[RELEASE] BTLE Presence Sensor (Tile Mate)

Yes, apparently it's a 'privacy' feature. How tedious. Oh well, we live in hope.

BTW - Loving this tool otherwise. It's really help solve a problem for me!

Hi Brian,

Is it possible to add "Enable DescriptionText logging" on the device?
So that it shows in the log whenever the device presence is changing?

Thanks

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for putting this out there! It's working great so far with my testing. I made a couple small changes just to pipe the output to Node-RED rather than the HE app (I combine my Unifi presence detection with it), but the underlying function is working out well.

FYI. These are on sale. Any should work B-Stock - Refresh | Tile

1 Like

Thanks! Picked up two more Pros (2020). Much better range than the Mates or the Slim.

Do you have experience with the Pro (2018)? Can't beat the price of those. I am specifically interested in the range performance.

Unfortunately no. I was interested in those as well, but I couldn't argue with my own direct experience and just shelled out for the 2020s. Quick google search states an increased range of 33% over the 2018s though.

1 Like

Great job on bringing this together @brianwilson. I finally got back around to setting this up, which I have succeeded in doing. One thing I did do when detecting the tile was to pop the battery out, running the test script with and without the battery in place.

The python code and the HE side all work, I just seem to have some issues with my Tile Mate dropping in / out of range even relatively close to the rpi. I upped the timeout to 120 seconds and will see how things go, but if anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it. I am wondering if I need to dot my rpi's around the house to try and provide better coverage....

If you re using a pi 4 the BT range is very poor. While I don't use Brians app (I run the original Domoticz version) I use an external dongle with an extension cable to get it a bit more centralised. Even then the range is no more than about 3-4m through brick walls so I also have pi zeros at the far ends of the house to ensure my beacons always get seen.

1 Like

I assume a USB one built for a Windows PC wouldn't work? Like a TP-Link one?

A tplink is exactly what i use!

1 Like

Which one? The UB400 and UB500 (which I have) both mention they don't work with Linux?

UB400. Pretty sure I set the correct interface to listen on but will check when I have a chance. (it's been running for at least 2 years)

1 Like

Is there a chance this will be updated any time soon to work with python3? Bullseye does not support python2 anymore and I've made so many attempts to manually install the python2 reqs for this, but I get hung on conflicts/dependencies for py3. I have this running on a couple pi w's running buster and work great. Want to include it on my server as a 4th part of the house for tracking, but it won't run because several parts are written for py2 and I have tried to convert the scripts to py3 but have failed to do so because my programming isn't the best.

This might help get you started. Sorry I havenโ€™t had time to look at converting to Python 3.

https://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=234199&sid=49b4a6ac9e3a2aedf19d8b03e6445613#p234199

1 Like

Hi @hakarune - Did you have any luck getting the python script to work in python3? I might have something close with the beacon test script, but if you have something you are already using, that would be great...

I managed to get the test script working in python 3 although I could not pull the info out for the "DATA" variable, could only get the RSSI value. In the end I lost interest in trying to upgrade the actual script and just went back to using a buster VM specifically for this application (which is similar to but a little bit more basic than Brian's) as part of my migration from a pi4 to x86.

If I have some spare time I'll have a crack at the script. You could probably use the script linked to on the Domoticz forum but it's missing some of the original code, not sure it it really does make much difference though.

For what its worth, I just built this: BLE (Beacon) Gateway Manager. I figured out how to integrate a BLE gateway (made by April Brother) with iBeacons into Hubitat. I wanted to create something that people could use without having to write or modify code. Looking for feedback, comments, suggestions, and developers to help expand it. Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.