Likes

Do you think it is likely that the smoke alarms API will be exposed? Or will Google lock it down

Image isn't an option. I have HSM, Mode, Last Updated, imgwidth, imgheight and Last Updated.

Yep- I'm also seeing this on at least 2 cameras.

Hmmm... perhaps an image has not yet been downloaded for that camera, to populate the attribute -- can you try walking past it? LMK if that works -- and I can look at plugging in a default attribute value on device init, so that it is available to the dashboard.

That worked for me!

I have image in my camera:

Maybe go into the device details and refresh it. I had to do that to populate some of the states.

Not showing image for me, refreshed and had wife go dance around in front of of the doorbell cam and the front yard cam.