[RELEASE] DarkSky.net Weather Driver, no PWS Required

Anyone having issues with DarkSky's illuminance data? For the past few days, it has been at 5 all day long, even on bright sunny days. I'm getting all of the other data in from DarkSky accurately, but not illuminance for some reason. I use this as a condition to a motion lighting rule and so if I can't get it to work, are there any other localized options for illuminance data beyond buying a motion sensor with a built in illuminance sensing?

Mine is updating:

No other reports of issues from others. Just the usual suggestions to try: Open virtual driver and click 'Save preferences'; Clear browser cache; reboot hub.

1 Like

Is there anyway to get a summary of what the weather alert is? I get a lot of special weather statements alerts. It would be nice to pull that statement info down.

Yes. See this post for that feature. Click on the red weather alert letters in either the myTile or the alertTile. That is a hyperlink to more detailed information.

Sorry I meant to include in the notification. In TTS or a pushover message.

Sorry. This driver does not. Try NOAA Weather Alerts or WDG

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. Your plugin is the only one that pulls for Canada.

More simply, how can I tell if there is precipitation currently? Seems like I could use RM4 to check if Condition_Text contains Rain, Drizzle, Sleet or Snow. But is there a more elegant way?

You can access the weatherSummary attribute and send it to TTS & /or notification. I do this to receive notifications of the weather forecast twice a day as a notification to my phone and on demand by voice to a Google Mini.

@Matthew, does this device have an attribute indicating whether it’s precipitating now?

It does not.

You see any reason I couldn’t approximate one by evaluating condition_text if it contains rain, drizzle, sleet or snow?

This is exactly what I do. Here is my rule. Works great!

2 Likes

@mluck Just wondering why are you putting any effort into using the DarkSky driver when DarkSky is pulling the plug on August 1, 2020?

Suggest using @Matthew 's excellent Open Weather driver

2 Likes

A rule like @craigspree's above should work to be true to the what the driver says Dark Sky is reporting. Just remember that 1) is it a forecast, that is not always accurate to your locations actual conditions. Some areas have more station density reporting to Dark Sky so they are more accurate than areas that have fewer stations reporting. And 2) the frequency you are polling Dark Sky. The conditions only update at the frequency you set in the driver. A rule like this will appear to perform better with more frequent intervals.

Good luck.

1 Like

Dark Sky is discontinuing the Android App on August 1, 2020. The IOS App should still function after that and the API (That this driver uses) will continue to work 'until the end of 2021'. Given that, this driver should function until the end of 2021, or whenever they do shutdown the Dark Sky API.

Yes I missed that exception for the API.

Weather forecasts, maps, and embeds available on the Dark Sky website will also shut down on August 1, 2020.

API
Our API service for existing customers is not changing today, but we will no longer accept new signups. The API will continue to function through the end of 2021.

Fair question. It’s just because I already use it and have for awhile. It’s on my list to move over, just haven’t gotten to it yet. I know the clock is ticking. :astonished:

1 Like

UPDATE: 09/14/2020 I am officially terminating ongoing support for this driver. Please switch over to the OWM version of this driver.

1 Like

why.. open weather is not currently working for alerts (due to a bug at noaa i belive not the driver) but alerts are still working here.