[Deprecated] Amazon Alexa Text to Speech (TTS) v0.6.2 - Direct Integration (USA, Canada, UK, Italy, Australia, & Brazil)

Has anyone else’s cookie expired? I had two different cookies, one on my production hub and one on my development hub. Both seem to have stopped working... I am not sure when they stopped, as I don’t issue TTS commands every day.

Mine worked 10 minutes ago.

At five days, mine is still good. I was curious how long they last so I’ve got a TTS triggering every four hours. Hopefully I can catch it in the logs when it expires.

1 Like

Great! Thanks for tracking this data.

I created a new cookie and all is well again. Perhaps the lack of use on my part contributed to the cookie expiring? I may need to set up some sort of automatic keep-alive feature within the App. Even just pulling back the list of devices once a day may be enough to keep the cookie alive an well. If anyone has any other ideas, I am all ears.

1 Like

I created the cookie about 10 days ago and I've only used it once or twice since then, but I just tested and it's still working...

2 Likes

same for me as Kevin. Created it using his Chrome method and used it that day and again just now to test.

Working fine, as of this moment.

I use mine 1-2 a day and it expired as well yesterday (I think I was working). Used firefox to create the cookie. It may have got reset from logging into Alexa again when I was creating other Alexa routines.
I recreated a cookie using Microsoft Edge will see if it sticks.

2 Likes

Is it possible that just opening the Alexa app is enough to trigger a new login event and cookie expiration?

I wouldn't think so... Have you tried it to see what happens?

I'm not currently using it--just following the thread,

1 Like

OOh, I would like to get in on trying this also on ST since I'm not all moved yet.

2 Likes

I've had my running with 2-3 messages per day to 1-3 Alexa's for over 10 days and haven't had any issues!

1 Like

Looks like they got something cooking over there. Hopefully they solved the cookie issue.

1 Like

Interesting development. I noticed this morning I'm only able to send messages to two of my Echos. I had it set for three and I get the following:

regarding the max 3 echo devices in a group.
I have 7 (4 dots, a spot, an ecobee4, fire HD8) plus 2 Sonos (set as a speech device)
I have been able to get a message to transmit on all devices but I had to send a message a second time within 30 seconds after first message.
(there was some delay on some devices)

I tried 2 seperate rules one fired after the other and that worked if your first rule had the same or longer length message than the second rule's message.
note: you must let the first rule message complete before sending the second.

To be clear when the first rule fires it only sends it to the first 3 echo devices.
It looks like the first 3 in Alphabetical order get the message (occasionally a 4th device will pass the message not sure how it determines which fourth though) .

could be an issue with the driver

Alexa TTS manager gives this same log as above when first rule message failed to transmit on devices.
error'speakMessage()': Error making Call (getMessage): Bad Request
error'speakMessage()': Error making Call (Status): 400
error'speakMessage()': Error making Call (Data): [message:Rate exceeded]

the Sonos always play the message.

I wonder if you could set the first rule to send something like a letter or a space. Basically something to "tickle" the Echos and not take more than say 1 sec. Then fire the second rule. This would allow the first rule to complete and have the second rule be longer than the first.

I tried that and more devices did transmit but not 100% of them and unable to reliably determine which after the initial 3 would get the message.
The first message had to be the same length or longer for 100% transmission on the second message.
or you can just send the original message twice as long as it finishes the first one and you send it within 30 seconds of finishing.

your device not transmitting how did you create your cookie? (just curious may have nothing to do with it) I am also trying to determine how cookies get expired

using that idea and simply adding -------------------- to a short message
for example instead of just excuse me tried ------------------------------- excuse me
as long as the -- was longer than the second message and that worked.
can not just use --- though echo starts talking
so I used "excuse me" rule prior to an announcement rule.

did not work reliably

a separate bug
I have also noticed that rarely but sometimes the second rule does not fire at all it is not even getting sent to TTS manager (timing issue maybe)
doesn't seem to be an issue if firing the same rule twice

I used the chrome method above. I rebooted my hub due to some strange stuff, (possibly due to the time change) and then I had to generate a new cookie.

Just found out that Alexa login expires after 2 weeks (14 days) exactly.

1 Like