[RELEASE] DarkSky.net Weather Driver, no PWS Required

You can access the weatherSummary attribute and send it to TTS & /or notification. I do this to receive notifications of the weather forecast twice a day as a notification to my phone and on demand by voice to a Google Mini.

@Matthew, does this device have an attribute indicating whether it’s precipitating now?

It does not.

You see any reason I couldn’t approximate one by evaluating condition_text if it contains rain, drizzle, sleet or snow?

This is exactly what I do. Here is my rule. Works great!

2 Likes

@mluck Just wondering why are you putting any effort into using the DarkSky driver when DarkSky is pulling the plug on August 1, 2020?

Suggest using @Matthew 's excellent Open Weather driver

2 Likes

A rule like @craigspree's above should work to be true to the what the driver says Dark Sky is reporting. Just remember that 1) is it a forecast, that is not always accurate to your locations actual conditions. Some areas have more station density reporting to Dark Sky so they are more accurate than areas that have fewer stations reporting. And 2) the frequency you are polling Dark Sky. The conditions only update at the frequency you set in the driver. A rule like this will appear to perform better with more frequent intervals.

Good luck.

1 Like

Dark Sky is discontinuing the Android App on August 1, 2020. The IOS App should still function after that and the API (That this driver uses) will continue to work 'until the end of 2021'. Given that, this driver should function until the end of 2021, or whenever they do shutdown the Dark Sky API.

Yes I missed that exception for the API.

Weather forecasts, maps, and embeds available on the Dark Sky website will also shut down on August 1, 2020.

API
Our API service for existing customers is not changing today, but we will no longer accept new signups. The API will continue to function through the end of 2021.

Fair question. It’s just because I already use it and have for awhile. It’s on my list to move over, just haven’t gotten to it yet. I know the clock is ticking. :astonished:

1 Like

UPDATE: 09/14/2020 I am officially terminating ongoing support for this driver. Please switch over to the OWM version of this driver.

1 Like

why.. open weather is not currently working for alerts (due to a bug at noaa i belive not the driver) but alerts are still working here.

I believe he just means no further work is being done, not a issue as it works fine. As I understand it I have no choice but to keep using this driver as the OWM only works for Americans.

You can still use this driver. I still use this driver.

This is a community driver that @Matthew had made and was supporting - he is no longer supporting it which means no more updates to it with new features, or fixes if a bug is found.

I haven't experienced any bugs in ages so his lack of 'official support' for this should have zero impact on anyone using this driver currently. I will eventually switch over to OWM once we get closer to end-of-live for DarkSky.net public usage in the coming year.

4 Likes

well it will be going away in about a year anyway but until then... the color cast weather alerts i have ported also uses darksky but not this driver.. I will have to convert that over as well eventually to openweather.. not sure what you euros will do?

:man_shrugging:t3: Don't think anyone is working on anything so I guess we will just lose it. For me it improves things having it but it's not the end of the world if I don't have it.

To clarify: OWM is working for alerts. What is not optimal is that when there are no alerts, it does not provide a valid response code to the poll (looking for a response of 200 - OK). Today's update to that driver changed the logic so that condition now reported as 'There are no current alerts for this area' instead of 'Weather alerts are not available'.

Not true I had alerts last week through darksky but.open weather was failing. Search the threads.

As stated, the driver was updated today. If that happens with the current version, please me know.

OK will do