[RELEASE] Echo Speaks V4

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Flightcontrol.dev may be an option. It says free for individuals. Heroku dx competitor

2 Likes

This sounds very interesting. It would be great if someone could post a step by step on how to configure the server at Flightcontrol!

1 Like

Family first for sure! Thank you for all you do for this community.

Thank you sir! In my case, I don't have anything critically using ES, so I just deleted and deleted the heroku app. Once the docker container is up and going, I'll recreate. =)

Take care, and happy holidays (soon)!

Thank you! The local server on raspberryPi is working perfectly.

I deleted my Heroku account and unsubscribed from all their emails to pay up!

Also deleted both our family Twitter accounts! Freedom from both platforms that are melting down!

2 Likes

Glad it worked for you. I have had it running on my Pi locally since I set it up with no issues.

1 Like

I re-read their payment agreement, and the $7 a month fee is the "max" they would charge if your app was running 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The actual charge is 1 penny per hour. Does this app count as continuously running? Or does it only run when the cookie needs updating? If the latter, then the total costs will be pennies a month, which to me means it isn't worth jumping through a lot of hoops to replace it. My guess is because it's a node app Heroku considers it as always running, looking for changes. Anyone know for sure? Here's the language we need to understand in their billing:

Heroku computes usage from wall-clock time, not CPU time. Any dynos scaled above 0 accrue usage, regardless of traffic or activity. Heroku prorates all costs to the second. You can scale down your dynos when they’re not in use.
For example, a Hobby dyno costs $7/month. Running 1 Hobby dyno costs roughly $0.01/hour. If you scaled your formation to 1 Hobby dyno starting on 2022-01-01 00:00:00 and scaled down to zero at 2022-01-01 02:00:00, it would cost you approximately $0.02 for those two hours.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

Sorry to ask instead of reading all posts regarding this subject, but since there are a lot of posts, it's difficult to identify a solid and reliable solution for a Docker installation of ES4.

As the final days of the Heroku saga, I'd like to ask our fellow users if a Docker image is running ok and where can I get a reference to a Docker image at Docker hub?

Thanks in advance!

These instructions worked for me:

1 Like

interesting, if it is worth that price I would continue since, I do not have rpi or time to do the whole process, I was looking forward to another method, before using an rpi, but if it is for that price, I prefer to pay

I've been of the "let's be patient, there's plenty of time" mindset. Now I guess I'm going to have to dive into moving the login service to my Pi4. Wheeee. Thanks for the write up. I'll do this today as the deadline is approaching F A S T.

1 Like

It is not that difficult to implement and I wish I had done this years before and reduced one more cloud platform dependency!

Curious if its possible to use a Raspberry Pi emulator and VirtualBox to host the alternate local server while we wait for a new stable version of Echo Speaks that no longer requires Heroku? I'm shocked to see how expensive Raspberry Pi devices cost these days. I already have a spare Windows 10 host running VirtualBox. Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

No need to limit to RPis, essentially anything that runs Linux natively or in a virtual machine should do the trick.

Take a look at the linked thread four posts above yours.

Edit: for simplicity’s sake, probably best to stick with a debian-based Linux distro though.

Awesome. Thank you @marktheknife

1 Like

I'm stuck in an endless loop trying to get Echo Speaks to recognize the login from a local Pi server that I set up. The question is in the anxiety thread. Any ideas? I'm going about half crazy.

@wiegout have you tried rebooting the Pi?

Yep. A few times

OK. So I must be missing something. I have rebooted the pi and the hub multiple times. I'm wondering if I am doing something out of order?

I just wiped out the server in the echo speaks configuration. Then I went to the login server on my pi and logged in to amazon successfully. The Echo Speaks config now shows my local server so I think that means the API callback worked. But the Echo Speaks app does not see the Amazon cookie I guess because it says that I'm not logged in. I've been around and around and of course now ES no longer works and I blew away the heroku account. So I have to get this working.

THis page here. Should it go away? Should I "Save Settings"? I see that lots of people got stuck getting a cookie but after a few tries "it magically works." Well, not for me so far.