[RELEASE] BigTalker 2.1.0

No worries. Just wanted to report it.

Just loaded the App and there seems to be a problem with setting "Switch(es)" in so much as it flags an error as below and doesn't "speak". I deleted and reloaded the App code just in case something had got screwed up there but the issue remains.
Concept: Wanting the AEON power outlet my fridge is plugged into, to trigger an announcement.
When setting up the switch and trying to test the error is flagged.

error message:

Try hitting Done on the page then go back into the switches event and see if it will work when you toggle the test switch.
If this is a brand new event group, you may need to hit done all the way back to the main BigTalker configuration page to save the group initially then drill back down into it and try the test switch.

@njanda I found this bug. A fix will be in the next release

Sweet as.
This App is capable of some powerful ‘talking’.
Thank you.

@nanda and others.
If you want to test the beta with this fix for the bug that you reported in it download and add the app code from the links below.

Note: Please do not overwrite your non-beta code with this version, install as new app code. This will be installed as BigTalker2-Parent-Dev and BigTalker2-Child-Dev. These can run alongside your non-beta version; just be sure that when reporting issues that you test the issue and capture logs with the non-beta version disabled (how-to link). Also, I do not recommend configuring the same devices/events in both versions as they will collide in attempting to speak.

Beta Parent App Code Link
Beta Child App Code Link

Changes in this beta release (2.0.8.4.1):

• Parent App:
    • Beta version number sync
    • Minor cosmetic change to speech mode selection
  • Child App
    • CAUTION: Corrected settings variable name in Mode event. Users will need to reconfigure the mode change phrase.
    • CAUTION: Corrected settings variable names in Presence event. Users will need to reconfigure sensor selections, personality, resume play, talk restriction and day restriction
    • Added phrase test toggle switch to all event types (was only on motion and switch)
    • Removed Event Type: OvenMode; Not listed on Hubitat capabilities list
    • Adjusted default speech phrases for locks

Cool man. I'll test it out.
Cheers,

Is there any way to get Big Talker to send the MP3 to a Google Home via cast? I am new to the forums and I have looked around and haven't been able to find an answer to this.

@rayzurbock, Man I love BigTalker but this is going to sound a little weird. - Is there a way to limit BigTalker so that it only broadcasts a specific "Event Group" once every 1/2 hour ( or any selectable time period).

reason; Due to a limitation with the HEM doing the power monitoring of my solar system, BigTalker is chatting, way to much (LOL).
Every time the HEM registers a change in power from the solar system, off goes BigTalker - doing his thing :smile:
I can see why it's starting to drive my wife and dogs crazy.

Unfortunately the driver for the HEM does not present anyway to limit what it's reporting.

Thx,
Nic

1 Like

Not currently. I'll give it some thought.
If you are using Power Meter as the event type, it should only speak when your power usage rises above your high threshold, below your low threshold or returns to normal range in between those. If its speaking too much, consider adjusting the thresholds to to ranges that you really want to know about (abnormally high or low usage)

I’m using Power Meter and did exactly as you suggested, I have set 300 as low threshold and 5000 as high threshold but it seems that every fluctuation is getting reported.
I also tried altering a reporting period in the device driver (set it to 3600 sec.) but that made no difference.
Thx for any assistance.
Nic

My BigTalker instance isn’t working with this new upgrade. I’ve updated the new code for the Parent and Child. I’ve also tried deleting the apps and setting up the apps as completely new. I was looking at the logs and I’m seeing the following that basically appears to imply there are no phrases.

For this error, I setup a Configure talk on switch which should be activate when the virtual switch turns on, but no phrases come out.

I’m broadcasting to my Google Mini’s and they light up and make a beep, but that’s it. Any advice would be great, I’m confident it’s on the BigTalker end because my mini’s are recognized via the experimental Hubitat app and/or the webcast API running on a server I have.

————————————————————————

app:3952019-03-26 07:33:25.946 pm errorBIGTALKER2(2.0.8.4) || [PARENT] ERROR: bigtalker - check configuration. phrase is empty for BigTalker Switch

app:3952019-03-26 07:33:22.039 pm errorBIGTALKER2(2.0.8.4) || [PARENT] ERROR: bigtalker - check configuration. phrase is empty for BigTalker Switch

app:3962019-03-26 07:32:55.651 pm infoYou are using the current version of this app

--- Live Log Started, waiting for events ---

I too would like to be able to build voice alerts to a chromecast where it plays a sound clip before speaking. Any chance of that happening? You will probably need a delay variable in the speech thing to ensure that the TTS doesn't step on the sound clip.

