[RELEASE] Abode Alarm system driver

Thanks, looked at the code + Fiddler with https://my.goabode.com/

Still not working, here's what I tried:

a) Tried IFTTT.com integration:

FAIL - no motion sensor option

b) Created a new gmail account + added a CUE automation that sends an e-mail when motion is detected

Pretty crazy that I have to do this but no other option it seems.

c) Added a hubitat rule

It worked but for some reason, only 1 event showed up in hubitat:

Anyways clearly going for a new motion sensor instead of this hackery.

An idea that might appeal to some people, Hubitat has a Cloud end point Trigger:

Create a:
a) New e-mail address abode@mydomain.com
b) Use AWS Amazon Simple Email Service | Cloud Email Service | Amazon Web Services to receive incoming e-mails and POST to Hubitat Cloud end point Trigger.

That's a more reliable (from a supported API standpoint) but likely slower solution.

2 Likes

Hi, @endorphin_junkie , another request to know what platform you're using please? I assume this is nothing secret.

So tonight my Hubitat and Abode suddenly stopped communicating.

If I go to the Hubitat Abode parent page, it shows: isloggedin: false so I think that is the problem, but I have no idea how to fix it.

1. I re-entered my username & PW, no help.
  2. I turned on Debug & Trace. I see several instances of this:
    "java.net.UnknownHostException: my.goabode.com: Temporary failure in name resolution"
    It looks like the error at the time it stopped working was:
    "Socket ping timeout - Disconnecting Abode event socket"

Anyone have any directions on how I fix this, without uninstalling then reinstall the entire Abode App/Driver, etc then updating all automations associated with it?

ETA: I went to the Parent device and re-entered the username & PW, and resaved, but it remains unconnected.

ETA: Fixed. This was apparently related to changing my Hubitat settings so Hubitat would have a static IP address, as recommended in another thread. As soon as I changed the Hubitat network settings back to DHCP I was able to reconnect my Abode.

@endorphin_junkie : Just wanted to thank you very much for taking the time to write this driver and share it with others. I know you posted above that you are no longer using it so you no longer update it, but it still works, and it is much appreciated! Thank you.

2 Likes

Still works for me as well . It does get logged out periodically but I've set up a notification using Event Engine to let me know when isloggedin becomes false, and I just log back in.

I am thinking of jumping in with Abode. I am in the process of replacing my aging GE Caddx system that is actually still hooked up through Homeseer! I see on the HASS forums that many are using Abode through HomeKit for local control. Is this possible through the Hubitat HomeKit connection? Thanks.

I can't answer your specific question, however that path would not use the Abode Alarm driver referenced in this thread. That path would be HE -> Homekit -> Abode and back. So in Hubitat you would use the Homekit software/apps.

As for the driver referenced in this thread, it works great but relies on the internet. It gets its data from the Abode timeline, and the only way to view that is via the web (app or website). Also, I believe that for this driver to work you must subscribe to an Abode plan, because if you don't the timeline is not visible to you.

Homekit is probably a good way to go. The Abode / Hubitat integration is essential to many of my automations, and I'm somewhat concerned about what I would do if it stops working. Your post has given me my plan B - I'll set up HomeKit.

Thanks, let me know whether the HomeKit Beta connection exposes the Abode alarm system or devices. I will also post separately to see if anyone has had experience with alarm panels through HomeKit.

Also, I assume the Abode Gateway is all that is needed - I don't need wifi, the camera, or built in motion sensor? Thanks

@simon4 : my response was poorly worded. My plan B, to set up HomeKit, will not get implemented if/until there is no longer a direct and functional Abode/ Hubitat integration such as via the current Abode driver.
I'm sure there are others who have already set up the Abode / HomeKit connection / Hubitat. If you don't find them here you could probably get a response to just about anything Abode /Homekit related over at the Reddit Abode board.
In terms of what hardware you need, I think you may be asking if the Abode Gateway with ethernet is sufficient for the Abode / Homekit / HE integration path, or if you need the Iota, that includes wifi and a camera activate by a motions sensor . From what I have read both work equally well.

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know about the gateways. I will likely mount it in my wiring cabinet so don't need the camera, etc.

I haven't seen anyone comment on using Abode through HomeKit/Hubitat connection so will poke around on the reddit.

One other question - what's the lag time on sensors. When you trigger a motion sensor how long does Hubitat take to respond? I am using my old alarm system to trigger lights from the motion sensors and some door sensors so was curious if that would still be doable now. Thanks again.

I use this abode driver to control virtual contact sensors, and the lag time between me opening a door (with an abode door sensor installed) and Hubitat reflecting that in the virtual contact sensor is under half a second, when things are running smoothly.

My main concern is the stability of it all. The driver is great for what it is (thank you @endorphin_junkie for all your hard work on this!!!), but there have been too many times where the cloud connection drops off, or my authentication to the API stops working, and things around my house come to a grinding halt. I would LOVE for someone to continue to move this integration forward more, maybe converting it into an app that tracks the cloud services/API authentication better and notifies when things go awry, and an automatically generated gateway device/child devices for all of the abode-connected sensors and devices (so I can stop my Rule Machine/gatewayTimeline hackery :slight_smile: )

Thanks for the information. I wonder if the HomeKit approach would improve the stability?

