[Release] [App] Circadian Daylight (v0.80) (Port)

I'm not exactly trying to break it here :wink: But I do want to confirm that the sunset overrides don't work for everyone and it's not just me.

1 Like

I feel like I'm missing something here. Today, at official sunset, all of my lights went to 100%. This is the first time using CD .80 since I came back to try HE again. I really like what I'm seeing, but I feel I've set something wrong.

I set all of my lights to use CD, they were dimming nicely until the sunset time, then just went full-blind for an unknown reason. Here are my settings:

Thanks for a great app. I can't wait to use some of the new features.

2 Likes

I’ll take a look at this once I get home. My apologies as I’ve been traveling for a few weeks. :slight_smile:

Hey @adamkempenich just wondering about a few things before i go all spend happy with some new smart home tech. I guess i should just let you know what im going for

1. I want to be able to have this Circadian Rhythm throughout my house with all of my bulbs set up to where if they turn off and then on again (by either switches, motion sensors, or door sensors) that the light will hold the temperature and color set by your app.

2. I don't see Lifx on the list of supported devices, but is there a way to use them anyway? I prefer lifx to Hue (own both) and would like to have my whole home lit by Lifx.

Also do the lights need to be able to change color, or would something like Lifx Dawn and Dusk bulbs work?

CD is triggered every time a device is turned on, and periodically every few minutes. As soon as they report On to HE, you’ll see them update :slight_smile:

Thankfully, CD works with every bulb. You can adjust the color temperature range of CD to match your bulbs, and create a couple different running versions of it for different daytime patterns and devices.

There are still a few little issues with it, but both of my hubs are running it and it works well enough. I’ll continue to iron out bugs as time allows.

Let me know if you have any other questions :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply! The only thing left is if I need to get color lighting, or something like the Dawn and disk bulbs from lifx? Have to get about 30 more bulbs for the whole house.

CD accepts any Hubitat compatible lights that use Color Temperature, Color, or Brightness-only. If your LIFX bulbs work with Hubitat, CD will work with them.

Sorry I'm wording my question wrong. Do I need full color spectrum bulbs in order to achieve the full circadian daylight effect, or just temperature and brightness?

Any of the three will work. Totally up to you.

Anything with dedicated color temperature will typically look the best.

I’ve got a few CT-only bulbs, a few CT/RGB, a few RGB-only, and a few dimmable-only bulbs, running CD.

You're never going to get real color temperature using a zwave rgbw strip controller anyway...

@mike.maxwell (Not sure if you meant to respond to this thread or the other one pertaining to your Zigbee lighting project. I’ve been watching that with interest though, as it seems very inline with the few apps I’ve worked on).

But it leads me to a question...
Do you have any data regarding CRI and LED strips in certain controllers? The calculations I use are relatively rough, using bi-color leds, and RGB for extra brightness only (been working on a method that can use all 5 channels at once, though...).

Generally, I view the quality of these controllers to be good enough with what I have and need (until I finish my 5ch method).

Not a bit of it. I'm sure you have found all the maths that I have and nothing I've found includes ct calcs to rgb and two arbitrary white temperature channels...
I'm not about to drop 2K on a spectrophotometer to measure it either...

2 Likes

Gotta love Mike :crazy_face:

2 Likes

@adamkempenich could it be disabled in certain modes?

The option is in there, is it not working? Not that I'd be surprised if I broke it in the last release, but I could have sworn I tested that.

If it's not working, I'll fix it next chance I get (might be a while). For now, I know that the Disable when switch is on/off works, if mode disabling doesn't.

where is it?

are the brightness and temperature overrides to give the app a range that the light can use? i.e my lamps can do 2700 to 6500 so i would put that?

Apparently, not in the public releases. :joy:

Exactly. 2700k-6500k are the defaults, but you can change them here

1 Like

Question about circadian in general...I have a mix of color, temp and fixed temp bulbs. I have a couple rooms that have a mix of fixed temp bulbs and colored bulbs. Is it recommended for full circadian to move to dynamic temp bulbs?

Scenario kitchen:

• Bulbs above kitchen island are controlled by zwave switch. They are dimmable but have a fixed temp color.
  • Bulbs above counters are color changing LEDs

How would this look in the room if circadian is working for half the room while the other is fixed temp? OR (and I think this is the answer) do you replace all bulbs with dynamic temp bulbs?

You raise a couple of interesting ideas for future implementation, but I’ll address your questions first.

The dimmable bulbs would change brightness throughout the day (if you set that up), and the other lights would change color temperature.

If your lights match up well enough when you use them together (CD will do its best to create an accurate color temperature with RGB devices). If you’re okay with the slight (or perhaps not so slight) difference in color temperature and inaccuracies of those colors, you would be able to mix them.

Now ... a new idea.

Currently, dimmers only work with the brightness option, but I suppose they could work with color temperature, if we know what the color temperature of those bulbs are. If you had a room with two dimmers—one where the bulbs are 2700k, and one where the bulbs are 6000k, you could mix their color temperatures to create a range of temperatures in-between. We call this salting-and-peppering the lights, in film, but it could be a very real option for this situation. It could also automatically brighten certain lights during the daytime, and dim other ones, depending on the time of the day.

Another situation is dumb bulbs that change color temperature — the philips warm glow bulbs do this (2700k-2300k) as they dim. The non-smart bulbs in my house are this way.

I wish philips made a 6000k-2300k version of this bulb. If anyone knows a way to get philips to make this project happen, I’d be all ears.

1 Like