[RELEASE] Google SDM API - Nest integration

I noticed that and as I was setting up a secondary integration for my family cabin, they (Google) even showed a picture of a Protect on the Create a Project page.

I heard they are working to include Nest Protect with the new Google Home ecosystem soon and I was assuming that meant adding them to the Smart Device API too. Here's to hoping

3 Likes

@dkilgore90 ,
Noticed my nest thermostat wasn't working today. Took a look at the logs and I see this when clicking done within the SDM API app. Everything has been working fine up until this point.

Tried to go through the Auth link again and no change.

Hmm, seems your event subscription (for Google to push to Hubitat) got lost somehow... the auth link should have recreated it, though. Can you try the debug link to recreate it, and post. The resulting logs?

Can you be more specific about "not working"? Commands not being accepted by the device, or just Hubitat not updating state locally? The event subscription would impact the latter, but not the actual command execution.

1 Like

Fixed. Somehow in the Device Access Console the Pub/Sub topic was disabled. I haven't been to this screen in a long time, so I have no idea why it was set this way! Enabled it and everything seems to be working again. Weird.

Thanks

2 Likes

First off, this is a fantastic app/driver! Thank you!

I'm struggling to get this to turn on/off my fan. Can anyone please help or offer advice/suggestions? I want to be able to turn on the fan (not cooling, just the fan) using the driver. I can turn on the fan using the Nest app, and this driver can see that I've turned on the fan. But nothing I click on seems to turn the fan on.

Here's what the device page looks like when the AC is set to 'Cool' and the current temp is cooler than the set temp:

Here's what I see when I manually turn on the fan in the Nest app: (Note the changed 'thermostatOperatingState' variable to 'fan only' and 'ThermostatFanMode' changes from 'Auto' to 'on')

I don't see any errors or anything obvious in the logs, but no matter what button I hit on the device page (Fan Auto, Fan Circulate, Fan On, Set Thermostat Fan Mode to On, etc), I can't get the Nest to turn on the fan, like I can in the Nest App, even though the driver is clearly communicating through the API and receiving info when the fan is turned on via the Nest App. Does anyone have any advice please?

Note: making other changes like turning the mode off, or to cool, or setting the temperature, result in nearly instant changes in the Nest App, so everything else is working. I'd really like to get the fan working if at all possible.

Thank you!

Unfortunately it seems there are still some problems on Google's side from the earlier problems that also affected the HeatCool/auto thermostat mode - while the setpoint issues seem to have resolved, the fan mode problem persists. We are at Google's mercy here - the App is sending the proper API command and receives a "success" response, but something within Google is preventing it from being passed all the way to the device.

2 Likes

also seem to be having issues with my google nest doorbell battery. it stopped reporting on the 1st

my nest hello is reporting though?

Hmm - first thoughts would be to double-check the permissions via the Auth link, maybe something got scrambled there. Also check your notification settings for that device in the Google Home app, as others have reported a correlation between those settings and what events get pushed via the API.

Any errors or warnings in the App or Device logs in Hubitat?

Nothing it's as if I just don't exist.

However if I re Auth it's shown there as a device I'm given permission for.

Hello!

I'm extremely excited about this integration! I am really hoping this will help me ditch my homebridge. I'm running into a bit of trouble though. I've got the integration working and I'm able to see my items in Hubitat, but where I'm struggling is when I enable the Homekit options the cameras only come in as a motion sensor and not a camera. Am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Tony! I don't personally use homekit (or homebridge), but as far as this integration goes, it is mainly motion, person (presence) and sound detection events from cameras. The API does support an interface for accessing the live stream, but Hubitat has no use cases or built in attributes for it. I haven't done any integration work on WebRtc streams for the newer devices.l, though for the first cameras I can pull the RTSP stream links.

Hi, anyone who have this integration set up to use nest thermostat, please confirm if the thermostat attributes and functions are currently reporting and working as expected?

I was planning to set this up today, but I have read that the integration seems to be having issues. Is that the case? Is anyone using this integration to control nest thermostats on a frequent basis.

Thanks for your feedback!

Yup. Works well for me. I've had it running for about 8 months and its solid.

Yes sir, been using it for well over a year, works like a charm. I did struggle a bit with the initial setup but once I got it squared away it’s been solid.

There does seem to be a lingering issue on Google's side with the "set thermostat fan mode" action, I believe it is limited to Gen3 Learning T-stats (newer google-branded models work fine) - when this App sends the command to Google, it returns a success response code, but the change is not applied. All other commands are working as expected, and all updates/events are pushed and processed.

New versions of existing App/Drivers released, including a new driver -- sdm-api-zoneChild.groovy. This enables support for the Google-branded camera/display/doorbell devices to track events on individual zones defined in Google Home.

In order to enable this, a new preferences option is available on the existing Device -- and a command allows you to pre-create the child Devices for zones (name must match exactly to what is defined on Google Home). If enabled and child devices are not pre-created (or does not match), the zone device will be created on-demand when an event is received.

3 Likes

I just set this up for my Nest Thermostats. They're about 5 years old, so not the newest ones. I've got everything talking, but I am unable to set the temperatures on my devices correctly. When I enter something in the Hubitat App, the Nest just kinda does its own thing.

For example, Through the web interface I set the temperature to cool to 74 and heat to 68. A few moments later, the Nest decided that meant it should change the values to cool to 64 and heat to 61.

Also, somehow the Nest has gotten into cool-only mode rather than heat and cool mode, and I can't figure out how to swap it back.

You're gonna need to make sure to disable your Nest schedule and learning capabilities. You can't have one device with two brains. Obviously you can use the Nest app to make changes on the fly, but if you're going to automate it with Hubitat make sure Nest itself isn't capable of doing anything without user input first.

This is a great addition to the functionality - thank you!

I tried the update just now through Hubitat Package Manager and got this error...

How would I disable or stop devices from using it while I go through the update process?