[Release] Google Home Assistant Relay Driver (v1 and v2)- text to speech on Google Home devices

You shouldn't need to install drivers for GAR on Hubitat if you're simply making the http calls within webCoRE.

However, as a quick test, you could install the Hubitat driver, create a virtual device using that driver, and try sending a notification to your Google device just to see if that works. If it does, you know that the problem may be within the webCoRE piston. If it does not work, then there is some work to do still...

Before I give it a try.. am I right that piston does not need to be changed to different form or something?

This has been working solid in ST side and I believe that it should work in hubitat side too.

I do not use webCoRE, and thus I really cannot assist.

webCoRE pistons execute pretty much the same way on HE as the did on ST - only difference is that they are local and therefore somewhat quicker.

Are you kidding? I came here looking for this specifically. I would like config help for certain. Once I have this setup and running, I will writeup a howto on a QNAP NAS device running Container Station!

Also, @ogiewon It would be awesome (if this works right) to put it in the main post because it would make implementation SO SO much easier than needing a Rasp Pie.

If you can provide detailed instructions in a GitHub repo, I will happily add a link to them in the first post.

In fact, if you or anyone would like to take over this integration, I would be happy to pass this baton to whomever would like it. I have been focused on Amazon Alexa as my home's primary voice assistant for a few years now, and I really don't have time, nor the interest, to maintain this integration any longer.

Ugh. Worst update ever lol. I got the docker server running without issue, but it's the latest version of the google assistant relay so the driver commands get there, but don't get processed. :frowning: I'm not a programmer at all. I'll wait and see if anyone else picks this torch up. Thanks for the response!

This may be a Google issue. I've been having trouble controlling my Delta faucet from Alexa recently. I found the Alexa skill didn't work right, but Google did, so I've been triggering Alexa routines to turn on a virtual switch, which in turn would send the proper voice command to Google Assistant Relay.

Now this isn't working for the faucet, which doesn't show up in Google Home as a device, but devices that do show up in Google Home are still controllable with Google Assistant Relay. However, if I vocalize the same command for Delta Faucet to my Google Home Hub, it works.

[Edit]
The Alexa skill is now working perfect with my Delta Faucet. I guess they fixed the previous issues. So except for one thing (random bulb colors on an accent light), I don't need GAR for anything. The new custom actions in Alexa Routines has allowed me to setup the voice commands I want, and to allow our Google Home Hub to also be used by just reversing the previous effort. A virtual motion as switch turns on and that triggers the custom action in the Alexa routine when it thinks a motion sensor had been triggered. In a complimentary Google Assistant Routine, my trigger phrase turns on the same device, which looks like a switch to Google Assistant. I adjusted it so it turns off after 3 seconds.

Works perfect. Google is floundering in smart home and if that company's history with other devices shows us anything, it won't surprise me when they just give up on home automation and hand the crown over to Amazon.

Is there any advantages (and vice versa) of using this GAR release rather than Hubitat Chromecast integration? I just noticed that after Chromecast installation all Google Home devices are exposed to be used in WC pistons (speak command). Only big difference that I noticed was that integration does not broadcast so there is no "broadcast from blaablaa" it just tells message written in piston.

It definitely depends on your specific requirements. One that GAR allows is the passing of commands to Google Assistant, as if you'd spoken them aloud to a Google Home device. So, if you have a device that integrates with Google Home, but not with Hubitat, then GAR provides a mechanism to have Hubitat send commands to that device.

If all you want is Text to Speech, the built-in Chromecast Integration (beta) is simpler, and offers a different set of features.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense. Passing commands through to Google is cool thing but at the moment I do not have any google paired devices that needs to be controlled from Hubitat. I could test using Chromecast integration and see how does it work and sound. GAR is not going anywhere thouht and is still running in my 24/7 laptop if needed.

1 Like

The advantage GAR does have is if you are listening to music on the speaker it broadcasts the message and continues to play.
Using Chromecast replaces the stream.

1 Like

That's it. Advantage that I can't live without. Thanks for reminding because I totally forgot that it works like that with broadcasts.

1 Like

I'm trying to install the V3.2 (Release v3.2.0 · greghesp/assistant-relay · GitHub) on a rpi4 and am getting this error message... Thoughts? I've also gotten error messages about Port 3000 already being in use, but I literally haven't used this rpi4 for months and don't know what that could be about...

I have GAR V2. In the last one month this has happened three time. The config file on my Raspberry pi has lost my IP and port info. That section gets deleted (or somehow file overwrites) as a result the GAR stops working. This has worked solid for me on a continuous basis for more than a year until now. Any clues what could be happening?

Perhaps the SD card is going bad?

Could be. That's going to be some work to set up another! But why only that config file. All other files seem to be okay. As soon as I type the port and IP, things start working.

Longtime user of GAR V2 and V2 driver. Now trying to make GARV3.2 and V2 drivers work. all [CC] commands are being passed as broadcast. Using existing rules, which I knew worked with GAR V2 / Driver V2. Anyone encounter this?

Did I got this right.. me as a user do not have to worry about this?

" What do I need to know?

Starting October 3, 2022, we will block OOB requests to Google’s OAuth 2.0 authorization endpoint for existing clients. Apps using OOB in testing mode will not be affected. However, we strongly recommend you to migrate them to safer methods as these apps will be immediately blocked when switching to in production status.

Note: New OOB usage has already been disallowed since February 28, 2022.

Below are key dates for compliance

• September 5, 2022: A user-facing warning message may be displayed to non-compliant OAuth requests
  • October 3, 2022: The OOB flow is blocked for all clients and users will see the error page"
1 Like

@ogiewon could you remind me of what to do after deleting original home and google home devices from google home app and creating new home with home devices? I had to do that and now Assistant relay says there is no devices to use. I'm guessing I need to readd home and devices for assistant relay but do not know how to do it.