[Release] Google Home Assistant Relay Driver (v1 and v2)- text to speech on Google Home devices

Not sure if anyone is still into this, but I just installed Node.js v10+ on Pi3B+, then installed Google Assistant Relay 3.1.4, then installed @ogiewon V2 driver. and It works!

Some notes that were different from how installation was described above.

v10 of Node.js works with Google Assistant Relay v3+ So I just installed the latest version

DONT follow the earlier instructions on downloading source directly from github. FOLLOW the instructions on greghesp installation notes. all you have to do is download the current release, and install and run pm2 from the release folder

And for v3? Can it work with a virtual device? Or only by sending json http post?

I just installed it today, so that i could pass a command to a nestxyale lock that is proprietary.

virtual lock -> http post -> goggle assistant relay -> nest lock

I was looking to use v3 for TTS notifications. In v2 I managed to create a virtual device which is the google relay so I send my TTS to it but in v3 is possible?

I don’t see why not. But instead of virtual device I used generic device, and you have to have the v2 driver installed. Of course goes without saying to backup before you try it out in case it fails. That way you can revert to a working system

I had before v2 and it worked as I described but I have no idea how to do TTS notifications with with v3 with a virtual google relay device, I only managed TTS notifications when using v3 doing json http post..

I am confused... just add a virtual device to Hubitat using my v2 Assistant Relay Driver. Then, in its settings, point it at your new GARv3 server. You should be able to easily then use it for TTS, just the same as you were with the GARv2 server.

Edit - strike that!!! Thanks @codahq!

No, don't do that. I'm not sure how @PatrickD has it working if he has put "[port]/assistant" in his settings. Ogie's driver already appends "/assistant" to the end of the host:port because v2 already needed this.

This works just fine because...

"/assistant" is already added.

If you had to add it then you've messed something up with the GAR node server or modified the driver. GAR v2 and v3 are listening at http://[host][:port]/assistant and not http://[host][:port]/assistant/assistant.

However, you are correct that you should not install from source anymore. Just use Greg's release zips, unzip and then from inside the directory you unzipped type "npm i" and then "npm run start". The only time you need to bother pm2 directly is if you need to make changes to config, stop or upgrade GAR. Then you can pm2 kill (or if you have other things running on pm2 you can get the pid and do pm2 stop [pid]. For the most part you can upgrade in place by unzipping the new release into the existing directory and then re-running "npm i"

But again... do NOT add "/assistant" to the port. That just can't work unless there is some magical funky redirect going on.

1 Like

oops, yes sorry i'll go back and edit my previous post, works without having to include "/assistant"

sorry might have been covered in another threat or possibly earlier, but I'm trying to get the status of a nest lock, it appears i can ask for the status through google assistant relay, but i only get back a audio repsonse.

Do you know of any way to pass the status of a device (in my case a lock), to hubitat?

Apologize in advance as I am new to Raspberry Pi.

I managed to install assistant relay and got it running on my Pi. Can anyone give me instructions or point me at the right direction on how to get the service started automatically after reboot?

At the moment everything after a reboot, i open terminal and type
cd assistant-realy
npm start run

How do I have my pi run the above commands everytime on startup?

Hello.
I'm trying to re-install V2 of this.
In the instructions there is the following:

Unfortunately, there is no longer a "server" folder that is created by the git .
Does anybody (@ogiewon) know what to do?

Hi @ogiewon just wanted to say thank you for sharing this code!

I managed to setup assistant-relay using QNAP container station (similar to docker) using nikolaik/python-nodejs.

Now I can be notified whenever my kids wake up while I'm watching movie in the different room!

1 Like

I would follow the new instructions on the updated version and ignore the old instructions. Worked for me

I followed this method and all seems to work pretty well.

@bptworld You still using webcore even though HE has rule?. Why is that.

That post was from Jun 2018. I haven't used webcore in well over a year.

1 Like

In your opinion what do you guys prefer for those who have it. Sonos or google Relay?

What are you wanting to do? I don't use Google Assistant Relay for TTS, I use mine for controlling things that are Google Assistant compatible, but I cannot directly control them via the hub.

For TTS, I use Alexa, but the Sonos integration does sound really nice and works well. If I had a house full of Sonos, instead of a mixed bag of Echo, Google Home and Sonos, Sonos would be the way I would go for just TTS announcements. It does get more complicated than that in my home though.