[RELEASE] Device Activity Check - Get notifications for "inactive" devices

It actually seems they don't check in by themselves at all- at least not for the last 14 days.

I hooked a rule to reset the volume once a day. Good enough i guess!

Can you please change from a single notification with a list of inactive devices to one notification per inactive device?

iOS notifications are truncated without any way to read the entire text. Therefore, if more than two devices are inactive, I have to go to the Hubitat web UI and drill down into your Device Activity Check app to identify all devices which require attention.

Can't say I'll never do that in the future, but honestly I have no plans to do that now. One of my goals for writing the app this way was to get all my notifications in one (instead of, say, one for each different interval/method chosen). I'm even thinking of a way to combine multiple hubs into one in the future. You can get one notification per device now if you want by installing a separate instance of the app for each device, though personally that's part of what I was trying to avoid.

Further, if the app configuration you've chosen finds anything suspect, it pretty much necessitates going into the admin UI anyway to investigate. To make that easier, I suggest just bookmarking the report page (e.g., I have one that opens a few tabs for all my hubs).

2 Likes

@bertabcd1234 Can you confirm that you're an Android user and are not experiencing the truncating of Notifications:

attachment

Or am I doing something wrong?

I'm on Android, and some of my notifications get truncated. But that happens with all Apps if the msg is long enough - I assume it's an OS limitation. But I just go into the relevant App (in this case Hubitat) where I can see the whole message

1 Like

I use iOS and experience truncation only in previews. Long-pressing the notification (probably force-touch on medium-old devices, and...I don't know what on older ones) allows me to see the whole thing. That being said, my list usually contains at most a few devices (I don't know what would happen with extremely long text), and again, the admin UI is really a necessity for troubleshooting most of these. You can use the "View current report" page in the app to see more or less the same thing. It even has clickable links to the device pages. You can bookmark this particular page to make it easier to get to (this page even, not the app itself, which would also work).

What you see where probably depends on your OS, as mentioned above.

This is exactly my experience.

That solved my problem, thanks.

1 Like

In the Hubitat iOS app Notifications are even more truncated than at the iOS level and there doesn't appear to be a way to view the entire text (via the Hubitat app).

I just tap the message and I get a popup with the entire msg. Ive never noticed this being truncated, but perhaps I've never had a message long enough

Clicking on notifications does not produce a pop-up for me.

@bertabcd1234 Robert...
I also wanted to say thank you VERY much for your awesome work!
I also am super impressed with your troubleshooting & care of the zillion users out here.
Thanks very much, again!
Bill

3 Likes

Afternoon everyone.............
So @bertabcd1234 Robert - can a physical device exist in two different groups without conflict?
For example, can a door contact be in group 1, which checks last "activity", AND also be in group 2, which checks devices "battery" strength?
So in effect, I'd get two diff type of checks on the same device.
Thanks again!
Bill

Yes, there is no problem with that. (Though I did contemplate adding some sort of warning if the device is in two different groups that use the same detection method, since presumably only one would matter.)

Ahhha.... @bertabcd1234 Robert............
Man....... thanks again for your very valuable, talented expertise, in your (hee hee) "spare" time!
Now,.... just don't know how to email you a beer..........
Bill

thanks for this.. i need an additional parameter "how long to wait " before tring after a refresh

i have one extender aeon on the edge of my mesh in the basement that doesnt check in unless i do a refresh and the 1/2 sec timeout is not enough.. thanks

it tells me it is not responding every night and when i go look in the logs it has responded but at the exact time the report fires off.

actually the dealys do not seem to be working see the following.. it says it should delay by 1/2 sec for device plus 5 secs and i have 3 devices but the report is running immediately

The refresh will not run every time, only if the device needs to. I would need "verbose logging" enabled to see more. Also, make sure your device also generates activity in response to s refresh at all and that you're on the latest version of the app code.

here is the info you requested as you can see it is not waiting for the refresh response..

ok did some more testing changing times. etc..apparently it is not the wait to refresh that is the issue... the items that havent respond and need refresh is not being rechecked after the refresh..
so any thing it deemed needing refresh is being reported as not responding everytime..