Can you try under some other event than switch? I often used switch (and motion) for testing code changes and you may have run into a bug in it (that I likely have corrected an the unreleased dev version). Does your TalkNow function work (BT2 Parent App > TalkNow > Select a device(s) > Type a new phrase and click away from the text box for speech to occur). Can you click Done on the switch config page, then go back into it and toggle the test switch?

Hi. I haven't been able to get big talker to work in HE.

Getting this error on the Sonos
2019-04-05 04:19:36.019 pm [error](http://10.0.1.45/device/edit/186)groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: sonosDriver.playTrackAndRestore() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.Integer) values: [http://10.0.1.45/tts/d7db226e72cde5a18ed909bf1b4147c8.mp3, 6, ...] Possible solutions: playTrackAndRestore(java.lang.Object), playTrackAndRestore(java.lang.Object, java.lang.Object) (playTrackAndRestore)

I have music player selected in BT as the speech mode.

if I click on status in the BT app I get this error in the BT logs
2019-04-05 04:20:03.607 pm [error](http://10.0.1.45/installedapp/configure/256)java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 16 on line 3290 (pageStatus)

It sounds like the HE Sonos driver doesn't support the following call
playTrackAndRestore(uri, duration, volume)

Hubitat doesn't publish their drivers for public view so I can't look at it to see what playTrackAndRestore() supports, something I commonly did under the ST platform to learn how to handle various drivers and find commonalities.

There have been many questions about HE's playTrackAndRestore() function. I don't see a clear answer of the usage of it and the developer documentation doesn't list it.

We are shooting into the wind on this it seems. The HE implementation doesn't seem to match the same parameters that were supported under ST. This is one of the reasons I've pretty much gone silent. There's a lot of code in BT and not much guidance for what I've been custom to know as basic functions under the ST platform (until they changed their entire developer model). I've updated/streamlined a lot of the code in my unpublished version but I don't really have time to support it upon release or much desire given the lack of docs to follow to minimize issues so it's pretty stale right now.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Sorry to hear this. BT was a big part of my ST set up.

If you want to give a test version a shot, I'll make it available to you.

1 Like

NEW RELEASE - 4/6/2019
2.0.8.5 Parent and Child Apps
Use at your own risk! There have been a lot of changes since the last release, I'm sure I forgot to document some.

Parent App Code Link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rayzurbock/BigTalker2/Hubitat/smartapps/rayzurbock/bigtalker2.src/bigtalker2.groovy
Child App Code Link: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rayzurbock/BigTalker2/Hubitat/smartapps/rayzurbock/bigtalker2-child.src/bigtalker2-child.groovy

Parent App Changes:

• Hubitat Community @Cobra Version System(modified)
  • Cosmetic adjustments to the 'About' section of the start page, inclusion of app version status
  • Ability to change app mode from 'musicPlayer' to 'speechSynthesis' or vice versa. CAUTION: selected speech devices may need to be re-selected at the Configuration Defaults page as well as any overrides selected within each event
  • Modified 'Debug logging' switch to auto-disable after 30 minutes. If the switch is enabled, debug logging is enabled for up to 30 minutes. Visiting the Configuration Defaults page anytime during/after that extends the debug logging period unless the switch is toggled to off which ends debug logging immediately.
  • Weather code migration from WeatherUnderground ST/HE platform API to directly use Weather.gov API(US weather only) based on hub GPS lat/long location, supports %weatherxxxx% vars, where xxxx = current, today, tonight, tomorrow
  • Attempt to resolve issues with playTrackAndResume/playTrackAndRestore calls in Hubitat (particularly with Sonos devices; I don't have a Sonos, so I can't test it)

Child App Changes:

• Hubitat Community @Cobra Version System(modified)
  • New event types added
  • Alarm added, supports reaction to Off, Siren, Strobe, Both
  • FilterStatus added, supports reaction to Normal, Replace
  • Talk On Home Mode Change > Restriction > End Time changed from required to not required (debugging?)
  • Smoke alarm test variable corrected to match thrown event (defaultSpeechTest1 > defaultSpeechTested1)
  • Cosmetic and operational issue with buttons
  • Subscription for mode changes adjusted to receive mode changes only
  • Null check added for day restriction
  • Corrected issue with personality enablement/disablement introduced in C2.0.7
  • Corrected issue that prevented scheduling a speech time that was introduced in C2.0.7
  • Corrected issues with debug logging

I'm getting the same error on Sonos with 2.0.8.5

Happy to try again or provide other logs.