[RELEASE] Echo Speaks v3 + Actions

Try using the builtin actions...

1 Like

Thatā€™s what works best and most predictably.

I have the same issue trying to start my truck with Uconnect. Uconnect skill works, but then it asks for the PIN AND a confirmation with an unnecessary and exceedingly long name for the vehicle to include year, make, model, color, etc. I'm surprised it doesn't list all the options too - so chatty. The dev on this should be flogged.

I just tested this with just routines in the alexa app. Alexa triggered the skill and took the pin to start my car all from button press.

So leaves me wondering again is there anyways to parse the last thing a echo device spoke through this api? I could get lots of info from car into hubitat this way.

I'm pretty sure we can make that work. I'm working on adding the latest performance tweaks to ES so once i'm done I can work on making this work

4 Likes

The problem is that this does not give me enough flexibility to actually trigger the voice notifications, so Iā€™m not sure I can make this work at all. Iā€™ll have to look into it when Iā€™m back home next week.

Hi, I'm trying to get an action set up to play a Spotify playlist. It works fine if I play it to a single Echo device, but it doesn't seem to work if I use a speaker group.

Should it work with speaker groups or is that not supported? Thanks!

I honestly havenā€™t tested that. I think it entirely depends on the devices in the group. In my experience I have nothing but trouble with the groups in general and avoid using them.

Thanks for the response! I have around ~10 Echo's (both Shows and Dots) around the house and use the speaker groups for listening to music everywhere, it usually works pretty well for streaming Spotify (via alexa or spotify directly). Also doing announcements to all of them using Echo Speaks works just fine, it's just the music that doesn't seem to play.

If you get a chance to see if there's an easy fix to make that work using an action of some kind, it would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

"Iā€™m able to stop having to always be in dev mode just to get around STā€™s shortcomings all the time." -tonesto7

I didn't realize that is what happened, but honestly that is exactly what did happen after the move to HE.

It would of been so appropriate to close the ST ES thread with that statement, but it was a great run and found a home to continue. Awesome.

3 Likes

Instead, in a bit of irony, they closed the thread just after @tonesto7 announced he's going to resume work on the ST "lite" version.

2 Likes

I think @tonesto7 does a truly amazing and selfless job, and my home automation wouldnā€™t be anywhere near as feature rich/cool if not for him, but I hope he doesnā€™t lose sight of whatā€™s really important; Hubitat :rofl:. Actually, family. I couldnā€™t help myself.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

I'm not going anywhere.... I'm already working on updates for ES v4 for HE so it's not much of a stretch to make a neutered version for ST.

My wife is out of town for the weekend so I was going to work on ES this weekend, but for some reason my allergies are on High today and my head feels like it's going to explode.

3 Likes

Better to be allergies than Rona.

1 Like

Would LOVE to see the ES lite..for my Dad....I've switched to Hubitat and absolutely love it but with me supporting him remotely....it would be simpler to manage...since all the Hubitat stuff has to be done locally (not that I couldnt use Teamviewer : ) He does miss Alexa telling him his fridge is open
And Ditto on the thanks for all you do supporting this community...its amazing!

Does your router have dns? If yes, set it up and you have full access remotely.

Hmm...could you elaborate a little more... maybe some high level steps for how I would be able to access my dads hub from another state.
Thanks !!

Tim

Could you elaborate? I'm not tracking what steps you took to get Alexa to take the PIN.

In the alexa app I setup two routines. One to send the command to start my car.

Then another to send the pin.

I just tested from inside the alexa app

First ran the actions for the first routine. When alexa responded and asked for the pin I ran the actions on the second routine. My car started right up.
I figured I could just keep an echo muted to do this.

I've not tested further than that as I am waiting to see how this gets integrated in echo speaks and whether there will be ability to "listen" to alexa responses in hubitay and take different actions.

Another nifty feature added to alexa routines.

https://www.aftvnews.com/alexa-routines-can-now-control-amazon-fire-tvs-to-automate-tv-power-content-and-apps/

AFAIK no there is not an easy way to do this elsewhere.

1 Like