@quinnjudge (and @simon4) - Seems you are partially in luck. @racooke posted a modification to the Abode Alarm driver code intended to solve the logging off problem.
Lately, my Abode unexplained logoff had diminished, but it still happened about once a month. Last week I made the driver code modification and added the associated rule, both as explained at the post below, and so far, so good....

1 Like

Looks good. I am curious how the whole HomeKit - abode interface works. I posted some questions on the HASS forum but got nothing. In theory this provides local control which should be quite fast. I will order some equipment and give it a try.

For those of us who are struggling to understand the above, would you please be able to explain this a bit more?

I'm trying to use an Abode motion sensor as a trigger for an action in HE.

1. Is it correct that the only way to do this is to cause a unique message to appear on the Abode timeline to be the HE trigger?
  2. When the Abode system is in a mode that the motion sensor does not trigger the alarm, the motion sensor activity does not appear on the Abode timeline. Is there any way to cause it to appear?
  3. If there is no way to cause the motion sensor activity to appear in the timeline is creating a CUE rule triggered by the motion sensor the only other option?
  4. Any suggestions for a "fake" CUE action? I could do a notification to my phone, but prefer not to clog my phone with a bunch of notifications....
1 Like

Figured out how to do it.

The Abode Motion sensor will not report to the Abode timeline when the Abode status does not trigger a motion sensor alarm. So if Abode is in standby, and no motion sensors are set to trigger an alarm in Standby, Abode ignores the motion sensor event and it does not report to the timeline.

So per @jbondc 's post above, I created a CUE Automation triggered by the motion sensor detecting movement.

Per @jbondc 's image of the Abode timeline above, that will cause the motion sensor to report motion to the timeline even when the motion does not trigger an alarm.

However, also per @jbondc 's post above, you can only use the first instance of this event as a Hubitat trigger. In other words, Hubitat ignores a timeline event that is an exact duplicate of the previous timeline event.

I solved for this using an extra "Abode Smart Power Switch" (a plug). In Abode, I made a CUE automation with the Motion Sensor as the trigger, and turning on the smart switch for x duration as the action. Abode reports both the trigger and the smart switch action to the timeline.

First I just toggled the smart switch, but since the motion immediately toggled the smart switch, Abode was inconsistent in which of the two it reported first, so sometime the timeline would report the switch toggle before the motion sensor trigger. This could then cause two motion sensor trigger reports in a row, and Hubitat ignores the second. By setting the smart switch to stay on for x minutes, the smart switch will also report going off to the timeline.

So:

1. Abode timeline reports the CUE automation triggered by the motions sensor as well as the Abode switch going on. It can report these in any order

2. Hubitat triggers on the specific CUE automation (motion sensor triggered) reported by Abode

3. Hubitat action resulting from the trigger is to turn on a light for Y minutes.

4. Abode CUE automation action defines the switch to only stay on for x minutes (note: x MUST be less than y for this to work). At the end of x minutes, Abode CUE automation reports to the timeline that the switch is off. Hubitat recognizes this timeline report but takes no action.

5. Another trigger of the Abode motion sensor starts the sequence described above in item 1. Since the last timeline entry is the switch going off, Abode will recognize the next instance of the timeline CUE automation triggered by the motion sensor as a new, unique event, and keep the light on.

Seems to work...and does not involve IFTTT, unique email addresses, and other hackery.
The key is just to get a DIFFERENT timeline event to show in Abode between the triggers of the motion sensor, so that Hubitat will recognize subsequent instances of the timeline event. I suspect that the Abode to Hubitat integration is written to recognize CHANGES to the timeline, rather than simply new reports/updates to the timeline. I suspect there is probably some way to cause Hubitat to recognize sequential but duplicate Abode timeline entries using the "Last Message Received" field that shows up in the Hubitat Abode device, but the method I described above seemed the simplest to me.

If someone knows how to use the "Last Message Received" field to improve upon this, that would be great.

1 Like

So I am trying to setup a rule machine where a virtual button gets pressed and sets the alarm to Home. Then hit it again and it sets it to standby. I want to add a button to my kitchen dashboard so that my wife and kid can just push it to arm the system at night. :slight_smile:

but when I go into rule machine I can't see any option to do this, thoughts?
I have created a virtual switch called Alarm On.

my thought is:

When alarm on is "on" set Abode to Home
When alarm on is "off" set Abode to Standby

Has anyone figured out how to detect an "alarm triggered" state in the timeline? I'd like to have a RM rule trigger based on it. Currently using an IFTTT virtual switch to do this but would prefer to skip the "middle man" if possible.

Thanks in advance

I figured it out, had to go through the thread but it ended up having to be a Run Custom Action, then actuator, then I was able to select the modes I want to set the alarm.