[RELEASE] Event Engine - Automate your world with easy to use Cogs. Rev up complex automations with just a few clicks!

Hi! I am trying to install the bundle and when I do, I am receiving the following error which prevents installation:

"library not found on line 40: #include BPTWorld.bpt-normalStuff"

How can I resolve?

Thanks!

Hi,
You need to use Bundle Manager to download and install Event Engine. It will walk you through it.

Question in regards to Event Engine:
I have a contact sensor, and I want to check if it is open for a specific number of minutes.
That specific number of minutes is in a Hub Variable. (Global).
Can I do that with event engine?

Yes

Nope

Thanks @bptworld . Despite installing Bundle Manager, I still do not see how to install. Including screenshots. Appreciate your help.

This is all covered in post #2 in the Bundle Manager thread.

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks, Bryan. Wow -- you've done so much great work. Amazing!

2 Likes

Truer words are rarely spoke. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

New version...

3.8.1 - 08/06/22 - Adjustment to the flasher section

1 Like

I could use some help with a couple cogs, but I'll start with this one. It's simple, using a motion sensor on our back patio, between sunset and sunrise, turn on a switch connected to the string lights on the patio , then off after 7 minutes. I've had the working on and off for a few weeks, but recently, it just stopped and I couldn't figure out way so I deleted the rule and started over. but I'm now getting errors, Also, how would I be able to over ride this from a dashboard (I'm actually going to need this for a couple cogs).

Here is the cog as re-written:

And here is the error message I get after running the cog when saving (this is the only error generated in the logs):

Another one I could use some help with, is a set of can lights controlled with a zooz dimmer, are tied to a motion sensor. This one works fine except that if I can't sleep or just stay up late, I can adjust the brightness with he dashboard or the physical dimmer, but as soon as I move, they immediately dim back to 12%. Any suggestion how I could override that? For example set them to a higher brightness and have them stay there until they are turned off? Even if I set the higher brightness with the physical wall switch, as soon as I move, right back to 12%. Any suggestions?

Sorry, just haven't had time to take a look. Lot on my plate lately. :grinning:

1 Like

It seems like you might need a few cogs for this and perhaps a disable/enable switch tied to the motion cog.

Other thought is that your scenario sounds like it might be a good candidate for Room Lighting.

Leave the circled option deselected.

1 Like

@bptworld - can’t figure this one out. Getting these errors when I try to even open the “notification options.” The options screen even opens to an error screen that says to check the logs.

*not trying to have sound played through the device.

Under “push notifications” I selected my phone and iPad (using the “HE mobile device” driver). Erroring ever since so I can’t even get in there to deselect. Luckily cogs are easily re-made because I had to remove the instance completely.

Tried the same thing with push notifications again, same error.

New bundle...

3.8.3 - 08/29/22 - Minor changes

Looks like a whole bunch of experimental code was left in the last release. :hushed:

edit: if you downloaded this within the last 10 minutes, use search and download again. Made another quick adjustment. :grinning:

You are selecting the 'Run Cog when Saving' option? That would explain it (at least to me!). I put in a trap to catch the problem. You'll get a warning on save, but the cog should work fine after that.

I'll have to put on my thinking cap for this one...

I would think it should just be a simple override. If set to x, don't react to motion setting. One thing I have never understood, how is setting up a virtual switch different than (in this instance) setting the dimmer from the dashboard where you want? It seems to me like the dashboard setting should act as a form or virtual switch.

I have toyed with that, so far I havent had a whole lot of success. It seems to end up in the same place if Ican get it to work at all. However, I really have not had a chance to sit down and dig into it in depth .

Yes, I always have, is that not what I should have been doing? I thought it helped to set the cog to the current state so it would fire correctly the next time around.

Yeah, it’s a different paradigm from what @bptworld has shared with previous questions I’ve asked about EE.

I think this loosely applies to your question as well.

If you had an “if-then-else” conditional, it would be a bit too similar to RM’s logic, thus making EE a redundant app.

That said, I’m still trying to think of ways to use EE in my automations since I’m just now comfortable enough with RM. I’m sure it will just take some time for me to realize the potential.

@bptworld please correct me if I’m off-base here: I think the intent of EE is to simplify the automation process by intentionally limiting the complexity of each individual child app, creating smaller automations “cogs” which can then be intermingled with other cogs or apps from the developer to build the “engine.”

I just have no idea how to do that yet!!! :rofl:

2 Likes

Perfect!

2 Likes

Bryan:

Can't open any of my cogs...possibly due to hub beta FW 2.3.3...I believe you're in the beta program.

Reinstalled EE (insetalled over existing) and still can't open any cogs.

The cogs throw this error when I try to open one:

1 Like

That is weird!

3.8.4 - 09/03/22 - Fix for mystery 'contains' error

2 Likes