[RELEASE] Chromecast Helper - Simple way to help keep your Google/Nest devices alive

Anyone issue with Chromecast Helper (maybe since 2.2.8, not sure)?
It looks it is only working when I Enable Debug Logging.
The moment Debug logging is tuning off my devices starting to have issues with availability.

Not directly answering your question, but in the most recent version of Hubitat firmware, I no longer have problems maintaining Text-to-Speech output on my Google home devices, and so have stopped using Chromecast Helper.

1 Like

lol, not possible

Yup, with version 2.2.8.xx it shouldn't be necessary anymore but it won't hurt anything either.

I can't see anything on the release notes on change to Chromecast

1 Like

It was in the Beta forum...

May or may not made it into the release. :man_shrugging:

Can a developer confirm if it made to the production release?

Something certainly changed, as on prior firmware releases I used to have multiple failures per day. No failures at all for weeks now.

Can you post a link or copy the text here?

Nope, what happens in the Beta forum stays in the Beta forum. :wink: If/when something is ready, they will let us know (maybe).

If you have access to the forum, just search for chromecast.

Yeah, but it this case it sounds like its ready (people reporting improved Chromecast function in 2.2.8) but they didn't let us know :woozy_face:

1 Like

After updating to Hub firmware 2.2.8 I'm now getting these errors on the Chromecast Speaker device.

09:31:34.396 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:22:49.780 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:20:01.639 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:17:53.289 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:17:22.569 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:16:27.222 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:15:34.825 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
08:59:53.451 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
08:58:37.143 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)

What is trying to set the volume?? Not this app. :man_shrugging:

Just for kicks, disable Helper and see what happens.

Sorry I should have stated that originally. The rule that triggers this doesn't have any volume commands. The rule triggers when doors open/close and has this one simple action
Speak on Office Speaker: '%device% %value%'

Helper is already 'paused' (I paused it after reading that it may not be needed with 2.2.8) But saying that, I just now realized I'm probably reporting this in the wrong place....I think its a new Chromecast Integration app 2.2.8 issue, not Chromecast Helper issue

1 Like

Bingo! :upside_down_face: :grin:

I'm noticing that even with the official integration polling every 60 seconds some Chromecast devices stop responding after a while.
I think we might still need the Helper after all...

3 Likes

I confirm

2 Likes

I have seen this as well. I'm switching back to the helper.

2 Likes

The new built in method doesn't work for me either. Installing the helper now.

Maybe I don't understand what this tool does.

My google dot seems to always miss initial volume adjustments.

After so many minutes, a message is logged

Master Bedroom speaker media source is None

I have a repeating reminder that needs to change the volume, but fails to change the volume on the first iteration. Event the command to reset the volume 20 seconds later fails.

The next iteration (60 seconds later) works just fine. It sets volume to 80, then back to 40.

I can see in the logs that the rule is telling the speaker to change volume, but the first iteration the speaker doesn't show a volume event. The following iterations, the speaker shows the volume events and it works...

Anyone have incite as to why the initial volume command always fails?

All the tool does is send an initialize command every X minutes.
Maybe for troubleshooting you could add an initialize in your rule as a first action, before setting the volume.

To do that in rule machine, you have to use the "run custom action" and select your speaker. Initialize should be listed.

Hope this helps.

Or even simpler, go in the device, click initialize, then set volume and see if it works on the first try.