[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

@user1048
Welcome to the community and Hubitat. I have tried a lot of others and by far I like this platform the best.

You will need to setup a Server on app on Heroku and then this application will log into Amzon and Heroku at a high-level. Echo Speaks Documentation - Echo Speaks Documentation (tonesto7.github.io)
If you step through it, it will walk you through the process. This is a great application.

1 Like

Thank you, I did get this to work. A critical step I missed.. On the config server, copy the generated string "echo-speaks-#####" and ensure you copy this into the App name field on the create new app in heroku exactly.

3 Likes

Originally posted this in the beta topic.

Version 4.2.0.7 (and server 2.7.2)

I can't get the Speak command to work with the voice name parameter, it just uses the default voice.

If I wrap the text in a voice tag then it does use the voice I ask for.

Ah, looking at the device code, it seems that the awsPollyVoiceName parameter isn't used in the speak() method. :frowning:

Just so it's clear for those who come across this in the future, I started receiving wakeupServerResp Exception: java.lang.Exception: No response data exists for async request log errors the other day and the Heroku app error when trying to open the Amazon login configuration. I used the reset shown in the image below and followed the Server Configuration steps again to deploy a new server. This fixed the issue.

1 Like

check if your echo speaks server is up and ok.

You can reboot politely your HE hub, but I don't think that is the issue, but your echo speaks server is the issue.

I'm having an issue with my ES. I have multiple Actions setup. They are setup as "Speak (Parallel)". Every time I attempt to change one of them to an "Announcement Ignore DND" or any other Action Type, the Action fails to "speak".

Any ideas? Need more info, just ask!

Alan

My app is down again. I’ve reboot the hub. Any thoughts? Same thing that has happening last time I had to relaunch a new server. It would be disappointing if it turns out that I need to recreate a new server every 10 days.

app:1942022-06-15 14:37:41.958 errorEchoApp (v4.2.0.7) | wakeupServerResp Exception: java.lang.Exception: No response data exists for async request
app:1942022-06-15 14:37:41.952 errorEchoApp (v4.2.0.7) | wakeupServerResp | Stack Trace: java.lang.Exception: No response data exists for async request
  at hubitat.scheduling.AsyncResponse.getData(AsyncResponse.groovy:71)
  at user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_98.wakeupServerResp(user_app_tonesto7_Echo_Speaks_98.groovy:2226)
app:1942022-06-15 14:37:41.906 errorEchoApp (v4.2.0.7) | wakeupServerResp Server may be down / unreachable

When I click on this:

I get this:

Here’s what’s in my Heroku logs:

2022-06-15T18:40:16.300363+00:00 heroku[router]: at=error code=H10 desc="App crashed" method=GET path="/config" host=echo-speaks-we5sdnl46.herokuapp.com request_id=d2d000f9-36f4-4f0a-a3b1-4ccaa8f205ad fwd="172.225.132.184" dyno= connect= service= status=503 bytes= protocol=https

I don't think that should be necessary. I probably can count on one hand the number of times I have had to create a new server in 3 years of using Echo Speaks.

I am not sure what all those errors mean, but Alexa sometimes will throw dozens upon dozens of errors for a couple hours every once in a while (about every week or two?). I have found if you just wait, it will all fix itself. Is that not what is happening?

3 Likes

Only about 4 hours, so maybe I’ll try to be patient. I’m using error monitor so I just see this error popping up a couple times an hour, and I find it odd that Heroku is acknowledging the connection but saying that the “app crashed.”

Same, except only one finger. Once in three years.

2 Likes

The errors persisted so I set up the automatic server update process and did a manual update (step 14) of the server. This solved the problem for now without redeploying an entirely new server. If it goes out again and the manual update does the trick, I can live with that.

3 Likes

I need a little guidance on troubleshooting: I had v3 installed on my hub and had a power outage that messed up the memory so I had to start back over. Anyways, I got it re-installed v4 via package manager and when I go into Echo Speaks -> Experimental Functions -> Device Testing, the "speak" and "announcement" functions work perfectly.

When I create an action that includes "speak" - and toggle the "test action" button at the end, I get no response from the echo units. What could I be missing? I've even uninstalled the app totally and tried again. Any ideas? I tried the beta version as well and got the same result.

Forgive this question please if it's simply outside the realm of what your very intricate app is designed to do

Is it possible to use Echo Speaks to obtain the most recent alarm set by voice on an echo device?

For example, I tell my Echo Dot in the my bedroom "Alexa, set an alarm for 7:00AM." Is there any way Echo Speaks can capture that time for the alarm and save it as a variable that could be used in rule machine for Hubitat?

My use case is, let's say I set an alarm for 7AM. Alexa Speaks reads this and send sit to Hubitat as a variable. I then can set a rule in rule machine to start a set of actions 15 minutes before that time (Trigger is that the time is Alarm Time minus 15 minutes).

Hi I set this up for the first time today and although the hub show my Echo Dot paired correctly none of the in-app tests or the test rules I created could get any response out of the Dot at all?

Gents
i have the echo speak installed correctly. all my echo devices are online and I can hear any message i sent to any device. I am getting the following error in my logs every 30 mintues for all the devices except the Echo show 10.

the echo dots are gen 3
this is my ech speak UI data

Can someone help me? Thank you very much.

Has the location of the websocket driver changed? I"m trying to set up and that URL is giving a 404...

Thanks

Opens for me.

All the links are in the first post of this thread.

The websocket driver was eliminated recently. I think it had to do with some amazon changes that broke it beyond fixing easily.

For anyone just recently installing this, I had problems getting TTS recognized on my two Echo devices (received an error, in my logs, when I did the experimental section voice test). I uninstalled it last night and decided to give it another go today with the BETA: success. Echo Speaks works.

If anyone is having similar issues where TTS is not recognized, I will try to walk y'all through it and hopefully help a few people in getting this wonderful APP set up.

TBH, I have no idea if there is something in the Beta that made it work, or if I completed a step this time around that I didn't last night, or if the previous install was corrupted.

Side note: when signing into Alexa (I already have two factor auth enabled), and did NOT click the box that said "no OTP for this browser."

1 Like